CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Hey Ned
CSX2367 didn't happen to have two four barrels did it?
Larry
Not that I recall, no. It was a 1-owner car until earlier this year, so it could not have been your boss' car.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Especially the guy who actually collects all that data.
Thank you Mr.Computerworks - kudos to you and the job you do as well!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     
Default Old Thread Reopened

This is an old thread reopened but sort-of on topic.
Does anyone have the correct paint color information used for the Team Stripes used on the FIA cars?
I would think it woiuld be the AC paint colors on hand used that was used to repair the shipping damaged chassis and perhaps the "Moon" yellow since it was probably handy to the shelby shop? Any guidance would be appericated.
Thanks,

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 01-27-2014, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
.....The original FIA Shelby Team Cars in 1964 were Princess Alice Blue....
Yes, but there were other teams like Hitchcock/Tchkotous (CSX 2155) which raced also in April of 1964 at Targa Florio.

The CSX 2155 289FIA was Wimbledon white. The car had the number 152.
Since 1999 stripped and on display at the Shelby Museum.

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 01-27-2014, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Viking Blue "64" 289 FIA comp car by Superformance #0002, Keith Craft - 331 (460HP), Jim Inglese - 48IDA Weber carbs, BW T10 4spd.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
This is an old thread reopened but sort-of on topic.
Does anyone have the correct paint color information used for the Team Stripes used on the FIA cars?
I would think it woiuld be the AC paint colors on hand used that was used to repair the shipping damaged chassis and perhaps the "Moon" yellow since it was probably handy to the shelby shop? Any guidance would be appericated.
Thanks,
There were a total of (5) FIA Cars - All "Viking Blue". The following lists the team stripe color and chassis... although not all cars always wore a team stripe.

White - CSX 2259
Maroon - CSX 2301
Red - CSX 2323
Yellow - CSX 226O
White - CSX 2345

I can't answer your specific question about the correct color (Yellow) but thought you may find the attached photo a useful reference…. looks like that yellow really popped!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your reply. Looking for what is known of the actual paint colors. As I mentioned, I would guess that they would use the AC repair paint on-hand. And the yellow looks so much like "moon" yellow. Difficult to tell from period photos with fading, computer monitor display variations and enhancement capabilities
nkb likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.

Last edited by Blas; 01-27-2014 at 12:09 PM..
Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
The first 100 + Cobras only came in red, black, or white. CSX 2104 was the first car to break the trend, and it was Guardsman Blue.
Very strange! As I know csx 2058 (#58 built)(260cid) was Brit Green. It was one of only two 260 AC's with the louvered hood option. If it was repainted. Some one took the original paint all the way down to the bondo coat before painting it Brit Green. During the time I was around 2058 in the later 60's, early 70's, there were paint chips going all the way down to the bondo coat. There was no other original color showing other than a primer base. Red if I remember. I do remember 2058 had a factory installed one gallon peach can cut to form an air duct under the hood to the cockpit.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversmith View Post
Very strange! As I know csx 2058 (#58 built)(260cid) was Brit Green. It was one of only two 260 AC's with the louvered hood option. If it was repainted. Some one took the original paint all the way down to the bondo coat before painting it Brit Green. During the time I was around 2058 in the later 60's, early 70's, there were paint chips going all the way down to the bondo coat. There was no other original color showing other than a primer base. Red if I remember. I do remember 2058 had a factory installed one gallon peach can cut to form an air duct under the hood to the cockpit.
The Registry shows that 2058 was repainted 1966 Corvette Moss Green and an upholstery change to black vinyl. The car resided in NJ at the time.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy View Post
You are indeed incorrect. No street cars came with stripes. The comp cars were mostly shipped unpainted, although I think some of the early ones were shipped painted black or red.

These are I.C.I. paint codes. The Rosso Chiaro formula is in the PPG Nexa system, which is how I got it for my car. They formulated it as a two-stage. I remember asking about some other codes but they couldn't find them in the system; not sure which ones, although one was probably Ruby Red.

AC1 Guardsman Blue 4424m Single stage urethane, c262b Base/Clear
AC2 Dark Blue fg47 single stage
AC3 Mist Silver 6182m single stage
AC4 Ruby Red 6192m single stage
AC5 Canary Yellow fg38
AC6 Lt. Green 5302m single stage, 5vf9b Base/Clear
AC8 Rosso Chiaro fg39 single stage
AC9 Pure White fg46 single stage
AC11 Mushroom 6189m single stage
AC12 Vineyard Green ej29 single stage
AC13 Live Oak 6188m single stage
AC14 Sand 6190m single stage
AC15 Princess Blue 6191m single stage
I'm trying to identify the right color for my ERA 289 slabside. The color seems to be the Ruby Red mentioned above or the AC light maroon metallic. Back in high school there was a new one in maroon with black interior in the local Ford dealer and I have dreamed about it ever since. However, I haven't found any reference in any book so far to it ever being offered in this maroon color. Also, the AC color chart shows a maroon metallic and I can't remember if the car still in my dreams was metallic or not. It was 50 years ago. Any help or comments or direction would be great.

