Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     
Default Public Service Announcement: Get your prostate checked.

On behalf of my father, Mike Mills, I would like to make a plea to the group that you get your prostate checked as regularly as suggested.

My dad is in the last stage of his life due to prostate cancer and I'm not certain why it only came to me in the last couple of days to post something after a 6 year battle with the disease, but I want to share this simple message with the group. This is in the hopes that my dad, before and after he leaves this world, may facilitate saving or otherwise prolonging others’ lives. My dad went in for other routine health issues about 6 years ago and found out that he had prostate cancer. After removing the prostate it was clear that the cancer had reached beyond the outer walls of the prostate and had spread. They gave him 2-3 years at the time. While we feel blessed that we got 6 years more from my father, he is far too young (64), and the time has flown by very quickly.

In the end, the situation is not pretty, and one which we all should work to avoid. On behalf of my father, don’t let fear of cancer or probing fingers keep you from finding these problems early enough to deal with them so that you may live a long and happy life.

For those who are suffering with this disease, keep up the good fight. My dad has remained very positive throughout and has been an inspiration to me and our family.

Take care,
Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

It's a tough way to go. One of my good friends lost his dad to the disease.

I myself have an enlarged prostate and an above PSA level. I get checked every six months, and so far they have not found anything. It's not pleasant, but it's sure better than the alternative.

And our thoughts and prayers will be with you in this trying time.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I lost my father to prostate cancer over 11 years ago. Hardly ever sick a day in his life until then. When they found it they gave him 3 years. He passed away almost exactly 3 years to the day after diagnosis. Glad your father beat (and is still beating) their projections.

Our thoughts to you and yours. Savor every second that you have with him and everyone else. Time is too dam short.
ront49 likes this.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear about your dad Brent. May I also add for everyone to please follow the recommended guidelines for colorectal cancer screening. It is 100% curable if detected early. Once you actually have symptoms, it's too late.

Jim
Old 11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 08 Mustang GT
Not Ranked     

Brent sorry to hear about your Dad. Lost my Dad to cancer he found out at the end of January and passed on May1st He weighed only eighty six pounds It a terrible way to die Sounds like your Dad is a very strong man best of luck
ront49 likes this.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

And don't forget to get your colonoscopy- another simple procedure you only need once every 5-10 years and will save your life if they find anything "abnormal"......

Sorry to hear about your dad Brent. My uncle died quite some time ago of Prostrate cancer, so I make it a habit to get checked every year at my annual physical.

Bob
ront49 likes this.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Brent, I'm sorry that you are going through just a difficult time your life with regards to your Dad.

I lost my Dad 4 years ago to metastasized prostate cancer. His doctors at UCSF kept him alive for 11 years, and two weeks prior to his passing he beat his extended family at miniature golf (he was an avid golf player, until the drugs/treatments depleted his muscle tissue). He was 73 years young (and 62 when diagnosed). BTW, today is his Birthday...

I've been getting checked for many years, and most recently I had a DNA Gene screening performed, as there exists (documented) a gene mutation that leads to prostate cancer (and breast cancer in both men and women). My Dad had this gene mutation though we didn't know it at the time, and we believe strongly that this gene mutation was the cause of his "highly aggressive" prostate cancer. It is called the BRCA2 gene mutation - talk to your Dr about it when you get next your next check up.

Regards,
Randy...
ront49 likes this.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Brent,
I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. If I may address what you've said - I am in the exact same situation that your Dad finds himself in. My cancer has almost certainly escaped the prostate, and I'm told it's just a matter of time until it metastasizes and develops somewhere else. Until that happens, like your Dad, I live life each day and try to enjoy the little things. It goes without saying that what the amazing guys on this forum have done with my car keeps me going.

The very high cure rate for Prostate cancer (if it is caught early) finds us becoming almost immune to it's dangers. The problem with Prostate cancer is that it is insidious. There are almost no symptoms of the disease in it's early stages. However, once symptoms do finally appear, it's almost always too late at that point. Please guys, get checked regularly. It can and likely will save your life. Prostate cancer caught early is usually curable. Prostate cancer caught after symptoms appear is not so easy. An early diagnosis can and usually will save your life.

