LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     
Default Olthoff Racing and Southern Automotive

Hello all:
Regarding Olthoff Racing and Southern Automotive Engines, I have already made some comments in my thread found in the Shelby American forum. I felt however, I needed to use a larger venue to reach a larger audience. This may not be the right place to post, but I hope the administrators/moderators can/will help decide that.

After almost 15 months I am officially (keys and car in hand) a Cobra owner (CSX6108). I have documented its progress in the SAI forum. This car is just THE absolute bomb! I was speechless and stupid when I first saw it. I kept on laughing without effectively communicating. Hell, maybe a tear to two were dropped. I am looking forward to a lifetime experience, shred with my two boys and wife.

Dennis Olthoff and Bill Parham have my absolute admiration and respect. These two individuals and the team each one leads (Olthoff Racing, Inc. and Southern Automotive Engines) have resurrected my faith in the Service Industry. Perhaps "service industry" is not the best term, but frankly I don't care. The point is these two companies must be the best in their business, period. I also recognize two things:

1) There are other members of this group (engine and car makers/builders) that have the same exact reputation I am trying to exalt here. I interviewed with a number of them. I read this forum for endless hours, and found much guidance. Without this forum (and SAAC's) I could not have done it. At the end I followed my heart, not the numbers, or the pictures, in making my decision. Therefore my most sincere appreciation and gratitude to all of you who listened to me, answered all my questions, sent me your estimates, and gave me your precious time, so I could make a decision. Especially (in no specific order), Tom Lucas, Eric Hinderberger, Nick Acton, Keith Craft, Brent Lykins, George Anderson, and others. Thank you very much.

2) I have yet to really test the car!! I have not driven it long enough to empirically discuss its values and virtues. However, I have very little doubt that this car will not perform to the standards to which it is supposed to.

Bill Parham is a 427 expert, period. The man is so knowledgeable it is scary. Granted, my own knowledge on the topic did not amount to a double spaced one page essay, but I had the books in front of me, and the man was reciting them! He kept telling he would take care of me, and kept calming me down all the way. He never got upset, and never made me feel ignorant or inadequate (something my wife can do quite easily). He would call me out of the blue, unsolicitedly, just to clarify and reassure. Never has the voice of an older Southern motor head ever sound so sweet in my ears His wife Susan, is just the right teammate. She is soft spoken, motherly, but can talk to you about stroking that engine, port matching this intake, or setting off alarms in a parking lot, while out buying groceries. 75% of our conversations happened in the evening, at my leisure. Never got a "I'll call you right back", which I thought was an amazing statistic all by itself. My engine was EXACTLY what had been described and agreed upon from the beginning. Plus, I got a NOS '68 427 FE Side Oiler (date stamped 1972), and free delivery of my car at my door. Negatives? I hope the Parhams use my money too up grade their camera They could use a higher resolution (but I never dared to bring this up

Dennis Olthoff. I have to admit initially I was lured by his last name and pedigree. I am sure it is the same feeling when you hear about Lee Holman and his shop. So much Cobra history! I call Dennis on the phone, or e-mail him (not his favorite mode of communication BTW), and cannot help but to listen quietly, and try to soak it all in. He just raced his dad's old car at Goodwood a month ago, for crying out loud! You want to learn and know about Cobra? This is probably one of the few places that are left. Dennis demeanor, his patience with me (I am sure I must have drove him nuts), and his openness are just impressive. Nothing I brought up caused him to think twice. Reminded me of the tough guy who stands in front of the cannon at the circus to take a cannonball on the gut, and when done, asks for another one... He not only tells you what works in these cars, but more importantly, what does't. Things happened so fast! He does not linger. His team are just that good. My car was delivered by one of Bob Olthoff's old friend (and like family to Dennis)! Here is this guy standing next to me (a nobody in the racing world), sweating it under the LA sun (still hot in Oct.), giving me pointers about the car, and telling me racing stories of Bob and his as partners in crime and co-pilots. I was, like, "Wow". Dennis' wife, sister, and others man the "front desk". They are excellent. They knew exactly what was going on with my car at pretty much any time. Almost like they had a monitor in front of them with the status of each project in the back, being up-dated by the minute (perhaps they DO have it... I'll have to call them and ask). The end result? The car is perfect. Negatives? None. BTW Dennis' camera has more resolution than Bill's

There. In times when almost all we hear and/or see seems to be *****ing and moaning, and complaining, I thought I offer a different perspective inspired by two hard working small business owners that give you more that what you pay for, literally and figuratively speaking.

Thank you Dennis, thank you Bill. God's Speed to all

Hector Negron
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Hector,

Great writeup. My car's (Superformance) engine and trans was installed by Olthoff. I am the second owner of the car. It has about 21,000 miles on it. When I have a question about anything, Dennis is great. He is patient. He is everything you said. The car has been bulletproof. I trust your experience will be the same. I use the car. My wife and I will drive it a couple hundred miles this weekend to visit and stay with friends in North Georgia - leaf season.

The uncontrollable smile will never leave your face. I have owned this car since late 2006. I have owned many sports cars. I want this one forever.

