23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

John, man really sorry to hear about your problem(s). I'm sure it will get sorted, but don't let this setback take the shine off of your experience. Good luck getting it back on the road and please continue to post updates so we can all learn and share your pain!

Mark
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice meeting you last night Tinny and as others have said, we feel your pain.

I see the transmission you used started out life as a 4R70w which is a computer controlled Ford automatic overdrive. These transmissions come with an intergral torque converter housing that mates to late windsors or modular motors and require a modfication and an adapter to fit the FE motor.

The internals really need to be worked over too to handle the additional power as in stock form are supposedly good for a maximum of 400 hp.

Finally a computer control operates the transmission which controls up down lockup firmness and all other aspects of the transmission.

They can be made to handle over a 1000 horsepower.

Your gear hunting problem is most likely a matter of seperating your shift points and throttle position settings.

As far as the rest of whats going on I don't have a clue, but I would really suspect an issue with the fitment of the transmission, correct clearance between the torque converter and flexplate. Not enough clearance and it will eat the thrust bearing out of the motor and/or ruin the front pump of the transmission.

I am mentioning this because when the find the cause, you may have other damage that is not immediately apparent. I would be very insistant that you are properly informed of what they find and what they check for.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have found it not unusual for a new roller / engine combo to have 20 plus problems the first year. Examples include, turn signal malfunction, thermo swithc, water pump leaks, fuel gauage sending etc. My first advice is get an attorney involved and determine what your options if any for a full refund, reimbursement. You have wasted to much of your life on this, in all honesty your story is worst than any back surgery and the pain is 50 times longer than surgery.

You want a cobra, buy a used one someone has already sorted, there are pleny out there.

Once again get an attorney, give them the facts, let it go.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Well, I Agree, Kinda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
I have found it not unusual for a new roller / engine combo to have 20 plus problems the first year.
I agree with that. Be it CSX/Kirkham/ERA/SPF or anything in between.

Quote:
My first advice is get an attorney involved and determine what your options if any for a full refund, reimbursement.
I don't agree with that (unless he's also an amateur Cobra mechanic that's going to fix the car himself).

Quote:
You have wasted to much of your life on this, in all honesty your story is worse than any back surgery and the pain is 50 times longer than surgery.
Let's not get carried away. Remember, this is just a car. Something broke on it and it can certainly be fixed. It can be fixed as good as new; better than new, in fact.

Quote:
You want a cobra, buy a used one someone has already sorted, there are plenty out there.
Well, that's probably true and good advice. But, he wouldn't get exactly what he wanted if he did it that way.

Quote:
Once again get an attorney, give them the facts, let it go.
Only as an absolute last resort. Give the builder a chance to make it right. It sounds like what Car Nut posted, and from what I vaguely remember, is probably the problem. I know that every time I broke down in my ERA out in the boondocks it bugged me, but now, in hindsight, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought at the time. This, too, will pass. You'll get the car fixed up, eventually, and you'll have a lot of fun with it. Having a Cobra "custom made" for you is not just a business deal, and it's certainly not like buying a rug by the side of the road; it's more like a relationship. If the builder is a good, honest person, it will all work out in the end.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I know the feeling, what a disappointment!!! I'm guessing it was something simple, it'll be fixed & you will be on your way again, for the long haul. I know patience is what it takes to get one of these cars. So give it just a little bit more & I bet this incident will be something you can happily put behind you. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wells View Post
Buzz,

You said
One thought - have you considered (if it's even possible) putting a manual valve body in the slushbox? You'll still be clutchless and at least you won't have to worry about unpredictable up and down shifts. In a high powered Cobra, you want to make sure you're in full control. With all that torque, a surprise shift while negotiating a sharp turn, changing lanes to pass or accelerating on a damp off ramp could ruin your day in a real big hurry my friend.

Is this based on experience, or is it speculation?

I've run my automatic at Sebring, Daytona, Gainesville, Roebling Road and others for literally hours at my limit without any difficulties induced by a "surprise shift."

I have had, um, unexpected directional excursions but none could in any way be linked to the trans - only to my lack of skill!

I'm curious as to what experience(s) you may have had that prompted you to make this remark. Seems to me the incidents you propose as dangerous could also be accomplished with a stick shift, and seem to involve accelerating in inappropriate circumstances not related to the type of trans.

Can you enlighten me?

Tom
Tom, first off, I don't want this to become a perceived issue of defending an affront to automatic transmissions in Cobras. I have owned and driven a few high powered auto trans cars but never in a light, short wheelbased car like a Cobra. I am no expert in the field and my thoughts are based on HIS experience with THAT transmission and engine combo.