My best to you, your family, and of course your Dad, Brent. Thanks so much for raising this issue. You may have just saved someones life.

Doug
Old 11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

Really sorry about your dad, my prayers to him and your family!!!!!!

I second what you said about the test, very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

My heart goes out to you, your dad and your family, Brent. I, too, lost my dad (to heart disease) twenty two tears ago (he was 64) and I still miss him greatly. Please, guys, it's very important to get checked at least every year. It takes only a few seconds and after a few times it's no big deal. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

Brent,
Sorry to hear the news but thank you for getting the word out in a manner that
would be hard to ignore. I had a higher PSA for years but monitored it and when it started to go up found the cancer just starting via a biopsy (not the most fun thing but far better than finding cancer too late, and really not that bad). Did the radiation seeds 7 years ago and so far no sign of anything.
Early detection is the key! Do the check-ups please all you guys!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

Brent,
"Sorry" about your Dad doesn't begin to cover it.
For everyone else I have 4 comments:
1) Guys, get your "PSA" (Prostate Specific Antigen) checked regularly after the age of 40(?). (It is done as part of your annual physical blood test.)
2) Viet Nam Vets have a statistically significant greater risk of prostate cancer. Be
attentive!
3) If you or someone you know has prostate cancer I highly recommend the book "Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer". Educate yourself as to options.
4) EARLY DETECTION IS THE KEY TO SURVIVING!

....been there, done that......

John
Old 11-15-2011, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DAX 351 windsor
Not Ranked     

Brent, sad news to hear, Here in Australia we have a fundraiser for prostate cancer and mens health in general, it's called MOvember. During the month of november men all over the country can register and you have to grow a moustach for the entire month, great fun and for an even better cause, you can check it out at movember.com.au if anybody cares to make a donation they can. I am participating this year as part of the Fire and rescue NSW team. After the first two weeks our team has raised over $9800 and the 000 (911) challenge has raised over $72000. A great cause that helps men just like Brents father everywhere.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DAX 351 windsor
Not Ranked     

Just noticed MOvember is run in the states as well Movember Worldwide - Home
Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Brent so sorry to hear about your Dad, any desease, especially cancer is such a cruel and unfair thing, it just comes along and gets you no matter who you are or how good of a person you may be. I've had several folks in my family go through that tuff fight with canecr, fortunately some are surving and others didn't make it. Be strong and give him all the love possible, appreciate him and his life and make him feel safe with the family.
As you stated, Early detection for all medical conditions are paramount, get in a habit of routine exams and check-ups.
Hang in there, Bill
Old 11-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Brent,

I am sorry to hear that and I wish all of you the best. The past week or so down here they have really been pushing that people get checked for that on the radio.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-15-2011, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Brent--thank you, though, for sharing your experiences with all of us in hopes of others either avoiding this dreadful cancer or getting early treatment if it occurs.

In addition to all of the other suggestions already in this thread (especially regular colonoscopies--so much better than the alternative), for those of you who are still smoking, STOP!!! Smoking can cause lung cancer, of course, but it can also contribute to the development of bladder cancer (awful) and breast cancer (which happens to men, too).
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One of the reasons I have been having anual prostate exams for many years,lost a family friend to the desease.Been taking a pill for many years to control the flow.Heed the call all of you over 40.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the well wishes, everyone. I told my dad about the post I made and your responses this evening. I told him that he may help to save someone's life at some point. While heavily drugged, he smiled and was happy that we discussed it here.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Roadster, 418W
Not Ranked     

Brent, your post hits very close to home. I am a year older than your Dad, and a Viet Nam vet. My PC diagnosis was made about 18 months ago - no symptoms, but my PSA came back astronomically high. Treatment (radiation and hormone therapy) has been effective so far. My contribution to the thread is for the Viet Nam vets. The VA has listed a large number of cancers, including prostate, that are assumed to have been caused by exposure to Agent Orange, and are therefore entitled to disability compensation and treatment. I learned about the process several months before I was diagnosed, purely by happenstance. The application and examination process was straightforward,; you do not have to prove exposure - our Congress has mandated that it is assumed to be the cause.

Please listen to the advice from the posters above, do not blow this cancer off - it can kill you.

Terry