28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2018, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison #1320, 514 BBF, Richmond, 3.73 , IRS
Send a message via AIM to Trubble Send a message via MSN to Trubble Send a message via Yahoo to Trubble
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by videodude View Post
I know this is an OLD thread and sticky, BUT . . . especially for Vietnam Vets, it is a very serious subject. The reason Vietnam Vets are more prone to get prostate cancer is exposure to Agent Orange. And, unfortunately, the cancer that Vietnam Vets get is almost always VERY AGGRESSIVE and can kill you within a very short amount of time, unlike the general population. Most men with PC die of natural causes prior to diagnosis; herbicide exposure exponentially shortens that time frame.....Do it regularly after age 50. If you are a Vet, start earlier like at 40. If you are a Vietnam Vet, do it IMMEDIATELY! It may save your life.
Videodude
Great to see this thread resurrected. I had PSA tests done for years. Probably since age 40. Several years ago, my doc noticed a small bump in my PSA, and he sent me for a biopsy, which found cancer.

Fortunately, it was still within prostate, and after surgery, PSA# has been ZERO. I cant stress how important that simple blood test can be to your life!

Cheers,
Bill
Pete Munroe and ront49 like this.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I get mine checked every year. It's not my favorite day.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:33 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Men's health is ignored at-large. We die much younger than women, yet all of the attention (walks, runs, and other campaigns) is on women's health. No one is going to pay attention to your health except you. Get a regular checkup. A friend of mine went in for his annual and his blood pressure was way up..... An aortic aneurysm was found and fixed. Another had the colonoscopy that found cancer. Twenty years later, he's still fine. GO GET CHECKED!
ront49 likes this.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default Prostate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Mills View Post
On behalf of my father, Mike Mills, I would like to make a plea to the group that you get your prostate checked as regularly as suggested.

My dad is in the last stage of his life due to prostate cancer and I'm not certain why it only came to me in the last couple of days to post something after a 6 year battle with the disease, but I want to share this simple message with the group. This is in the hopes that my dad, before and after he leaves this world, may facilitate saving or otherwise prolonging others’ lives. My dad went in for other routine health issues about 6 years ago and found out that he had prostate cancer. After removing the prostate it was clear that the cancer had reached beyond the outer walls of the prostate and had spread. They gave him 2-3 years at the time. While we feel blessed that we got 6 years more from my father, he is far too young (64), and the time has flown by very quickly.

In the end, the situation is not pretty, and one which we all should work to avoid. On behalf of my father, don’t let fear of cancer or probing fingers keep you from finding these problems early enough to deal with them so that you may live a long and happy life.

For those who are suffering with this disease, keep up the good fight. My dad has remained very positive throughout and has been an inspiration to me and our family.

Take care,
I'll be going again tomorrow ... been having mine checked for several years. God Bless you and your family and may your Dad find Peace.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

The good news (for me) is that I am 79 and I don't have to have anymore PSAs or colonoscopies ….. when I asked my doctor why , he said it was likely at my age I would die with prostrate cancer rather than from it....that is the bad news (for me)....

When I asked him why not a simple PSA, he said.... I have no symptoms.... and that my previous tests were excellent...... and in any case the test is not very reliable..... and if I had a troubling result...... he would be obligated to follow up with a biopsy.....when I found out how that was done....I agreed with him....

You youngsters need to get tested.....if you want to get old like me....
Trubble likes this.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison #1320, 514 BBF, Richmond, 3.73 , IRS
Send a message via AIM to Trubble Send a message via MSN to Trubble Send a message via Yahoo to Trubble
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
The good news (for me) is that I am 79 and I don't have to have anymore PSAs or colonoscopies ….. when I asked my doctor why , he said it was likely at my age I would die with prostrate cancer rather than from it....that is the bad news (for me)....

When I asked him why not a simple PSA, he said.... I have no symptoms.... and that my previous tests were excellent...... and in any case the test is not very reliable..... and if I had a troubling result...... he would be obligated to follow up with a biopsy.....when I found out how that was done....I agreed with him....

You youngsters need to get tested.....if you want to get old like me....

