Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

The cars are that expensive because there is adequate demand for a limited number, and they are extremely low-volume, hand-build products.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
To be honest it would depend on how historically accurate the Kirkham or Kirkham / Shelby, I'm talking about the alloy cars only, is put together. I feel that if you are driving a Cobra, be it a 289 or 427, the only way to get the originals driving experience is that the car must have all the same build features that were used in the original cars construction. This would include everything from the chassis and body construction to the complete drivetrain and all the nuts, bolts, switches and every other component that made a Cobra a Cobra. If the "Cobra" that you are looking at does not meet this criteria than you are looking at someone's version of a hot rod, there's nothing wrong with that as it may or may not out perform a "Cobra" or it may be better engineered than an original Cobra but the driving experience is definitely not like driving an original Cobra. As for the Shelby vs Kirkham, Kirkham supplies SAI but has a far better customer relationship, Shelby provides a CSX number. I apologize in advance if this offends anyone but it is what it is.
Bingo. I also hear the Hurlocks/AC were easier do deal with back then too. Most would still rather have a Shelby.

There no doubt is an ass for every seat. Even Kirkhams.

Diluted DNA? Then I guess original coupes suffer from the same ailment.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
The cars are that expensive because there is adequate demand for a limited number, and they are extremely low-volume, hand-build products.
The only question a buyer would have to have would be hand-built where and by whom?
Old 08-27-2013, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As with anything in this world items are worth what people are willing to pay.The more money we have to spend the more we have to pay for luxuries like Cobra's.

We all have these cars for different reasons,the differences in our cars shows that.

When we built our Cobra it was assembled with the best the industry had to offer at that time with the money I had to spend.

In the end it is still not an original that's a good thing for an average Joe like me.This car can be truly enjoyed everyway I drive it.Modifying it adds value not take it away another good thing.Giant stroker motors,5 speed trans whatever,it's all about enjoying this hobby to the fullest.Getting started with intial kit was reasonable what more could the average Joe ask for.Money?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As an employee of Kirkham I know we supply the body and frame to Shelby. We usually install the foot boxes and floor panels but that's it. That is where the Kirkham ends and the Shelby begins. Shelby finishes the car off with their parts and usually to the exact specs as the originals. Kirkhams are built almost the same only we have options that have improved the car based on our experience of building them as well as tracking the cars. Like our billet suspension for example. You can still option for an original style suspension but the car doesn't handle nearly as good. Typically you'll end up spending around $130k for a Kirkham new after you install your engine and tranny. Shelby cars are closer to $200k. They are built ever so slightly different and many people see the Shelby name stamped on it and they instantly think it is real and therefore worth more money. Kind of like comparing a VW and an Audi. They start out the same and often are built next to each other but in the end the badge is what you pay for.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

One absolute truth about any market is that things are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay at that time......even if the would be seller does not sell.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
One absolute truth about any market is that things are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay at that time......even if the would be seller does not sell.
Absolute truth about any market? Well, then I'd talk to the folks that worked for and invested in Enron, or there's that whole subprime mortgage scandal in 2007-2008. Then there are the monopolies and such. I love when people talk about the free markets and something is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay at the time." Even if the seller does not sell?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyhales View Post
As an employee of Kirkham I know we supply the body and frame to Shelby. We usually install the foot boxes and floor panels but that's it. That is where the Kirkham ends and the Shelby begins. Shelby finishes the car off with their parts and usually to the exact specs as the originals. Kirkhams are built almost the same only we have options that have improved the car based on our experience of building them as well as tracking the cars. Like our billet suspension for example. You can still option for an original style suspension but the car doesn't handle nearly as good. Typically you'll end up spending around $130k for a Kirkham new after you install your engine and tranny. Shelby cars are closer to $200k. They are built ever so slightly different and many people see the Shelby name stamped on it and they instantly think it is real and therefore worth more money. Kind of like comparing a VW and an Audi. They start out the same and often are built next to each other but in the end the badge is what you pay for.
I think this thread should end with this post. Period.
66gtk and phattyhales like this.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Absolute truth about any market? Well, then I'd talk to the folks that worked for and invested in Enron, or there's that whole subprime mortgage scandal in 2007-2008. Then there are the monopolies and such. I love when people talk about the free markets and something is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay at the time." Even if the seller does not sell?
Frankly, I don't understand your point..the fact that things do not retain their value simply means they have a new or different value (at a point in time)...Enron or any other...same with monopolies...I also love it when people talk about free markets...of course you have to define free...they are all " free " if you have a willing buyer or seller...there are always choices..
Old 08-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
Frankly, I don't understand your point..the fact that things do not retain their value simply means they have a new or different value (at a point in time)...Enron or any other...same with monopolies...I also love it when people talk about free markets...of course you have to define free...they are all " free " if you have a willing buyer or seller...there are always choices..
I hate it when people say, in every forum that I'm member of, that old line that a willing buyer and seller make a deal, then that is market value.

Last edited by RodKnock; 08-27-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Old 08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I hate it when people say, in every forum that I'm member of, that old line that a willing buyer and seller make a deal, then that is market value.
A man and his wife were walking down the street and passed an antique store. In the window was a tattered old black and white picture of a man and his family. The wife said "Look honey, I really like this picture." The shop owner said "... and it's only $25, you can't beat that!" At which time the husband said, "Oh my goodness, that is my grandfather, and his family, back in the ghetto of Warsaw. I have to have it." At which time, the shop owner said "well in that case, the price is now $250." The man buys the picture. What is the market value of the photograph?

Last edited by patrickt; 08-27-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well...gee...that is the price of being in the forum, a price you are willing to pay.

Consider that they might be right.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 registered Brushed Kirkham polished stripes, 427 FE kieth craft 482 efi.ss chassis and all the go gear .
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A man and his wife were walking down the street and passed an antique store. In the window was a tattered old black and white picture of a man and his family. The wife said "Look honey, I really like this picture." The shop owner said "... and it's only $25, you can't beat that!" At which time the husband said, "Oh my goodness, that is my grandfather, and his family, back in the ghetto of Warsaw. I have to have it." At which time, the shop owner said "well in that case, the price is now $250." The man buys the picture. What is the market value of the photograph?
It depends....

was it the original or a copy ?

Soul.:
phattyhales likes this.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman View Post
It depends....

was it the original or a copy ?

Soul.:
OK, that had a touch of humor in it....
Old 08-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
OK Real 1 posted a Continuation Cobra roller is up to 160g if that is correct. Not sure what a Kirkham roller is going for.

I know automobiles fairly well so why do these cost so much? I mean are you paying 50 grand or more just for the Cobra diluted "DNA" as some members state. Not trying to start something there's enough on here already.

That's why I was asking what the market has been for used ones. Not interested in one. I mean I would rather have a hand made Aston than a continuation if it's in the 200,000. range. Give me a break!! You gentlemen speak on alloy bodied are they mixing gold or plat. in the mix?
I was just thinking about your question. Shelby may be asking 160k for a continuation Cobra roller, but Kirkham has sold one of their cars for a cool 1 million dollars, and that car did not need any Shelby DNA to get that price.

427 Billet Chassis Book

I don't think there is any gold mixed in there, but there is some gold colored insulation on the foot boxes.