LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Be sure to get the Xtreme top from K&N or you will have a new RPM limiter against the scoop.
How is that going to help? RPM limiter against the scoop, I don't get it.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 09-13-2011, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So you put a wood block under your carb and tell me the open top is ugly.
Spacers either add 6HP or cost 6HP (which you can't feel or measure unless you're running strip laps) and need to be dyno coordinated to an intake system. They are not a toy-du-jour for performance improvements. This little tinker project was stupid to start with and what I told you was to prevent what you found out.
Test it without the AC in place to see if your choice is able to help. If it picks up, then get the Xtreme top if you want power-if you're a lawn-chair guy, then forget I tried to help...
And I won't make that mistake again.
I said maybe wood, its phenolic. "This little tinker project was stupid to start with and what I told you was to prevent what you found out." Are you smoking crack? What did I find out, that it fit? What did you prevent? "Spacers either add 6HP or cost 6HP " Oh guru, tell me where you get this from. I have never seen a test where an engine lost power. I have seen tests that pick up as much as 28 hp. You are right not soup dujur. If you read my post, I joked about seat of the pants. Must have been more of that invisible ink. 6 HP from extreme top, maybe, ugly, definantly (sp), wouldn't use it if you gave me one.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue

Last edited by Jeff Frigo; 09-13-2011 at 12:27 AM..
Old 09-13-2011, 04:24 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default A Tanker of a Wanker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
ERA Chas ... comments like this are what make you such a freaking wanker.
That was too funny.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Had to change the scoop on my car to properly feed the big block all it required wot.Harwood scoop modified fit the bill perfectly.The original hood is stored away.The K&N with Extreme top has minimum 1/2" all around and sits beautifully in the center of the scoop
Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Really, I take it that 6hp # is from your extensive testing? The guys doing actual testing in say "Engine Masters" competition, or NASCAR, or Trans Am, or any number of actual professionals, might have evidence to counter that sophomoric supposition.
I can see now that 'lovehamr' refers to your head.

One of the biggest mistakes posters on forums can make when they want to denigrate someone is to underestimate what they know and what they've done. No armchair internet genius posts from me.

Your quote above describes my previous job description almost precisely. I was marketing coordinator between World Castings and PHR during the years the EM Challenge was held in NY. I wrote and photoed all the coverage and specs for World after interviewing all competitors each year. I learned tech from: Kaase, Ron Shaver, Bob Lathrop, Barry R., Tony Bischoff, Jud Massengil, Jim Dove and Mark McKeown-among others. I witnessed and recorded every World crate engine combo R&D dyno- tested, and put the specs and my photos in our two catalogs and both websites.

Before doing that I was Purchasing mgr. and bought every part in inventory for all our engine combinations (56, at one time). This included carb spacers from Wilson Manifolds, Brzezinski,HVH and Hogan Manifolds. K&N filters too. They were tested relentlessly, 1", 2", inverted, 4 hole and open type and all materials. On engines from 500 to 1187HP. We saw max gains of 18HP on our 13.5 cr drag builds and always went back to the mfgr. with our input. That's a hundredth at the strip. And virtually all came on at 6500 and up. Using intakes from Hogan, Ede and our own. Can you expert jockeys feel that on the street with your Fisher-Price combinations??
We saw which lost power too-and many did. All this was after carefully tailoring jetting, cylinder head, intake and climate conditions. The under 650HP, 91 oct. combos showed gains and losses like I posted above.

So why should Frigo's brainstorm be worth the effort? I offered the open top so he wouldn't hurt his power as much as he obviously tried. But I didn't know it was against his discerning standards of aesthetics. High-chair spacer must look way cool in the supermarket parking lot to the rest of the vehicular pundits. You may not like the way I said it but I DID try to salvage a dumb move on your part Frigo.

Now you two tell me your professional experience that lets you throw snot all over me on this subject.

Done with both of you ass clowns. Frigo-I should have known about you when I saw your sig in crayons and big letters. Both of you feel free to ignore anything I write.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Now you two tell me your professional experience that lets you throw snot all over me on this subject.

Never claimed to be a professional. I asked a simple question about hood clearance. It was answered by many people above your first post. You are the one that decided to sh1t all over it genius.

Mark Donahue
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Another Unpleasant Incident...

Well I think we should just forget the whole unpleasant incident. Chas, I think you should tell both Jeff and LH that you're sorry and that you promise not to do it again.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well I think we should just forget the whole unpleasant incident. Chas, I think you should tell both Jeff and LH that you're sorry and that you promise not to do it again.
Sorry if I contributed. Im a member of this forum because of the wealth of knowledge and peoples willingness to help. And btw, the crayons are here to stay.

Mark Donahue
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Frigo View Post
Sorry if I contributed. Im a member of this forum because of the wealth of knowledge and peoples willingness to help. And btw, the crayons are here to stay.
Not your fault. We've had problems with Chas ever since he started refusing his meds. But, what are you going to do? He's a legacy, so we've got to let him in. Most of us just think of him as that crazy relative that you have to keep upstairs in the locked bedroom. Sometimes he gets out, but most of the time we just keep him locked up. Now if he would just go back on his meds everything would go back to normal. And I, for one, happen to like crayons.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have four things to add.

