28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     
Default Minimum Air Cleaner to Hood Clearance?

I have a 14" air cleaner on my ERA. What do you guys think minimal clearance should be between the lid of the air cleaner and the bottom of the hood. I'm thinking of purchasing a 1/2" carb. spacer.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 09-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

If the hood closes.....you are good to go
Mine rubs the side of the scoop slightly
Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCOBRA View Post
If the hood closes.....you are good to go
Mine rubs the side of the scoop slightly
Serious, no paint rub marks?

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Sure there is a little mark, but I am the only one who would ever notice and at least to me is no big deal, because the benefits of a phenolic far outway a tiny rub.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

I have about 1/8" with poly mounts. No issues.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

I can`t run any spacer as I run the tallest filter element ( almost 3" ) I can get and also a drop base filter housing ( 14 " filter ) . I have about 1/8" clearance on the passenger side ... remember , your engine is offset to the right on a 427 . The engine wants to torque to the right anyway ..... I do get some contact on the passenger side , but only if I go WOT quickly ( on the front and back straight at VIR ) , but it`s minimal . You can reduce your filter element height , and lose some power ( probab;y won`t notice it ) and do ERA`s motor mount mod to the driver side mount to reduce motor torqueing .
Try putting some clay around the air cleaner lid , close the hood , open it and measure what it was squished down to .

Bob
Old 09-08-2011, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Be sure to get the Xtreme top from K&N or you will have a new RPM limiter against the scoop.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
I can`t run any spacer as I run the tallest filter element ( almost 3" ) I can get and also a drop base filter housing ( 14 " filter ) . I have about 1/8" clearance on the passenger side ... remember , your engine is offset to the right on a 427 . The engine wants to torque to the right anyway ..... I do get some contact on the passenger side , but only if I go WOT quickly ( on the front and back straight at VIR ) , but it`s minimal . You can reduce your filter element height , and lose some power ( probab;y won`t notice it ) and do ERA`s motor mount mod to the driver side mount to reduce motor torqueing .
Try putting some clay around the air cleaner lid , close the hood , open it and measure what it was squished down to .

Bob
Did the clay already, but I didn't know about the offset, thank you.

Mark Donahue
Old 09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCOBRA View Post
Sure there is a little mark, but I am the only one who would ever notice and at least to me is no big deal, because the benefits of a phenolic far outway a tiny rub.
Who says phenolic, maybe wood?

Mark Donahue
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, I installed it this weekend, about 1/16" clearance . Seat of the pants difference on top end I think.

Mark Donahue
Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Be sure to get the Xtreme top from K&N or you will have a new RPM limiter against the scoop.
Maybe I type in invisible ink...
Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Maybe I type in invisible ink...
Sorry, I would never put something that ugly on my car.

Mark Donahue
Old 09-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Frigo View Post
Sorry, I would never put something that ugly on my car.
It is kind of funky looking.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So you put a wood block under your carb and tell me the open top is ugly.
Spacers either add 6HP or cost 6HP (which you can't feel or measure unless you're running strip laps) and need to be dyno coordinated to an intake system. They are not a toy-du-jour for performance improvements. This little tinker project was stupid to start with and what I told you was to prevent what you found out.
Test it without the AC in place to see if your choice is able to help. If it picks up, then get the Xtreme top if you want power-if you're a lawn-chair guy, then forget I tried to help...
And I won't make that mistake again.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
... then forget I tried to help... And I won't make that mistake again.
Dang Chas., please let me buy you a month's supply of Zoloft.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Dang Chas., please let me buy you a month's supply of Zoloft.
Ya don't have to pal-just start another air bleeds thread...
Instant catatonia.
Buy Brent a nitrided valley tray instead.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ya don't have to pal-just start another air bleeds thread...
Instant catatonia.
Buy Brent a nitrided valley tray instead.
Wouldn't you feel better about yourself if you had just a little more patience with well-intentioned contributors who just happen to slight you ever so lightly?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I though I was a well-intentioned contributor...
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
So you put a wood block under your carb and tell me the open top is ugly.
Ohhhh, that makes you angry? Wuss.

Quote:
Spacers either add 6HP or cost 6HP (which you can't feel or measure unless you're running strip laps) and need to be dyno coordinated to an intake system. They are not a toy-du-jour for performance improvements.
Really, I take it that 6hp # is from your extensive testing? The guys doing actual testing in say "Engine Masters" competition, or NASCAR, or Trans Am, or any number of actual professionals, might have evidence to counter that sophomoric supposition.

Quote:
This little tinker project was stupid to start with and what I told you was to prevent what you found out.
Denigrating comments like this are what make you such a freaking wanker. What did he find out Chas? Maybe you read some tea leaves or something and came up with something that the OP DIDN'T say.

Quote:
then get the Xtreme top if you want power-if you're a lawn-chair guy
You've been through the stupid "Xtreme" filter lid discussion here before and have been told by people much more experienced and knowledgeable than you just how little (if at all) this POS works. And yet you have the unmitigated gall to spout "if you want power" at the OP who has only 1/16" clearance over the top of his AC? These piles of dung show negligible results when run on cars with wide open scoops and dynos with perfect air and yet you have somehow miraculously surmised that this guy's tiny over filter clearance would somehow produce major power with a pile of dog doo on top?

Quote:
then forget I tried to help...
And I won't make that mistake again.
Well THAT would be nice!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post

Bob
I also have an ERA with a Ford cast iron 427 block, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, and a drop base air cleaner with a 3" tall, 14" dia. filter, and a 1/2" phenolic spacer. I have 1/16" clearance, not all drop bases cleaners are the same. Go to Summit and you will see.

Mark Donahue

Last edited by Jeff Frigo; 09-12-2011 at 11:49 PM..