Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Well Gentlemen, here are my 2 cents on this matter,

1st an analogy, as a gun collector there is always a better and nicer looking gun, eventhough I will never use it, but nice to have.

I have been there done that....
Spent 11 years building a car with my son which was supposed to be a 1 year restoration, it turn out to be an 11 year boodoggle and $30K which I will never recover. Now the Jeep is done, it is sitting in my garage, after my son got married, now he needs the $$ and the car is for sale. Go figure only put 400miles after resto.

I sold my dream 1967 Volvo 123 GT which since 1969 vowed to look for a replacement after totalling mine back in 1969. Found and exact car in show condition, dropped $8K in upgrdades and sold for a hefty proffit to a Volvo collector after 3 years...drove it 2000 miles after all these dreams.

Bought my Cobra 1 1/2 years ago, I don't think I will ever sell it, but want another one now---- where I am storing it? No clue. Men like boys, the more toys we have the better we feel, that is just a fact.

I agree that ex wifes, divorce , kids in college, blah blah are powerful reasons too. But ll in all enjoy while you are around.
Lou
Old 09-16-2012, 08:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I would guess that most sell because they don't get used. It's as simple as that, no underlining problems or reasons for not being driven, just that they don't. Or we could start another thread on why they aren't driven, the most rational and easy answer is that they aren't practical. In fact, I can't think of many/any street driven cars that are less practical.

Look at the mileage on most of them and it's easy to understand why they go up for sale.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My reasons were always felt guilty for not driving them more.Our Cobra is not going anywhere for quite some time even though it sits a lot.We just sold a bodyoff restored 69SS Chevelle,loved the car and owned it for over 30 yrs but it's time had come,and the offer was too good to refuse.
As you have read and in my experience over the years all my dealings with muscle car and Harley Davidson owners reasons for selling included all of what MrMustang wrote about and then some.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

It is always more exiting to look forward to something, then actually having it.
Evrybody looked forward to their licence, now it's no big deal. I thought about flying for a long time, got into that, got bored. Tried skydiving, didn't get bored, just damm expensive. I've looked forward to a Cobra all my life, I'm in the process of building, I just hope I don't get bored, or find the weather isn't always right. I've had motorbikes, they hardly got used. I guess my mind is always active and I'm thinking about the next thing too much.
JD
Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
I've looked forward to a Cobra all my life, I'm in the process of building, I just hope I don't get bored, or find the weather isn't always right.
The weather ISN'T always right, JD...just last Friday I made a mad 110 mile dash from home to my GF's house....ran from rain all the way, ALMOST made it before the clouds opened up and dropped buckets on me when I was only 18 miles from my destination. I sat in the rain with a tarp over "luggage" and other items carried on the passenger's side and an umbrella over me in the driver's seat for 45 minutes while the rain poured in. Right now the seats and the carpet are out of the Cobra, drying out. I will install a drain plug on each floorpan...but that won't keep the issue from arising again....and again.....and again

Very soon I will have the carpeting and bulkhead redone...will have the upholstery shop use marine carpet to eliminate the issue of wet regular carpet. When you drive one of these often, as I do, you have to be proactive...you WILL get wet from time to time, JD....it's just the "nature" (pun intended ) of the beast, can't be avoided.

Despite all that, though, mine is NOT for sale
Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I'm sure some build and then want to sell because they accomplished what they set out to do. Build it.

From a perspective of someone that is not a builder my read on it is that most sell because they "think they wanted a Cobra" because of it's iconic status and performance. Many who buy are not really into Shelby's or the history of the Cobra, Carroll Shelby and Shelby American i.e. not true Cobrafiles/Shelby fans.

They buy the car, find out it is hot, uncomfortable, loud, smells of exhaust, requires regular mechanical attention, wife/girlfriend doesn't like it and it's a 1/2 hr to 1 hour car at best before most want to stop and get out.

In short it's not in their blood and they would now rather sell and buy something more civilized and practical with great performance such as Z06, Viper etc.... In most cases it's alot of money to have tied up on a car with limited use, practicality and narrow marketabilty.

I have owned my Shelby for 12 years now. She's officially an old girl. It's half way to being a "antique" in N.J. as far as license plates are concerned.