Yeah, Bart, you're right! Had the biopsy before my surgery, and it was not very pleasant. Not to mention the infection we had to fight before surgery could be done. GET CHECKED GUYS!
Old 10-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

At 72 I thought I had experienced almost all of the pleasant and unpleasant things I would experience in my lifetime. Found a new one though.. Called a Systiscope. If you've not experienced it, it quite a time. They run a fiberoptic through the urethra and the bladder and the prostate. You can watch on the scree. Interesting to watch but not necessarily to experience. Now I know there is a roto rooter process for clearing up what was referred to as an "extremely nodular prostate". No cancer just a lot of "nodules" (what ever the hell those are from). So next report will be about the clean up.. stand by.. to stand bye..
Get it checked. It's a lot better knowning that it's not cancer.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 10-30-2018, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF 289Comp #8955
Not Ranked     

I've been watching my PSA for a few years now, have been watching a cancer spot that has begun to move. It's time to have it removed in November before it goes any further.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SP0703 Ford 460 CJ
Not Ranked     

I am 53 and was just diagnosed with prostate cancer. Had my PSA checked on 7/31/18 and it was high. Had it re-checked on 9/6 and the number had doubled. Biopsy done on 10/5 (not pleasant). Cancer was confirmed. Having a full body bone scan and CT scan done this Friday to see if it has spread outside the prostate. Cannot believe I am posting this. Time to go for a ride in SP0703.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm so sorry to hear of your news MCoop.

Gary
Old 09-21-2023, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Having just been through a prostate scare with fortunately good results, I wanted to add a few thoughts to this thread.

As the starter of this thread testified, some prostate cancers are VERY deadly, so it's important to keep an eye on PSA numbers and act quickly to investigate changes. It could save your life.

However, the PSA test actually has low correlation to dangerous prostate cancer, and so there are many "false positives" where an increased PSA number does not lead to the discovery of dangerous cancer.

Unlike almost all other cancers, many types of prostate cancer are not dangerous, and the "cure" may lead to a worse life (for example, loss of bladder control and/or sexual ability) than living with the cancer.

Old-school urologists are essentially surgeons, and as such the traditional cure to any possible cancer danger was removal of the prostate. This is necessary in some cases, but not in most.

The traditional "transrectal" biopsy is performed through the rectum, a bacteria-filled part of the body. The biopsy samples are taken on a grid pattern, which can miss cancer spots. And even though strong antibiotics are taken before this procedure, many lives are lost every year due to infections from the diagnostic biopsy procedure! (In one video I watched, the doctor said this method should more accurately be called a trans-fecal biopsy.) Seems like dark-ages technology to me.

A more modern and safer way (and what I had done) is a trans-perineal biopsy (where the needle is inserted through the perineum, what we call the "taint" lol).

I had to change doctors to find one using this newer procedure, which is still pretty rare in the United States. First a prostate MRI is done to identify any possible suspicious spots. Then during the biopsy, they use ultrasound to make sure they sample those areas, as well as a random sampling through the prostate.

Here's one article about the new method. https://today.uconn.edu/2020/09/safe...ostate-biopsy/

If cancer is discovered from the biopsy, each sample with cancer is tested to see what type of cancer it is. Most are harmless, and for most men, the best path forward is to continue to monitor PSA etc. for changes. (Of course, some are not harmless, and in that case, it's important to act quickly.)

I was very lucky, no cancer of any type was found in the dozens of samples taken in my biopsy.

The whole subject is VERY complicated. Fortunately, there are free books that will help you understand the topic so you can have intelligent discussions with your providers. These are not pamphlets, they are detailed books. I found them very helpful.

https://www.pcf.org/guide/

I hope this info may be helpful to some, and I hope your results are as good as mine luckily were.

PS You can scroll down here for a contact form to locate a doctor using the new biopsy method.
https://perineologic.com/prostate/#biopsyinfo
mvanhorn8893 likes this.

Last edited by centerpunch; 09-21-2023 at 06:51 AM..
Old 09-22-2023, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Don’t assume a negative biopsy is a guarantee of no cancer. I knew a gentleman who had an elevated PSA test, subsequent biopsy was negative. His doctor kept monitoring him over the course of the next 2 years with ever increasing PSA results and negative biopsies. When the biopsy finally resulted in a cancer diagnosis it was advanced. He lived a couple of more years, into his early 80s before the cancer took him. This gentleman knew something was wrong and trusted the biopsy results. A follow up with another doctor may have brought an earlier diagnosis and a better outcome? You need to be your own advocate, doctors are not perfect, they are also human.