Gordon
Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Anyone using the above chart to compute what might be correct for a 60's Cobra should know that back then AC Cars did not use Guardsman Blue. The standard blue metallic used on Cobras was their "Bright Blue," and this was different than Ford's Guardsman Blue. Close, but not a match.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonsen View Post
I'm trying to identify the right color for my ERA 289 slabside. The color seems to be the Ruby Red mentioned above or the AC light maroon metallic. Back in high school there was a new one in maroon with black interior in the local Ford dealer and I have dreamed about it ever since. However, I haven't found any reference in any book so far to it ever being offered in this maroon color. Also, the AC color chart shows a maroon metallic and I can't remember if the car still in my dreams was metallic or not. It was 50 years ago. Any help or comments or direction would be great.

Gordon
One of the AC Cobras my buddy had was a slab side 289, CSX 2374 if I remember. It was metallic maroon in color. That was a little rocketship stoplight to stoplight! With a 411 in the rear end, she was a absolute terror and a blast! While a slabside like CSX 2058. Sitting next to each other, CSX 2374's fenders extended out further than 2058's allowing for a little more rubber, even though both were slabsides. But I also remember CSX 2374's color. It wasn't the strongest or deep metallic maroon color; actually it was on the slightly lighter side. But I do remember that color well.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
One of the AC Cobras my buddy had was a slab side 289, CSX 2374 if I remember. It was metallic maroon in color. That was a little rocketship stoplight to stoplight! With a 411 in the rear end, she was a absolute terror and a blast! While a slabside like CSX 2058. Sitting next to each other, CSX 2374's fenders extended out further than 2058's allowing for a little more rubber, even though both were slabsides. But I also remember CSX 2374's color. It wasn't the strongest or deep metallic maroon color; actually it was on the slightly lighter side. But I do remember that color well.
Approximately .5" wider flare to the later cars with the switch from 5.5" Dunlop wheels to 6" Dunlop wheels.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, I found in a book I bought in 1965, The Cobra Story by Shelby himself talking to John Bentley published by Trident, that in 1964 it was offered in "red, maroon,white, black, bright blue, princess blue, and silver". That Metallic Merlot looks about as close as I've seen to what I remember.

What I don't remember is whether the maroon Cobra I saw in the showroom was metallic or not. It was really nice looking, but, as a 17 year old, I didn't focus and don;t remember whether it was metallic or not. In my dreams, it isn't metallic. I'm wondering whether its not Jaguar Imperial Maroon (JAG302). That color was British, was available at the time, and AC cars would have had access to it at the time. There were not many paint variations offered in 1965.

Gordon

Last edited by gmonsen; 03-26-2015 at 05:33 AM..
Old 03-26-2015, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The name of the color on CSX2374 is Rouge Iris.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is this of any help?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Blas; 03-26-2015 at 10:16 AM..
Old 03-26-2015, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
The name of the color on CSX2374 is Rouge Iris.
Yep. Except I haven't found the paint formulation for "Rouge Iris". Do you know if it was a metallic or not? I just can't find what that color is through any code cross referencing. I don't think they had a color mixed up special for the cars and suspect it must be some maroon that was around at the time, like Ford's Royal Maroon or Jaguar's Imperial Maroon or possibly even Regency Red.

Blas... Thanks. I've seen that and the codes on the back. It says "Maroon", which is the only name I found in early books or on the Shelby Register. I've tried searching down "Rouge Iris" (or "Maroon" expressed as Red-Blue, right). I mean, there are several maroons I'd probably be happy with, but I did fall in love with the original color and can take the time to figure it out.

Here's a link to a 1964 289 MKII in "Maroon" and that's basically the car I saw in the showroom as a teenager. Maroon with a black interior. It didn't have the hood scoop, but, hey.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ca...?id=lmzr55k5rd

Gordon

Last edited by gmonsen; 03-26-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

2374 was repainted black, then blue, and, after a rebody, red. So its original Rouge Iris ain't telling if it was metallic or not.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CSX2374 was a simi metallic color. I remember that well because Stevie and I talked about the metallic finish several times saying it was the only AC we knew of that had a metallic finish. It was like a fine goldish metallic hue within the paint. Sorry to hear it is not the same color as original, but every owner has their own preference. CSX3116, the bad boy of the group was originally a white street version and now looks like a SC with blue with white stripes. In some ways AC's are somewhat like Mustangs in that they are often modified by their owners. A distinction the Mustang holds now for being the most highly owner/modified mass productions car.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay, according to paintref.com, Royal Maroon was the only maroon Ford made in the 64-65 period. It was originally a Lincoln color. So, if Ford controlled the type of paint used, its Royal Maroon. If Shelby or AC controlled the choice of paint, it could have been Royal Maroon or it could have been Jaguar's Imperial Maroon. When I find out who controlled the choice, that will pick the paint. One or the other. Or, not, if something or somebody comes up with the right color and its not one of those.

Sorry for all this discussion about what maroon paint to use, but once I realized that my car had to be painted the same color as the one I saw and dreamt about for so many years, I became fixated on having the "right" color.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Found this:
Rouge Iris
and this
CSX3004 Maroon Color ?

Last edited by Blas; 03-27-2015 at 07:45 AM..