It's still loud, raw, hot, smells of exhuast and it's always "something". My wife still hates it. I'm am now in the process of rebuilding both carbs and constantly tinkering..but.. I still love it as much as the day it arrived from Shelby. I guess it's in my blood.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     
Default sad but true..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe 1 View Post
I think many of these cars were built as a challange and not to keep and drive.Some get carried away during the build.I also think a lot of people don't know what a hand full these cars are to drive and own. They are not always a plesure to drive
Many don't know until too late what these things are about, can do, and how much trouble they can be........BUT NOT ALWAYS A PLEASURE TO DRIVE??
If you have passion for the Cobra you never, ever, begin stepping into the cockpit without the giddish knowledge that ....."oh boy....here we go again" feeling! I just logged the 30,400th mile on my 'cheeene" and I can't wait until Sat when I do it again. My drives are usually 4 hours. But you are correct.....it's not for everyone and surely not for most! But of those it is for.......well, you guys know who you are!. I believe I will have one until I'm on the other side of the divot!
fred z
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

ok...5 cara
Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

These cars are unique. They are very simple, quite raw, very fast and unforgiving, they have no amenities (really) and if you try to make them something other than what they really are it wll be a compromise at best. That being said I think many people are attacted to them in the first place because back in the day THEY were faster than anything on the road and few of us could afford one or had the chance to get one when we were younger (I speak for myself). You have to be a real gearhead to appreciate how the simplicity can dominate the road and how to use it. But now maybe after having one you realize you gained a few pounds and it doesn't fit as well as your friends (insert other car name) and it's just not something you can get in and drive for several hours with someone that shares your enthusiasm, nor is your significant other willing to put up with its (perceived) shortcomings. Maybe its not the car for you. BUT If knowing that under your right foot you have control of THE most potent street car ever unleashed on the American public during the Muscle Car era then you will keep it and all objections will go unheard and be drowned out by the blaring exhaust pipes. To keep it you have to be commited to what it actually is and was, a no frills kick ass bad to the bones lightweight mass produced Hot Rod.
Jaydee likes this.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

To buy a GT40!

ERA GT40 Leaving Concord NH Car Show - YouTube
Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

As a 32 year owner of a Hot Rod shaped like a Cobra I love the car, I want to be buried in it(not really that's a waist) And I could not care less about trying to build it like the originals (it will never be a real Cobra) let me say that again I could not care less about trying to make it like the original's!!! But two years ago I really needed to sell it to pay for medical problems. Open heart and Kidney surgery(hey just like Carroll) had the check in my hands,but I with the support of my wife changed my mind and held on. The best thing I ever did!!! So why do people sell a Cobra.... can't handle RAW, divorce, old age.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Having just gotten rid of my Cobra, I guess I can pass along my reasons.

I always knew the Cobra was a temporary thing, as it did not fit into our retirement plans. Does not mean I did not love it. It had been a dream of mine since I was 16, and that was back in 1967.

I was lucky in that I could realize that dream. Many cannot. I feel sorry for those individuals.

So, I was going to buy my wife one last new car before retirement, and it would also be the vehicle we used in retirement.

We both hate living in Washington State. To me this place is a festering crap hole due to weather, traffic, and politics. I would rather put a bullet in my brain than live here in retirement.

So within in a year of retirement (coming up soon I hope) the house will be sold, and we will buy a 40 to 45 foot diesel pusher motorcoach that will become our new home. The Cobra just did not make sense as the vehicle we towed behind the motorcoach. No matter what we do, we will hit rain.

My wife had a scare with skin cancer. Everything is fine, but she no longer wanted to be exposed to the sun for hours on end.

Me? I have a skin condition that makes my skin look like a lizard if I'm in the sun to much. I don't worry about it, but my wife does. I also have a bad back that was getting worse, which makes it harder to get in and out.

So, we went to look at a new vehicle for my wife and we took the Cobra. I have bought 3 other Infiniti's from this place, so they know me and the Cobra. We drove a couple vehicles and my wife picked the one she liked. I had mentioned to the salemanager that I was thinking about selling the Cobra come spring. Well he was willing to make an offer on it, and it was close enough to what I was going to ask, that we just traded it in. I was happy because Karen was happy.

So that's the story why I no longer have a Cobra. It was everything I wanted and more. We were able to take a month long trip in it, and it was wonderful. Something I will never forget. I was not disappointed in the Cobra. It was not too primative. Loved working on it. Hell, I probably spent close to $20,000 on it over the 5 years I owned it.

