26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2021, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This link has a couple of pics of the car when it was purple.
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...ra/1965/181524
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TisMike View Post
In November 1966 I was living in Los Angeles. On the first of November David Vaughan of Binder Edwards and Vaughan turned up at the house of my landlord, Bob Abel, in GYK768C. David had shipped the car to New York and driven to San Francisco to appear on TV and make contacts. He stayed with us until the 12th then flew back to London leaving the car in the driveway. He had said that Bob could use it if he wanted to, so we had a few trips round town and to Lions dragstrip where Bob was making a film. David had hoped to sell the car in the US but eventually I think it was shipped back to England.

sigh...your first post here is to dredge up a 7-year old thread?

...and then I get an emergency message from hall monitor Mr. Mustang saying that you did that?

OMG...the sky is falling!

Last edited by Jamo; 11-09-2021 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-10-2021, 05:14 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
sigh...your first post here is to dredge up a 7-year old thread?

...and then I get an emergency message from hall monitor Mr. Mustang saying that you did that?

OMG...the sky is falling!
Mine was for another reason, which you skillfully left out.

Yet, it did hit on #3 of the "Newbies Read This" which you yourself added as a sticky post several years ago

Respectfully,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-10-2021, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Holy sh!tba!!s...so that meant you should send up the freaking bat signal (moderator button...triangle with an exclamation point)...because somebody dredged up an old thread?

Stop now...don't respond. The sun's not even up here yet.

Side note: Hope you're doing well. Nice talking to me.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I like the old threads!
Old 11-10-2021, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't think this resurrected thread meats the definition of #3! The information here, is still very much not outdated. I am sure there are lots of members who have not seen this historic car. As for those of us that have seen this car before, we only saw the classic ramp photo, and in B&W.

Now, that I am off of my tirade, I wonder at what point this car will be worth more in it's psychedelic paint scheme?
Old 11-11-2021, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now. But the premium may not be that big. Now if it had been in a Beatles movie with John driving I expect it would be sizable.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 View Post

Now, that I am off of my tirade, I wonder at what point this car will be worth more in it's psychedelic paint scheme?
You could always duplicate your car in that scheme, pointing to the original, call it a retro and put it up for auction

Bill S.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-11-2021, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I like the old threads!
Nothing at all wrong with updating an "old" thread with relevant, new discussion. Some people just have an OCD pet peeve with the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Now. But the premium may not be that big. Now if it had been in a Beatles movie with John driving I expect it would be sizable.
Agreed. I think the livery in which an original Cobra became famous or notorious back in the day - whether it be celebrity ownership, racing history or in this case, the outrageous paint job - is probably the best state to restore it to value wise. The thing with something like this though, is that a potential buyer who wants an original Cobra to drive or race would see no value in that color scheme, whereas a collector likely would.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 11-11-2021 at 08:26 AM..
Old 11-11-2021, 10:00 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Nothing at all wrong with updating an "old" thread with relevant, new discussion. Some people just have an OCD pet peeve with the issue

Agreed. I think the livery in which an original Cobra became famous or notorious back in the day - whether it be celebrity ownership, racing history or in this case, the outrageous paint job - is probably the best state to restore it to value wise. The thing with something like this though, is that a potential buyer who wants an original Cobra to drive or race would see no value in that color scheme, whereas a collector likely would.
In terms of restoring Cobras, one situation that I don't agree with was how the Mister Formal Wear Cobra was restored. I always thought the special body from CSX3005 with the extra scoops and the vents in the trunk lid made it unique. I remember seeing the car and Mister Formal Wear posters at a SAAC convention in New Jersey years ago and thinking that was a cool Cobra. So why would the restoration remove the scoops and body features?
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Question

First let me just say I am not on most of your guys level when it comes to ac cobras and such. As a ac cobra owner and hobbyist I am glad that someone dug up the old thread and really do like the paint job for the car shown in the pictures but I must say I just do not understand all the bantering going on about it.I would just like to say thank you to whomever posted the pictures.
Old 11-11-2021, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Holy sh!tba!!s...so that meant you should send up the freaking bat signal....Nice talking to me.
Is this guy Jamo really as arrogant as he appears..... or is he just a puddy cat, just wanting a pat on the head

Cheers!
Glen
Old 11-11-2021, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got crosswise with him once and plan not to again.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Is this guy Jamo really as arrogant as he appears..... or is he just a puddy cat, just wanting a pat on the head

Cheers!
Glen
No and yes but not quite and you had to be there. Pat him on the head at your own risk - it might be well received but then again...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 11-12-2021, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
In terms of restoring Cobras, one situation that I don't agree with was how the Mister Formal Wear Cobra was restored. I always thought the special body from CSX3005 with the extra scoops and the vents in the trunk lid made it unique. I remember seeing the car and Mister Formal Wear posters at a SAAC convention in New Jersey years ago and thinking that was a cool Cobra. So why would the restoration remove the scoops and body features?
I also liked the look of 3005/3102 with the rear scoops, wide fenders and trunk vents. Only one replica manufacturer to my knowledge ever replicated that look - it was Can-Am Motorcars in Vancouver, a very accurate, high-end product that I seriously considered when I was living in Canada back in the 80's and 90's.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

A seven-year old thread?? Seems like only yesterday. I'm happy to see it return thankyouverymuch.

I would say there is zero chance of it ever being returned to that color scheme - but you could try to buy Paul McCartney's piano. Same color scheme by the same artists...or maybe buy a Pacific island instead?
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     
Default Show me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I also liked the look of 3005/3102 with the rear scoops, wide fenders and trunk vents. Only one replica manufacturer to my knowledge ever replicated that look - it was Can-Am Motorcars in Vancouver, a very accurate, high-end product that I seriously considered when I was living in Canada back in the 80's and 90's.
I would love to see some pics of the car you are speaking of some of us here have not been around as long as others.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:37 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss View Post

I would love to see some pics of the car you are speaking of some of us here have not been around as long as others.
Before:

After:

Old 11-14-2021, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I kind of like the original. The weird roll bar and extra scoops, put on for a good reason, not for posing! Then again, I like the plain street big blocks more and more each year!
Old 11-15-2021, 04:43 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 View Post
I kind of like the original. The weird roll bar and extra scoops, put on for a good reason, not for posing! Then again, I like the plain street big blocks more and more each year!
The thing is, those scoops and trunk vents were done to the CSX 3005 body by Shelby American as custom work. The sale fell through on 3005, and the body was removed to sell 3005 as a chassis.

The 3005 body was later sold by Shelby to repair the damaged CSX 3102.

So you have a custom one off body done by Shelby American and you restore CSX 3102 by removing the custom one off body features done by the Shelby factory?
Harpoon PV2 likes this.