I acknowledge your experience with your car but I stand by my position that unpredictable up and downshift hunting as well as "grabbing" - which I interpret to mean harsh or hard gear changes - in a Cobra with 572rwhp/566tq can land an inexperienced driver in serious trouble under certain not-so-far fetched circumstances. You are right in saying that the same problems can occur in a manually shifted car, but at least the application of power and torque multiplication are fully within the driver's control. Not so in a malfunctioning automatic.

Car Nut seems to know a lot about the 4R70W transmission and if he and others feel it can be tamed and made to function smoothly and predictably behind John's 511, then problem solved.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-19-2011, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET_COP View Post
Tin, the smoke is throwing me off here. Where, what kind of smell, how long??
I was ready to say the coupling between the engine and the trans until that clue. Engine and trans at the same time?? no way. Flexplate break loose and cut the back of the oil pan? Was the smoke a transmission oil smell?
I hope this fix goes smooth and please keep us posted.
Lou
There was a hot smell of oil that I recall and the smoke was a lightish brown color and was fleeting, moving from left to right of this engine picture. Remember I was sitting in the drivers seat and it looked as though it came from the filter that sticks up on the left side of the long black header cover, but it could have come from the area near the rear.

tin-man

Old 06-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-man View Post
There was a hot smell of oil that I recall and the smoke was a lightish brown color and was fleeting, moving from left to right of this engine picture. Remember I was sitting in the drivers seat and it looked as though it came from the filter that sticks up on the left side of the long black header cover, but it could have come from the area near the rear.

tin-man
But there were no "puddles" of anything left under your car, correct? That smoke might very well be a red-herring that was the result of the engine not cranking right because the trans is locked/jammed on it, maybe a backfire, oil spritz out the breather, who knows. I know you think your car is "trashed," but it very well could be something pretty simple once they pull the trans away from the engine and have a look-see.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

tinman,

So sorry to hear about the problems. As Patrick said, they're just cars. Small potatoes in the big picture of life.

This car is everything you wanted and it's special and unique. You could buy a sorted car (there IS a lot of value in that) but your car will get sorted out. And for who? The NEXT guy?

This is your baby. I know the build has been long and arduous, but you just got it. And realistically, this may be the first of a few issues. This was not a vanilla build.

Hang in there, tinman.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Buzz,

Thanks for clearing that up.

If the trans can accelerate or decelerate the car unpredictably then maybe you have something.

Having said that, I'm sometimes called "doubting Thomas" for good reason

Tom
Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Slight thread drift but it may be of interest to the Tin-man

I hope I didn't just clear up the fact that I'm out to lunch on this!
As far as the trans being able to accelerate or decelerate the car - that will happen if it decides to change gears (up or down) on its own at any given RPM.

I have to admit that I am genuinely curious though about the hows (and whys) of flogging an automatic Cobra around a road course. Can the transmission ever be programmed to be intuitive and flexible enough in determining when and why to shift, or do you just come to anticipate that it will shift based on your throttle input and adapt your driving style accordingly?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 06-19-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Tin,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Having owned 3 SPF's I can tell you that all three took time to get sorted out, with one thing or another.

When I sold 1380 the guy asked why it was such a big deal to say "it is fully sorted out", because it is a big deal. These cars can be quirky.

All that said, think clearly and make good decisions moving forward. I know it's frustrating but in the end you will get your dream car.

Best of luck!

Eric
Old 06-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Tin-Man,

Just to make sure I haven't forgot your plight, don't give up! A lot of us have had this type of experience - dare I say it is normal? Each one of these creations is unique and reflects the individuality of the person guiding the construction.

Hang in there - you'll look back on this episode and someday (probably not real soon but soon enough) be able to laugh about it.

Buzz,

No technique for me at the race track. Actually the same as on the street: put it in drive and drive. I use two feet; one for the brake one for the go pedal. My oldest son who has driven it extensively at the track only uses his right foot.

Interestingly, he and I often steer the car using only the accelerator when we are driving at 8 or 9 tenths: it's a Zen state that transcends reality when it happens - kind of like a dream state; some would describe it as "being in the zone." The car is predictable, brakes well and is a dream to drive on the track once you figure out the correct way to do it.

The "zone" only seems to happen for me once in a long while. When it does it is most welcome. I'm a slow learner and waaay linear - my brother in law said I could easily win a "can't walk and chew gum at the same time contest" which explains the automatic in my car. The fact that there is, um, adequate horsepower helps a lot. If I had to learn heel and toe and shifting I'd be years learning the basics. With the automatic I can remember right=go, left=stop and concentrate on learning the line and braking points.