Did you guys see that Michigan-Notre Dame game? That was awesome.

I think the only proper way to add HP is to build an all-aluminum SOHC engine and drop into the engine bay.

I'm very surprised that Patrick hasn't inserted some sort of nonsensical picture since everything else he's provided to further this BBQ is totally useless as usual.

Turkey pan, dropped base and Stelling & Helling air cleaner lid. Just saying.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'm very surprised that Patrick hasn't inserted some sort of nonsensical picture since everything else he's provided to further this BBQ is totally useless as usual.
WTF? I've been playing the peacemaker here. Yessirrreee, open outstretched hand, that's me. Forgive and forget. I can't help it that Chas continues to play the role of the pompous ass who tees off on any innocent bystander that happens to blindly stumble in to his path. I just want everyone to get along. Yep, that's all I want.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It is kind of funky looking.

Peacemaker?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Not your fault. We've had problems with Chas ever since he started refusing his meds. But, what are you going to do? He's a legacy, so we've got to let him in. Most of us just think of him as that crazy relative that you have to keep upstairs in the locked bedroom. Sometimes he gets out, but most of the time we just keep him locked up. Now if he would just go back on his meds everything would go back to normal. And I, for one, happen to like crayons.

And how does this sound to Chas? Peacemaker-like?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
And how does this sound to Chas? Peacemaker-like?
Yes, I'm providing Chas with an opportunity to "turn the other cheek." An opportunity to "rise to the occasion." An opportunity "to show that he is a better man than we believe him to be." Frankly, I should be applauded.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, I'm providing Chas with an opportunity to "turn the other cheek." An opportunity to "rise to the occasion." An opportunity "to show that he is a better man than we believe him to be." Frankly, I should be applauded.
I think your comments are hurtful and incendiary and further you should always add to the end of every post:

"....but then again I have two rollbars."
Old 09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think your comments are hurtful and incendiary and further you should always add to the end of every post:

"....but then again I have two rollbars."
Well that cuts me to the quick. I'm simply trying to help Chas and I have only the fondest affections for him. But then again, I have two rollbars.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Patrickt

I believe this thread was kind of out of bounds as far as being an earnest question or dialogue about the OP questi

And you stepped over the line in post #26 ---you seem to relish hammering on Chas, but in this post he has more info about the subject matter than probably anyone and you push the meds-----
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
And you stepped over the line in post #29 ---you seem to relish hammering on Chas, but in this post he has more info about the subject matter than probably anyone and you push the meds-----
Jerry, as man of wisdom and taste, I'll take your recommendations to heart and, further, take this opportunity to apologize to Chas. Hopefully he will find it in his heart to forgive me.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, SBF 351w (463 CI)
Not Ranked     

Chas is right on the spacer. It may or may not add power. You need to be able to compare (dyno). I do not believe John Kasse picked one off the shelf (engine masters) and said this is the one! (lots of testing)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Let me be the first to say that I NEVER said that I was an expert. Perhaps you should take a break from posing as a tech expert and learn to read. And I’ll say this again: Comments like these are what make you such a freaking wanker!
Quote:
Can you expert jockeys feel that on the street with your Fisher-Price combinations??
What really kills me is that you tout yourself as an expert because you were a salesman and a Purchasing mgr.? Then you rattle off a bunch of names as though their knowledge and experience have somehow leached into you through osmosis. One of the names that you mentioned was Barry R., a man who’s opinion I DO value and quite greatly. And yet all of this BS is about a pile of crap air cleaner lid which Barry already told you was of dubious value.

Lets see what Barry R said in 2006: August 10 2010, 7:31 AM
“Extreme lid gained 1.5 points on the EMC combo October 10 2006, 7:51 PM
Rules specify a 14x3 element.
Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com

and January 20 2008, 11:02 AM:
Dunno 'bout that
My last two EMC motors both picked up a small amount on average on the dyno. Only 1-2 more HP - but undeniably there. Certainly did not hurt. Back to back tests both times about five minutes apart. Both ways too - tried going back to the flat lid & lost.
Barry Rabotnick
Survivalmotorsports.com”

I’m assuming that since you were the secretary then that you were writing all of that down right? What? Were you just afflicted with CRS? And to think, you were bagging on Jeff's spacer. You even admitted that you were wrong about spacers in your latest post, 6hp vs. 18hp. Just in case CRS has set in again, here’s a recap:
Quote:
Spacers either add 6HP or cost 6HP
Quote:
We saw max gains of 18HP
So which is it? Actually, don’t even try to put together a response. After reading more of your sputtering sentence fragments and hollow chest beating everyone here would be dumber for having read it. And really, my problem with your posts isn’t even the accuracy of the information in them. It’s the stupid personal attacks for no apparent reason. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, including you. It’s when you go beyond your salesman’s OPINION and start insulting others from behind the safety of your keyboard that slots you solidly into the wanker column.