LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Aside from Patricks usual "comments", you will do well with either. For once he can actually add something to the discussion as he IS an ERA owner.

The ERA is a high quaility product when it leaves the factory and if assembled properly, makes a great car. You will not go wrong with one that is well built (and I sell Superformance). That said, the SPF is a consistant quality product and you will know what you are getting.

Both have good resale values and are sought after on the resale market.

Find what you like and drive the wheels off it.....................................
When I bought my Superformance, I questioned where the Superformance fell in the ranks of replicas. It was suggested to me by the dealer that if I wanted to consider another brand I would do well to look at ERA and Kirkham.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
Patrick,
I totally got what you were saying. I'm not mad. I'm just not interested in wasting my time.
Here's a perfect example: I was at a show one time when someone else's ERA was next to an SPF. My friend asked me what the difference between the two was. I said "well, for instance, take a look at the radiator, do you see that?" And he said "no, it looks the same to me." I said, "ok, look in there at the pedals, see?" And he said, "you mean the ERA letters on the front?" To him, there were no differences whatsoever.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Here's a perfect example: I was at a show one time when someone else's ERA was next to an SPF. My friend asked me what the difference between the two was. I said "well, for instance, take a look at the radiator, do you see that?" And he said "no, it looks the same to me." I said, "ok, look in there at the pedals, see?" And he said, "you mean the ERA letters on the front?" To him, there were no differences whatsoever.
Patrick,
I agree with what you are saying perhaps more than I have ever agreed with anything I have ever heard you say before. Like I said, "I get it." All I am saying is, that, in my opinion, the situation you describe above, and any differences one might find between an ERA and an SPF, is more accurately described as "definite" or even "obvious" differences. I maintain that "night and day" BY DEFINITION are polar opposites, and hence do not accurately reflect the differences between SPF and ERA. Especially to someone who is asking about the differences between the two because he is considering buying one or the other. Really, I am not even interested in asserting that I am right in this discussion. Only that I disagree with your choice of words.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF roush 402
Not Ranked     

Compare car profiles
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Patrick, I totally got what you were saying. I'm not mad. I'm just not interested in wasting my time.
SPF1061, you're wasting your time. Unfortunately, you're both right. And arguing with Patrick will lead you nowhere. He does it for sport.

I love that black ERA BTW. Wow, but for the 428 (that's supposed to be a knock on Patrick's car ).
Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

In my opinion both are excellent choices. When I was shopping I was strongly considering an ERA. You won't go wrong with either one.

Stu.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brave post on this forum.....
Old 02-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Aside from Patricks usual "comments", you will do well with either. For once he can actually add something to the discussion as he IS an ERA owner.
And don't hold Patrick being an ERA owner against the car. It's a fine car, and the majority of owners are not like Patrick.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
SPF1061, you're wasting your time. Unfortunately, you're both right. And arguing with Patrick will lead you nowhere. He does it for sport.

I love that black ERA BTW. Wow, but for the 428 (that's supposed to be a knock on Patrick's car ).
He needs to find a sport he is good at.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
And don't hold Patrick being an ERA owner against the car. It's a fine car
A point to which I agreed, the ERA IS a fine car. I have known several and have been impressed although they were cars built by ERA, not an owner or assembler.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
When I bought my Superformance, I questioned where the Superformance fell in the ranks of replicas. It was suggested to me by the dealer that if I wanted to consider another brand I would do well to look at ERA and Kirkham.
That SPF dealer gets bonus points for his honesty. He's a credit to his occupation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
And don't hold Patrick being an ERA owner against the car. It's a fine car, and the majority of owners are not like Patrick.
Ahh, but think how wonderful the world would be if that were only true.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

OK, I've seen several comments about the difference in ERA's between ERA built and owner built. Considering that ERA mounts and bonds the body (important to be done just so, in my opinion, to avoid stess cracks in the future) the rest of their kit seems pretty straight forward. They put in the lights, radiator, pedals, most of the steering mechanism, gas tank, rear wiring, etc., etc. The rest of the build is just assembling stuff. How hard can that be?

And I'm not asking the question sarcastically - I'm under the impression that someone with patience and basic ability, even with no prior experience with cars, can put the car together in a top quality manner. Am I kidding myself? Anyone out there that actually built their ERA care to weigh in?

Kevin
Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Of the couple dozen ERAs that I have seen, live, with my own two eyes, I don't believe any of them were built by the owners -- they were all factory jobs. But I've had a lot of my car apart and I tend to agree with you. If you take your time you'll be fine. At the very, very end of the build, having four corner scales to set the corner weights will end up making a world of difference though in how it handles. ERA did that for me, and I subsequently checked them with my local club's scales and they were dead on.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Ok Ill be fair and outline from the outset that I have no dog in this fight.

So far we have established they're both great cars, and you can't lose either way.

So perhap our OP should attack this a different way.
Since you are looking at the 2nd market, perhaps deciding on what engine YOU prefer to have in the car.
If it's an FE BBF you want - then personally I'd go ERA, if it's anything else then go SPF.

The manufacturers themselves have advised you of their preferance toward engine choice for each of their products.

Disclaimer - if you belive I'm suggesting that a SPF with an FE is not good then you sir would be a moron!

Last edited by Dimis; 02-25-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Old 02-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
If it's an FE BBF you want - then personally I'd go ERA, if it's anything else then go SPF.
I think that's reasonable. If you're going to put a SB427 (even if it has a bazillion horsepower and will fly you to the moon), 385 series, Coyote, or anything else, then go with the SPF.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

When you receive a kit like this
Tour of a kit about to be picked up
there's not a lot of room to screw up. Carpeting is cut and bound, seats are ready to bolt in. The wiring harness is ready to install.
The rear suspension is, by far, the most complicated project, but we offer a complete unit (installed) for those who are reluctant to take that on.
And our manual is the best in the business...
Old 02-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

I like ERA's, but did not want to wait months/years. I had a deadline to meet in order to make the 2005 Vintage GP in Watkins Glen.
I ordered a custom color car to my specs and am thrilled with it. SPF's are great. Especially for what I use it for. Driving.
Hey, these are just toys with no investment potential anyway.
On the other side of the coin I almost bought an original. At the time it was the top of the market, and would have lost even more money on that........so I am Driving For Free!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's reasonable too. If for some reason you can't wait a few months, or longer for a turnkey, then SPF gets the nod (not counting used ERAs, of course).
Old 02-25-2012, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
OK, I've seen several comments about the difference in ERA's between ERA built and owner built. Considering that ERA mounts and bonds the body (important to be done just so, in my opinion, to avoid stess cracks in the future) the rest of their kit seems pretty straight forward. They put in the lights, radiator, pedals, most of the steering mechanism, gas tank, rear wiring, etc., etc. The rest of the build is just assembling stuff. How hard can that be?

And I'm not asking the question sarcastically - I'm under the impression that someone with patience and basic ability, even with no prior experience with cars, can put the car together in a top quality manner. Am I kidding myself? Anyone out there that actually built their ERA care to weigh in?

Kevin
I think you will be fine. I did my own bonding and painting. Bonding was not a big deal but the several hundred rivets that have to be drilled and installed are not great fun. If you're buying the car bonded, riveted, painted and with rear suspension installed - you will have it made.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I was starting to second guess myself reading about how it will kill the resale value if I assemble it myself.

I'll have a lot to learn as I go, but that should be part of the fun and, as Bob said, they have a great manual with detailed instructions. Although my wife may not always agree, I am capable of following instructions.

Regards,

Kevin