17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Shopping
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for a Cobra project...

So the other day my wife turned to me and said "there are three cars I want you to build". I about crapped my pants! I didn't say anything and just listened.

She said the 1st was the Mini I already built. in 2007 I picked up a bare 1972 Austin Mini shell and completed the build in 2010. I put a 1.6L Honda Vtec in it mated to a Integra LS trans. Pretty fun little go cart.

The second is a lifted Jeep..

The third she said she wanted me to build her a Cobra. I have always loved them just never was in the financial situation to start one... I am getting closer to making it financially work. I guess the biggest part of that is actually having her approval.

I live in Provo UT and I have been down to Kirkham Motorsports who builds replicas. I understand they have several different levels of builds depending on price range. They build most if not all with aluminum bodies.

I'm posting to start my research on the Cobra's and to find out what kits are the better kits and what ones to stay away from.

I'm pretty sure I want to build it with an aluminum body (unless I can be convinced the fiberglass is better for some reason).

I guess my questions are as follows:

1) what chassis kits are the best? I understand there will also be opinions here. I want that.

2) What chassis are going to provide the best value when I am done? I want to build a quality car and want it to have a great to excellent value when I am done. I dont want a car that is only worth $20,000 when I am done. I want something that would sell for a fair price in the range of $40-50K...

3) What body's are the best?

4) What engine and trans configuration is the best to go with for value? Id like to have 400+ HP. A friend of mine picked up a 2003ish Mustang Cobra for cheap and totally rebuilt the motor (still sitting on the stand today) and the trans is a manual (which my wife wants). Would a motor/trans like this setup add value or diminish value from the Cobra I would like to have? It would be a computer operated motor with FI tune ECT... The shop that I have work on all my dealership cars is a mecca for Mustang Cobras. They turn them up to about 1000 HP.

Again, my main goals are as follows: Super nice car, Best value possible (high dollar value), extremely fun to drive and reliability. I would love for my wife to be able to drive it almost daily. (I know that seems contradictory to the value part, but this car after all is going to be built for her).

Last thing I should add is I do have build capabilities. I bought my Mini as a bare shell sitting on a crate. I did all the work my self other then the body, paint work and the vtec conversion kit. Although I did have to modify a lot of the kit and body work.

Thanks for your help

Devin
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Welcome to CC Devin. Your best bet is to link up with some fellow owners in Utah to check out the pros and cons of the different manufacturers. There are a lot of great pre-owned cars out there for sale, so the economics of building a car (while gratifying) may not make sense. The car that you end up building and want sell for $50K will cost you $75K to actually build. It's hard to break even and these cars don't appreciate.

Have fun and best of luck to you with your search.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

The first question you need to answer is

1: What is your overall build budget (including the kit)?

Answer that one and we can go from there.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

welcome Devin.....heres a few to consider when doing your research......
Superformance
Backdraft
Shelby
Kirkham
Lonestar
B&B
Hurricane
ERA
Factory Five
A&C
Pacific Roadsters
Shell Valley
and i know i left out several that are still out there.....
work out a budget...add 20% for the little stuff.....
whats the car going to be used for street, street/race,street/show ???
there are some very nice used cars out there for sale and some unfinished
kits that car be had at a resonable price.....DO YOUR RESEARCH.....
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I happened to run into a dealer friend of mine last week while watching a some kit car (cant remember what it was) go up for auction... He mentioned he is working on a trade that was supposed to go through on Saturday. He said it was a rolling chassis. all race setup. We will see if 1) the deal went through, 2) what it is (may need some help, I will get some pictures) and 3) what the cost would be on it. I am kindof thinking that would be a good way to go seeing as it ALWAYS costs more to build from the ground up then to start with something someone lost interest in. I am crossing my fingers.

My wife said I could have a budget of $15,000. I about died laughing then I talked her up to $30,000. We will see. And when its half way done and the budget is shot to hell, then you retalk about it and we reset the budget.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Welcome to CC Devin. The car that you end up building and want sell for $50K will cost you $75K to actually build. It's hard to break even and these cars don't appreciate.

Have fun and best of luck to you with your search.
Thanks Doug!

Are these figures just for the parts? Id be doing all the work (other then the body) my self.

Thanks!
Devin
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Okay, so you got her up to about half the cost of a Kirkham roller (no engine or tranny). Looks like an aluminum body is out for you.

You could do a nice Factory Five for $30,000 if you were careful about engine/tranny selection and did all the work yourself. Bodywork and paint may take you over your budget, so be prepared.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
Okay, so you got her up to about half the cost of a Kirkham roller (no engine or tranny). Looks like an aluminum body is out for you.

You could do a nice Factory Five for $30,000 if you were careful about engine/tranny selection and did all the work yourself. Bodywork and paint may take you over your budget, so be prepared.
+1
With a 30k budget, the only thing you could hope to get in an aluminum body would be a car that has been flipped 17 times and run over by 2 eighteen wheelers.....

David
Old 04-23-2012, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does she have a sister?

Eric
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

you go keep going and going - i certainly added alot of stuff on my build.
However, i like the A&C Cobra from rochester NY.
You can basically get a frame kit/suspension/body/interior for in the range of $13k. You could run a basic small block and have a blast with it!

The biggest thing that attracted me to A&C was the body. They can prepare it with a marine-style gel-coat finish, kind of like a boat. It looks amazing and its only a $600 option. ZERO flash lines and ZERO body work, you could put the body on and be good to go. I did stripes/clear-coat and some polishing, but the body looked great to begin with. Saves alot of effort .... I would like to build a Kirkham though with a Boss 302 in it though :P
Old 04-24-2012, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Aluminum=Probably isn't going to happen in your budget. #1, in order to sell the aluminum car for a decent sum it will almost certainly need to look period correct. That will cost you...
Engine=If you build a BigBlock Car, Big Block is most likely going to be the key element in the ending value of the car. You can certainly build a small block to exceed the performance of many 427SO cars but, big money almost always wants the bragging rights.
Car=With your budget you can get closer to your 30k number & still be period correct with a small block car. Not to mention, the 289 cars have a lot of great history & number of great looks through the evolution of the car. Some of us have come to prefer the look & heritage of the Small Block Cobra.
I'd look up "Mr Bruce" here on the site. He does some pretty nice looking work from what I've seen & will probably pretty much get you to the point where you feel comfortable taking over.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, 427ci
Not Ranked     

A must.... call Unique Motorcars. Talk with Maurice or Alan.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This may not interest you at all but it is within your stated price range and has very little work left to finish it. The car is well built and is drivable now.

2001 Midstates Classic Cars Cobra replica For Sale

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-24-2012, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

To Ron's point, a great alternative is to find an unfinished kit at a bargain price. They are out there, but you can't hesitate once you find a deal. Good luck!
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

thanks for the link up Ron......
sounds like Devin wants to build his first from scratch......
Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've seen Bob's car. I can't believe it hasn't sold yet.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&b tk-

Please take a look at B&B for what we call our turnkey minus, this is all Factory built no junk yard parts, all new Tubular front and rear suspension, QA1 coil over shocks, it has the Cobra style wheels, it is painted ( not a gel coat finish) any color you want, Interior installed any color, Alum Radiator, Ididit steering, New 18 gal tank, all new Gauges and wiring all you need is your engine and Trans and drive shaft. We are still sellling them at the winter sale price of 19,995 *B&B Manufacturing - :::: - Feel the Thunder - :::: - Hotrods from Kit to Turn Key - :::: for full details.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 09:11 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Looking to purchase a AC Cobra kit car, project unfinished...