Do I miss it. Hell yes. Do I regret getting rid of it. Not really. I still have the C5 Corvette as a daily driver, which can be fun. But in comparison to the Cobra, it's like driving a 60 Cadillac. Wallows like a pig in comparison. HP? Not even close.

Not everyone sells because of the reason I have read so far. For some, it's just time to move on.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
Having just gotten rid of my Cobra, I guess I can pass along my reasons.
Dang... and you just did the corner weights, too.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

The question might just as well be, "Why did you get a divorce?"
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I always wanted a COBRA 427 SC....So I finally got one...loved the look of the car, the sound of the motor and just the fun of driving it. Kept it about 3 years. I found the Cobra to be restrictive for I didn't feel comfortable leaving it in a parking lot while I went to a movie, to go shopping or to a restaurant. The COBRA 'life-style' can take up much of your time... for when you invest that amount of money you feel as if you should be using it more, doing more things COBRA related, ie: car shows. I do believe I will get another one, one day.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm 34...on my second cobra. I built the first one from scratch, that is I over saw and turned a wrench when I was "allowed" too. I had to sell it because I thought I was being a good husband for the wife and new children (we have 3 boys now (5,3,2)). Tried to get a couple different "family" muscle cars that we all could enjoy in my mind. However, switching car seats, pushing strollers, etc. we never spent much time at cruise-ins/shows like I had imagined. Sold it all off, paid down on our bills and decided to do it again. This time I decided to do it for me got a new "reliable" cobra that I can tinker with here and there. I love the look, power, attention, and fear I put in my wife with it. Nothing is like a Cobra. I'm sure once the boys get older I will sell again, but imagine I'll be back for a 3rd time eventually. I have never seen nor felt the raw power of a street car other than a cobra. The smell alone is addictive!!
BAsque1 likes this.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New member looking to buy

Have wanted to own a Cora Roadster all my life.
I'm finally trying to make it happen.Replica or completed kit of course.Cant afford much 30k range.Anyone have any advice,tips,dos,don'ts ect?
Anything would be appreciated.I live in Fla.
Thanks,
Marc
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

As some have said, join a club. Talk to the members about the cars, look at alot of different cars. Read about different kits. Replicas in that price range will vary in build quality and components.

If you have limited mechanical skills I would not try building a Cobra. It's a car and people get in over their head and never finish.

If you join a club perhaps some of the more knowledgable members may even agree to look at some prospects with you to guide you on your choice.

Word of warning. A lot of guys think they want a Cobra till they get one. They are not for everyone. They are impractical, hot, loud, uncomfortable on any extended drive, smell of exhaust, oil and gas, mechanically needy, narrow market on resale, wives universally hate them ( a redeeming feature), set off car alarms, attract to much attention both good and bad, crash safety of a beer can with an uncanny ability to invite you to use to much of the go peddle only to then bite your head off and swallow it whole, pits and all.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
As some have said, join a club. Talk to the members about the cars, look at alot of different cars. Read about different kits. Replicas in that price range will vary in build quality and components.

If you have limited mechanical skills I would not try building a Cobra. It's a car and people get in over their head and never finish.

If you join a club perhaps some of the more knowledgable members may even agree to look at some prospects with you to guide you on your choice.

Word of warning. A lot of guys think they want a Cobra till they get one. They are not for everyone. They are impractical, hot, loud, uncomfortable on any extended drive, smell of exhaust, oil and gas, mechanically needy, narrow market on resale, wives universally hate them ( a redeeming feature), set off car alarms, attract to much attention both good and bad, crash safety of a beer can with an uncanny ability to invite you to use to much of the go peddle only to then bite your head off and swallow it whole, pits and all.
Great reply- especially the last paragraph. What I love about this common response as I'm shopping for my first Cobra is, the more I read it the more I want one!!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

I myself have owned more than a few British open sports cars. From an MGA to an Apine, and Triumph TR6. All the way to a 1966 Tiger. I am in the throws of completing a Custom hand built SC427 Ac Cobra. It is not a donar car build, but scratch built from the rubber on the road to the sun on the soft top. Would I consider selling it? Nope. I have many mega dollars into the build. Yes they are wet, difficult to deal with and the unit can sneak up and bite you if your not aware the machine is a killer. But, for the shear feeling of speed with no computer controls for "dignified driving" the knowledge of the pure diving experience can not be ignored. Many people purchase a Cobra for bragging rights only. They are the ones who usually sell the units once they tire of the "Look at me cyndrome."