• 1 Post By YerDugliness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF2271
Not Ranked     
Default Tips and advice?

Tried searching to see what are te best methods of washing and detailing these cars. Cant see taking a hose to these. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Very rarely did I ever use a hose. The best IMO would be to use a clay bar + soap and water on occasion. This helps easily remove bugs, tar, dirt, etc. After that, your choice of detailing spray. The only time I would you a hose was once a season, I would spray down the engine compartment with a mild engine cleaner to take care of any oil/dirt that I couldn't get with my detailing spray/hands. Underside was always by hand, as I don't have access to a lift, so I would jack up each end and do what I could to make the underside look as good as the topside. Also, obviously you would want to get a high quality wax to make sure paint and such was looking as good as possible.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Something like this Griot's Garage Waterless Car Wash, Griots Waterless Car Washing Solution should do. Or something similar. Just type "waterless car wash" into your search provider.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Something like this Griot's Garage Waterless Car Wash, Griots Waterless Car Washing Solution should do. Or something similar. Just type "waterless car wash" into your search provider.
I was going to recommend Griots too but there are a lot of body-men on this forum that are comfortable with professional products. Personally my cabinet is filled with Griots...it's all I use.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, let the flaming begin.

There is nothing wrong with washing a fiberglass car with a water hose & "CAR WASH".

You just have to remember to,
1) Let the car sit in the shade for an hour or so to let it cool off & don't wash it when it is still too hot outside. It's best to wait until the sun goes down.
2) Use a car wash product not dish soap.
3) It is much easier to use just the hose with the water running out instead of a spray nozzle.

I had 77 vette that I washed that way for many years (10+) and the paint was almost as good as when the paint was fresh (normal wear & tear). There are a lot of fiberglass cars out there and a little water never hurts. Does it hurt fiberglass boats to be in the water?

Of course that is only my opinion, which I should probably keep to myself, but oh well.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I'm pretty sure rgnbull1277's concern isn't that it has a fiberglass body - but rather how to keep the interior half-way dry since all upper surfaces seem to slope back to the cockpit. I have a couple older collector cars and I very seldom wash one by soaking it down. Usually I run a California duster over it or blow it off with compressed air, then I take the hose and spray it up it the air to let a heavy mist fall over the entire car. It would probably be a good idea to spray it first with some of the dry-wash spray products advertised that say they will help loosen any dirt - or just detailer spray I also mist the sides and front/rear. This is enough to get the body wet but not so much that it runs into the interior, all the jambs and underhood. I take a damp towel and towel down the car - not to dry it, but to work the misted water around and pick up most of the remaining film on the car. Then with a second, clean, dry towel I spray the car with detailer spray and dry it. I'm still building my Cobra rep. but I think I will cut a piece of blue styrofoam insulation board a little bigger than the cockpit opening so that I can slip it up behind the windshield and cover the interior from the spray. My 2 cents.

Last edited by DanEC; 09-23-2012 at 04:44 AM..
Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2473, Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I use WETPAINT. It's a waterless paint polish/detailer. Have to go online to order. My car is black and it's the best product I've ever used
Old 09-23-2012, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmm..I do mine like Terry does. Hose and a bucket of (proper car wash) soapy water, and a sheep skin mitt.
You just have to do it very carefully to not get the interior to wet. If you do, a half hour out in the sun and it's dry again..
I usually only need to do this once or maybe twice a driving season. The rest of the time a California car duster keeps it looking good.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

My Cobra is Black. I wash my car with a hose when it needs it and dry it. I never get more than a fine mist on the interior. Just wipe it off.

I will give this warning. I have a water softener, and the outside picket has softened water (I plan to bypass the water softener). I came home late on a Sunday night and drove through the worst bug clouds ever. Bug guts dripping off the car, when I got home. So I hosed the bug guts off. Night time, I didn't figure I needed to dry it. The next morning I drove it to work, and it sat in the sun all day. When I came out to go home I saw all the water spots for the first time. I have since spent hours polishing. I have use clar bar and others. If the sun hits just right I can still see these water spots.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     
Default wash

I ve had my GT350 for 23 years and have never washed it.
California duster, Cleaning/detailer sprays, and some waxing.
Underneath a good cleaning solution that can spray on and wipe off.

The Nut
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went to one of those charity type car washes once (in my vette) for a group that was trying to raise money for whatever it was at that time. I let them wash it (in the sun) and the hood,roof and deck lid turned a oxidized rainbowish look.

They said that they would pay to fix it but I told them not to worry about it. It took me hours to rub it out and wax it back to a normal finish.

Now that could have been from a crappy paint job or from the fiberglass gassing, I don't know. That is when I found out about letting them set in the shade and that it is best to wash them around sunset. It gives you time to dry them without as many problems. Really this is best for any car, not just fiberglass ones.

Of course this was in the 80's so a lot of things probably have changed by now with paint and such.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

I use a plastic drink bottle full of distilled water with a very small hole in the cap, along with a small bucket full of soapy water (the type they sell in auto stores, safe for waxed surfaces). Aim it at the part you want to wash, squeeze a bit out of the bottle to wet the car, then have at it with a soft sponge, rinse the soap off with the soda bottle "sprayer", too.

The driveway to my house is inclined....I start with the car aimed up the incline and do the area behind the cockpit first, then turn the car around and do the area ahead of the cockpit. Last to get done are the dash and the doors....never get a drop of water in my interior.

Most often a 1-litre bottle of distilled water is adequate....for both the pre-wash wetting and the rinsing. No spots, but then with a decent coat of wax the water always beads off and runs off "downhill" where I wash the car, that's why I turn it around halfway through.

I do use a California duster between washes to get off the loose dust and debris...and glass cleaner on the windshield.

Cheers!

Dugly
Jaydee likes this.

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is a good idea about washing half, turning the car around and washing the other half.

You don't mind if I steal the from you do you.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Distilled water, great idea. Some of the window cleaner guys here have a large extra fine filter setup, and spray large windows, and not have to sqeaqe them. Dries spotless.
JD