LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
I'll take a Shelby any day over a Mazada.

Yes, your right, contemporary Shelbys are used cars today in the resale market but...classic Shelbys were just used cars too a just couple decades ago.

Time will tell.
I feel like a thread terrorist for continuing the hijacking of this thread but alas... I will add my humble & forecast...

New Mustang Shelbys will be next to worthless in future.

For there to be value in the future it would mean they need to be even remotely desirable (or preferably ICONIC & preferably rare) today by the 10-25 year old age group. So that when they are 35-60 odd and have worked & amassed their wealth they would be able to afford the "toy of desire" or "dream car" that they yearned for when they were young and couldn't afford.

I'd guess with a plethora of Mustang offerings in Roush or Saleen or Ford direct Boss, GT blah blah blah... and none that are specifically in race exclusive format. I'm guessing other than the oldder crew who remember the exploits of the 60s, no-one would care less about the "Shelby" name as the age demographic is missed (imho).

I have no stats to prove(disprove) this hypothesis, but I'd argue that today more of the younger brigade would opt for a Kirkham ahead of a CSX4xxx series. I know I would & did & I in my low 30s.

REAL1 is correct on one thing - Time will tell.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pick up one of these guys, plenty of wow factor and for $30K you'll have a low miles mint condition roadster that will only increase in value over time. Hardtop option available which makes it even look slicker, model years 1999-2002.

1999 Plymouth Prowler specifications, images, tests, wallpapers,.. @ ScorpioCars.net
----
Old 02-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

In that same vein, there's the 2003-2006 Chevy SSR.

Get one of the last ones with the Corvette LS2 engine and a 6-speed.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I think we're still talking about $60K cars and obviously the FGT is no where near that price level.

I read the original and saw the 60K limit. My opinion (after having gone through this process and graduated to a Ford GT from a Cobra myself) is that you won't find something that compares favorably to a Cobra for under 60K. Can you do closer to 60K than 150K? Yes. But under 60K is a stretch.

If you're looking for modern conveniences such as A/C and radio and power steering in a small nimble car I would also consider a Lotus Elise. Almost bought one myself, and you can definitely find one for <60K. There are Evoras and Exiges in the 60K range on eBay.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, as for the off road vehicles definitely cool but not my niche. Drove a new Miata stalled it three times, great little car, solid, but zero torque. I wonder about a salvaged ford gt. did some checking on Ferrari maint, holy &@$?. No doubt a cobra is a beast dollar 4 dollar. Going to ck out a 370z. Maybe used chevyss and super charge it. Heck if Tim cook keeps doing hi job maybe I keep the cobra and buy something to park under it.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Heck if Tim cook keeps doing hi job maybe I keep the cobra and buy something to park under it.
So whatever you buy better yield some smiles 'cause it won't yield nearly the same financial ROI.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I feel like a thread terrorist for continuing the hijacking of this thread but alas... I will add my humble & forecast...

For there to be value in the future it would mean they need to be even remotely desirable (or preferably ICONIC & preferably rare) today by the 10-25 year old age group. So that when they are 35-60 odd and have worked & amassed their wealth they would be able to afford the "toy of desire" or "dream car" that they yearned for when they were young and couldn't afford.

I'd guess with a plethora of Mustang offerings in Roush or Saleen or Ford direct Boss, GT blah blah blah... and none that are specifically in race exclusive format. I'm guessing other than the oldder crew who remember the exploits of the 60s, no-one would care less about the "Shelby" name as the age demographic is missed (imho).

I have no stats to prove(disprove) this hypothesis, but I'd argue that today more of the younger brigade would opt for a Kirkham ahead of a CSX4xxx series. I know I would & did & I in my low 30s.

wtf? what a totally useless off topic diatribe ...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post

By your logic ( and I don't agree with your premise as I think a large part of the young demographic still loves the Shelby name and vehicles and can't afford the extra freight) there will some great buys coming up in the future on CSX 2000 and 3000s.

Rodknock: sorry I'll try and spell Mazada right from now on.

As to the Vette suggestion, My impression was that the op wanted a car that stood out. A vette stands out as much as all the other oranges in the orange section of the fruit stand. I'd go with the Raptor over the Vette.

Last edited by REAL 1; 02-28-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Old 02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
By your logic ( and I don't agree with your premise as I think a large part of the young demographic still loves the Shelby name and vehicles and can't afford the extra freight) there will some great buys coming up in the future on CSX 2000 and 3000s.

Rodknock: sorry I'll try and spell Mazada right from now on.

As to the Vette suggestion, My impression was that the op wanted a car that stood out. A vette stands out as much as all the other oranges in the orange section of the fruit stand. I'd go with the Raptor over the Vette.
You do realize that there are bazillions of modern limited edition Ferrari's, Corvette's, Porsche's, etc. that are worth much less than their original MSRP's. Porsche is always coming out with a limited edition Speedster, RS, GT2 or GT3, Corvette's have their Z06's, ZR1's, 25th, 35th, 40th and 50th anniversary models and almost everything is limited with Ferrari. So, these modern limited edition Shelby's and Boss Mustang's will likely follow the same path downwards.

About the only limited edition modern vehicle that I can quickly think of that has held its value is one of the cars that you own counselor.....a 2005-2006 Ford GT.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Rodknock: Yes, you are right. There are loads of "limited" edition this and that peddled by various purveyors of automotive metal. Some truly become collectible, most don't. I agree.

My buying criteria is (1) the car must stir my soul (2) have some potential for collectibility, whether they make or not is to be determined by time.

The FGT I truly believe will be a collectible.

The GT500KR I think will one day be a very desirable Shelby for many reasons.