Jack
Old 10-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Best of luck with the car, Hector

ron
Club Cobra Moderator
Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SP2338
Not Ranked     

I could not agree with you more. Bought SP2338 in June 2006 and did the install with help from friends. Did not find out about Dennis until the car was complete and I was having the initial teething problems. Called Dennis and although I did not buy the chassis from him and had not spent a penny for parts from him he walked me through my issues. Over the past six years he and his crew have helped several times via the phone. I have bought all my parts from them and feel guilty that I have not spent more. This September we drove the car from St. Louis to Olthoff's to have then look it over and make suggestions for further upgrades. They literally were waiting for me to arrive and spent the afternoon checking the car out. They took the time to point items out and made suggestions. It was a great lesson in Superformance maintenance and they were very helpful. My only complaint is that they are in North Carolina and not Missouri or at least Illinois. If you have a Superformance they are THE people to buy your parts from and ask for help or guidence. Let me also add that as far as electrical issues go Blas is THE man. His diagrams are grast and he has happily helped when I have done something dumb. Thanks again, Bruce
Old 10-20-2012, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Very eloquently said Hector. I was hanging out with Rick at Olthoff Racing at SAAC 37 when a fellow Club member's Cobra died near the track. JB and another good samaritan got the Cobra to Olthoff's trailer at the paddock and Dennis and Merlin jumped right in and diagnosed the problem as a broken MSD unit. They replaced it and the Cobra was up and running. I thought it was quite admirable that Dennis would take the time to help out a fellow Cobra owner in a time of need.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Dennis and his staff spent a lot of time bringing my SPF back from the brink last year, after several years of my winter driving on salt covered roads in upstate NY. They went above and beyond in many, many ways.

And have you ever seen Dennis drive a race car? He is one of the quickest drivers today in a Cobra or GT-40. Heck, if it has wheels he can drive it fast!!!
Jim Kellogg
Old 10-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And have you ever seen Dennis drive a race car? He is one of the quickest drivers today in a Cobra or GT-40. Heck, if it has wheels he can drive it fast!!!
Jim Kellogg

Peggy I watched him at VIR in a vintage race in 2011. He was driving an SPF GT40, and he won that race. He led the race for the entire 10 laps. It was so exciting from a spectator perspective, I had to tell him so after the race. He seemed embarrassed because of my compliment.

David
Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Hector,
Thanks for taking the time to praise extraordinary service. Usually all we here about is when things go sour.
I have never had the privilege of doing business with Bill Parham, but I have heard many good things. Fortunately, I am just over a four hour drive from Olthoff Racing. Dennis Olthoff and his shop have supported SPF 1061 for 11 years and 65 thousand miles. I have come to know Dennis and his family and crew over the years and I consider them all valued friends. Dennis is incredibly knowledgable, honest and fair. I have never done business with anyone else in my life that I would recommend more highly.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have to let all of you know: holy C&^%!! This car is so awesome. My kids are in awe, and even my wife (reluctantly) loves it I am still learning the way, and I respect it immensely, but I am up to a smoking 50mph and 2500 rpms

The fuel gauge does not work well, which means it does not work, period, so I have been making random trips to the gas station to avoid being stranded. The other day, it read "3/4 to full" and I was not buying it. I went to the gas station and put 21.5 gals of fuel in it!!! (has the standard 23 gal tank). When I finished it read "empty". Nice save, huh?

I'm gonna keep on rocking...

Last edited by Tutosnake; 11-13-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Use your odometer and fill up every 100 miles....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Use your odometer and fill up every 100 miles....
Yep....what DCDoug said. Just get in the habit of stopping by your favorite station when you're out running around and dropping $100 or so. Comes with the territory. It's no Prius!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

@ Bernica and dcdoug:

This is the next decal to stick on the rear quarters of the car:

Still thinking about all the environmental crazies out on the street, though...
Old 11-13-2012, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutosnake View Post
but I am up to a smoking 50mph and 2500 rpms

You need to drive that thing. It doesn't even start to sing until at least 3000 rpm.

I also follow the 100 mile rule. The triangular shape of the tank makes the level guage inherently inaccurate.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
You need to drive that thing. The triangular shape of the tank makes the level guage inherently inaccurate.
All the more so because on your car the fuel level sensor is mounted 1/2 down the tank, so when the gauge starts to move, you need to start thinking about finding a gas station. Oh, little tip, Al G - if you are running the mech and electric fuel pumps, the pickup for the electrics is lower on the tank, just like on the originals. If you run out of gas using the mech pump, turn on the electrics and it should get you to a gas station. I have personally tested this.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

nice tips on the fuel gauge... i have been driving with the electric fuel pump on all the time...is that wrong in any way?

Al G, I have revved it up to 4000-4500, but I do not have confidence to keep it up there for an extended period of time... yet. I am still lounging in, and enjoying the, foreplay phase. I know she's more like a seasoned divorcee and I more like young virgin fool We'll get there...
Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Tutosnake, I forgot you had a CSX. All of my comments apply to you too. , but given that, a couple of add'l comments. Have you calibrated the fuel level gauge sending unit? It's electronic and can be calibrated in a bucket, but you have to remove it from the tank and I advise making sure your tank is mostly empty when you remove it.... I can send you info if you want to do that. It will help some, but as mentioned earlier, the fuel level gauges in CSX cars are really just indicators you need to go get gas. When you see the needle first start to move on acceleration (as gas sloshes away from the sender), you have about 15 gal left.

I'm not sure of your exact build, but mine runs the same on just the mechanical pump, so I use the electrics as a reserve. (You have dual parallel fuel lines from the tank. One goes into the mechanical pump, the other goes from the electric pump in a "T" fitting with the output of the mechanical pump and the feed line up to the carb.) My understanding is that this is what the originals did too. They only had fuel pressure gauges in the comp cars and if they started to run out of gas, they would switch to the electrics with the lower pick up point and it would get them around to the pits.

www.partskeeper.com

Last edited by dcdoug; 11-15-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Edited for a few typos.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you, dcdoug. Good info!

Since I am a novice, I think I will leave it alone for now, and just increase my level of awareness, as you guys have explained. Maybe later I will venture to tinker with it.

Cheers!