• 2 Post By computerworks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engine Advice for Authenticity

Looking for feedback on what engines are good for both the 289 and 427.

Important to me is:

1. Authenticity

2. No need to track the car, probably just weekend driving

3. Reliability

4. "The Look" of authenticity

5. Either an ERA or Superperformance car.

My budget for a car is anywhere from 40 to 55k. So by authentic, I don't mean a 100k plus car with an original engine.

Any feedback would be great!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12yearslater View Post
Looking for feedback on what engines are good for both the 289 and 427.

Important to me is:

1. Authenticity
Based on your #1 criteria:

For a 289: a 289
For a 427: a 427

You are welcome.
601HP and sspano01 like this.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Two good choices of cars, ERA and SPF. I have been trying to arrive at the same conclusions as you. I'll share what I have learned, AND leave myself open for correction, by all means.

Within the budget you've set you will be looking at used vehicles, and I think this is almost without exception for these two makers.

Keep in mind there are a ton of SPF 427 cars running small blocks, typically some variant of a 351Windsor. They are plenty fast, but distinguishable from big blocks, either FE's, Cobra Jets or 385 series, certainly in appearance under the hood, and arguably in sound although this thread will run to Mars and back if we take up THAT particular discussion.

Simplest advice on the 289 cars the choice is easy, small block 289/302, 351W. On the 427 cars, a big block will fill up the engine compartment if you want that look of the old 427 and 428 big blocks, but there are plenty of beautiful 427 replicas with small blocks. Some folks here feel more strongly about this than others. Choice is yours. The vehicle is for YOU, no one else.

Last edited by crASH; 07-26-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Based on your #1 criteria:

For a 289: a 289
For a 427: a 427

You are welcome.
Well, you know a 260, a 428 or an arruminum 390 might do too.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

ERA and SPF, two good choices.

It does not matter which one you buy.

Buy one and drive it!

Dwight
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

If originality is really important, make sure the 289 you get is a "K-code" motor.

That was the 271 HP version of the 289, had a special crank with a front conterweight, and Shelby "Shelbyized" it like he did the 289 in the Mustang GT350 up to a bit over 300 HP (IIRC the number was 306)...tri-y headers and an intake manifold/carb, perhaps a cam (I can't recall whether or not that was one of the changes).

For originality sake, the appearance of the engines is important, too...all of us small block guys who run cast aluminum valve covers that say "Cobra" lose the match to those who run stamped steel valve covers with long breather tubes. There is more....much more.

For the 427 version, only an FE will do if you are looking for originality, and if you really want to be authentic it must be a side-oiler.

Lots of people think the 427 version always had 427FE engines, but in actuality at least half of the big-block cars had 428CJ engines....visually undistinguishable from the 427 side-oilers.

"Originality" didn't last long with these cars, though...many were quickly modified and upgraded...the 260 Cobras almost all had 289 engines swapped in soon as they became available.

In the end, it'll be yours, make it look like YOU think an original would look. Not long ago we had a "barn find" thread, about an old red 289 street model, the owners displayed it at concourse events without even cleaning the rust off the chrome air cleaner...it's not always about looking perfect with these things.

How about gumballs? Rookie stripes over the drivers' side fender.

Lotsa "original" looks...pick one, any one, go for it!

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 07-26-2012 at 07:24 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

In the Cobra world there a lot of engines that have some presedence. From the 221sb in the "what do you think it will fit stage" to the 240sb ,to the 260sb, to the 289sb then to the 390bb, the 427SO,427TO, 428PI . All can make for a fun car. Whats to your liking and your budget

Last edited by Thor maine; 07-27-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Would this be a worm and sector or rack pinion CSX2000?

Would the 427 be for a street, S/C or Comp type CSX3000?
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Budget? Good Luck! Buying a running car might be the least expensive way to go.Building one from scratch with originality in mind the $ add up very quickly.My budget more than doubled.A small block car would seem to be the least expensive build.Good Luck and more important have fun you have plenty of help here.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Rookie stripes over the drivers' side fender.
Dugly...good post, but I have to make a tweak to a common misconception.

1. The diagonal stripes on the front fender are NOT "rookie stripes;" by definition, "rookie" stripes are on the rear of the car, to warn the guy behind you that you may indeed be unpredictable.

The diagonal stripes used infrequently on racing Cobras were "team stripes." Placed on the pit-side of the car when several cobras were involved in the same race, so the crew could easily tell them apart at speed.

2. Since it was indeed rare to see any 427 Cobra racing in a team of them, the fender stripes were probably never used on a 427.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Of you're after a 427 model, just stick with an FE and dress it in period clothing.
Same for a 289 model. Stick with a 289-302 block. Most can't tell beyond that.
Larry
Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Just a small point of order as, "428CJ" has been mentioned several times in this thread, there were never any 428 Cobra Jets in Cobras. They didn't come about until 1968 and by then all the Cobra fun was over. Granted, most looky-loos wouldn't know a CJ from a MR or a PI or SO or TO or TP for that matter. You get my drift. Not saying that a CJ wouldn't be cool in a Cobra it's just that the thread was headed with "Authenticity" so I thought it bared mentioning.

Steve
Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Cobra Kit -428 Fe Built by Clayton Racing Engines
Not Ranked     

The one thing I would ad to this is most members start there thoughts like yourself , I { do not need alot of power : I will not drag race it : I will not track the Cobra ; I want just a nice driver. To all of use that said or thought this ??? YES YOU WILL get mad when you get your doors blown off and you can not keep up , You are KIDDING no one but yourself / / BUILT IT FAST NOW AND NOT BE BUILDING IT OVER AND OVER. Do not ask me how I came to this believe. The proud owner of a Cobra " it has had two motors , three trans 'two rear ends , three brake systems , two paint jobs ect. Do as I say not as I do . I just love it when I see new members show up with there lightly disguised 302 Mustang drive trains in a price premise Kit . You know what is going to happen .
Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA street version
Not Ranked     

289 hipo casting #s are
C3OE-B 63 5 bolt bell
C4OE-B 64 5 bolt bell , both of these are also used on the 260
C5AE-E 65-67 6bolt bell

One thing to remember is these casting numbers are shared with their lower performance brethern the differance is in the internals.

The 289 hipo had thicker main caps, the extra front counterweight, and a solid lifter cam.

Heads were also basicly the same with the addition of spring pockets, and screw in studs.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

With your budget and requirements, you should be more stuck on QUALITY rather than ORIGINALITY.

You're in the used market for both of those cars, so make sure you don't get burnt.

Since you are on the originality train, I guess I won't suggest looking at a brand new 427 (small block 351w) Backdraft.