Anyway that's the short version. If you want the full one, a couple of single-malts might be necessary

Tom
Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Tin-Man, Hang in there and sorry to hear of the disappointment. I brought mine home and after driving it for a few hours & parking it on our freshly poured exposed aggregate driveway, I noticed an oil puddle the size of a basketball. I was thinking the worse! After pin pointing the problem and cleaning the oil soaked under carriage, the guys at Performance Engineering in Ross, OH forgot to put the "O" ring in the speedometer cable.

So keep the faith! Hopefully yours will be an easy fix because it sure will be worth it when it's all said and done. Good Luck & can't wait to hear the outcome.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Tin Man, I hope it is something simple and they will get you back on the road soon. My very first test drive before I had actually taken possesion of the car myself and the mechanic stopped to fill up for fuel and then found all the fuel pouring out below the care. It turns out the good folks at Shelby had not tightened all the bolts holding everything together. I am NOT a mechanic but it would appear the programming on the auto trans would be the culprit.

I had a SPF with a 514 BBF with an automatic with paddle shifters that would snap your neck off until they adjusted the shift points and then it was a sweet ride that shifted smoother than any 4 or 5 speed. I actually regret selling that one. If I would of known now about what I would go through with the 511 I would of sold it right away and kept the superformance. The paddle shifters were as much fun as manual shifting and it would shift faster on top of it.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary classics 3041,sbc 350(have no fear ford guys for there is a FE 428 in the garage waiting to be rebuilt & installed) but for now she is a driver while other projects take precidence.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You have wasted to much of your life on this, in all honesty your story is worst than any back surgery and the pain is 50 times longer than surgery.
I just spent the last 3 years with a dull headache at all times, anytime I did anything as physical as raking leaves I would end up in bed for 2 to 3 days with a headache that makes a migrain feel like you bumped your head against the shower, I would throw up every 20 min's like clockwork, had to drink ginger ale and eat crackers every 20 min's just to have something in my stomach to throw up.
3 months ago I had surgery to fuse a few cervical vertabrate together because I had a burst disk that had calcified and was badly pinching my spinal chord. Had a nice collar to wear for 8 weeks and have been enjoying physical therapy for the last 4.
I would trade Tin-man his problimatic tranny and motor in a heartbeat, any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

It suck's what he has to deal with after all that time and money, I feel for him, I really do, but , like Patrickt said, lets not blow it out of proportion..........

Here is my reminder...
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: There is more money being spent on breast implants and Viagra than on Alzheimer's research. This means that by 2030, there should be a large elderly population with perky boobs and huge erections and absolutely no recollection of what to do with them.

Last edited by avanti-176; 06-20-2011 at 06:49 AM..
Old 06-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti-176 View Post
I would trade Tin-man his problematic tranny and motor in a heartbeat, any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.
... a sobering dose of reality. "When you have your health, you have everything. When you do not have your health, nothing else matters at all."
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, I had my c7-T1 disk explode with absolutey no warning couple months ago. After I demanded immediate MRI, fuk the lets give it time sheet, I got them. I had excrutiating pain in my back running all the way down to my hand which no longer opened. After trying to make an appointement with a neurosurgeons and being told 3 weeks I once again said fuk that and by the grace of God found one of the top neurosurgeons in Hosuton. He said "you may not regain use of your hand but you will be in surgery Friday. So one week to the date of initial pain had surgery. When awoke all pain was completely gone, was back to work the following Wednesday. Right now hand is about 60% useable.

I still say my "surgery" was better than this story. I would never ever suffer for years. The year is 2011, solutions exist just go to world renowned doctors and medical centers. My neighbor had a 3 level neck fusion, he was back to work in three weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti-176 View Post
I just spent the last 3 years with a dull headache at all times, anytime I did anything as physical as raking leaves I would end up in bed for 2 to 3 days with a headache that makes a migrain feel like you bumped your head against the shower, I would throw up every 20 min's like clockwork, had to drink ginger ale and eat crackers every 20 min's just to have something in my stomach to throw up.
3 months ago I had surgery to fuse a few cervical vertabrate together because I had a burst disk that had calcified and was badly pinching my spinal chord. Had a nice collar to wear for 8 weeks and have been enjoying physical therapy for the last 4.
I would trade Tin-man his problimatic tranny and motor in a heartbeat, any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

It suck's what he has to deal with after all that time and money, I feel for him, I really do, but , like Patrickt said, lets not blow it out of proportion..........

Here is my reminder...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Wow, I had my c7-T1 disk explode with absolutely no warning couple months ago.
Uhhh, had Voss Performance installed that for you?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Laughing my ASSSSSSSSS oFFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, had Voss Performance installed that for you?