The Continuation Series Cobra will not be collectible (but will always be desireable) until the day comes when SAI stops making them. If that happens, depending on how many exist at that point their stock will rise percipitously.

Of course my opinions on this are just that. My opinions. I could be wrong on each count above but in the mean time each of these cars is special to me and stirs my soul, makes my heart beat faster when I see them or drive them and I love each one of them as much as the day I got them.

That in the end is whats it's really all about. Isn't it?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That in the end is whats it's really all about. Isn't it?
Actually, no. It's about attaining enlightenment.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Lots of great cars mentioned here, but the question was what could replace a Cobra. Nothing. The Cobra is the baddest car on the planet, and will always be. Shelby did something back in the sixties that no one has ever quite done since, and in my opinion will never do again. He set the world on fire (along with Enzo's ass) and it ain't been put out yet. On this forum, there are tons of replicas that may not be Shelbys, but they are built in the spirit of the real Cobras, and nothing on wheels compares. Technology be damned, the simple 289 or 427 Cobra may be beat, but cannot be replaced.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agreed. There is something special about the Cobra that no other car can duplicate which accounts for it's popularity spanning generations and being the most replicated car in automotive history.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Evan...I think we need to change your handle to Soul Man.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Lots of great cars mentioned here, but the question was what could replace a Cobra. Nothing. The Cobra is the baddest car on the planet, and will always be. Shelby did something back in the sixties that no one has ever quite done since, and in my opinion will never do again. He set the world on fire (along with Enzo's ass) and it ain't been put out yet. On this forum, there are tons of replicas that may not be Shelbys, but they are built in the spirit of the real Cobras, and nothing on wheels compares. Technology be damned, the simple 289 or 427 Cobra may be beat, but cannot be replaced.
That may depend on a person's age. I pulled up to a deli one summer day near Aptos, CA (think affluent California coastal community), and hanging out with their skateboards and bicycles were some "wanna-be-from-da-hood" 14-year olds (you know what I'm taking about: jeans waaay too big, oversized shirts, flat-billed caps cocked sideways...). Anyhow, I pull up and hop out and they ask what my Cobra is. I explain. Then the leader of the skittles says, "You know what an Escalade is." I replied affirmatively. And then he says, "Yeah! That's what I like. Tricked out with 22's with gold spinners and a bad-ass thumper stereo. That's what I like!"

I stared blankly at him for a moment while the rest of the crew responded affirmatively, that yes, they, too, would like an Escalade.

Once the bewilderment of this strange offshoot of Homo Saphiens passed, I replied, "Uh, yeah, cool. I'm, uh, going to get a sandwich. Have fun, guys..."

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
That may depend on a person's age. I pulled up to a deli one summer day near Aptos, CA (think affluent California coastal community), and hanging out with their skateboards and bicycles were some "wanna-be-from-da-hood" 14-year olds (you know what I'm taking about: jeans waaay too big, oversized shirts, flat-billed caps cocked sideways...). Anyhow, I pull up and hop out and they ask what my Cobra is. I explain. Then the leader of the skittles says, "You know what an Escalade is." I replied affirmatively. And then he says, "Yeah! That's what I like. Tricked out with 22's with gold spinners and a bad-ass thumper stereo. That's what I like!"

I stared blankly at him for a moment while the rest of the crew responded affirmatively, that yes, they, too, would like an Escalade.

Once the bewilderment of this strange offshoot of Homo Saphiens passed, I replied, "Uh, yeah, cool. I'm, uh, going to get a sandwich. Have fun, guys..."

DD
Clearly a product of lacking parental supervision as evidenced by the lack of knowledge as to how to properly where a baseball cap and finding jeans that fit. Absent more effective parental direction likely the only Escalades they'll be putting their hands on are the ones they dry off at the car wash.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It takes all kinds to make the big blue ball revolve.Once drove my car to a large RV outlet.After getting out of the car two guys came towards me in somewhat of a hurry,One said, Wow nice Cobra! is it a real one? I said No.As they are walking away the same guys with a different look on his face says,Oh a friend of mine has a real one.Honestly made me chuckle,first instinct was to ask him who his friend was and where was he from.Learned a long time ago it is not worth it with some people.
I dealt with another Cobra owner here in town his car was FE powered,another Dork with his head in the sand.He would never line up beside me and I made it known any time any place,all in good fun you understand.Even asked him one day to show me why he felt his FE was so much better than my 385.Got the answer I suspected "Needs a tuneup" Ya right, he avoided me from then on.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA, 425 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I have sometimes thought that if I ever traded my Cobra for another car, it would be a Viper. Either an older body GTS or the newer body vert. To me this is the car most like a Cobra but has a factory top, AC, etc. Has anyone had one of these? Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustOne View Post
I have sometimes thought that if I ever traded my Cobra for another car, it would be a Viper. Either an older body GTS or the newer body vert. To me this is the car most like a Cobra but has a factory top, AC, etc. Has anyone had one of these? Thoughts?
I agree, just thought that yesterday seeing a Viper convertible go by of the question about a possible replacement for a cobra.open roof side exhaust long nose good power. I never drove one or drove in one but as far as what's available for the price the following link can get you in one and save you 10,000 for any possible upgrades like replacing the suede inserts on the seat :-)just hard to believe the mileage.

Dodge : Viper Dodge : Viper | eBay
Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default small and fast

If I were to sell my BDR it would be for a Kirkham all polished with a... (shame on me) LS9

second best choice under 60' would be a:

BMW M3 convertible
SLK 55 (the SL is too big)
Audi RS4 convertible

all small great v8 fast cars with everyday potential

or maybe the
Jaguar XKR
Lotus