23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Why do these "models" cost so much?

OK Real 1 posted a Continuation Cobra roller is up to 160g if that is correct. Not sure what a Kirkham roller is going for.

I know automobiles fairly well so why do these cost so much? I mean are you paying 50 grand or more just for the Cobra diluted "DNA" as some members state. Not trying to start something there's enough on here already.

That's why I was asking what the market has been for used ones. Not interested in one. I mean I would rather have a hand made Aston than a continuation if it's in the 200,000. range. Give me a break!! You gentlemen speak on alloy bodied are they mixing gold or plat. in the mix?

Last edited by OnyxRider; 08-19-2013 at 01:46 PM..
Old 08-18-2013, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I'm going to get some popcorn, this should be interesting.......
OZCOBRA and Mando like this.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

...and that's why I love my 32K FPSB sooooo much!!!

To the uninformed, FPSB=Fake Plastic Sh*T Box

Pat
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!
Old 08-18-2013, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
OK Continuation Real 1 posted a Continuation Cobra roller is up to 160g if that is correct. Not sure what a Kirkham roller is going for.

I know automobiles fairly well so why do these cost so much? I mean are you paying 50 grand or more just for the Cobra diluted "DNA" as some members state. Not trying to start something there's enough on here already.

That's why I was asking what the market has been for used ones. Not interested in one. I mean I would rather have a hand made Aston than a continuation if it's in the 200,000. range. Give me a break!! You gentlemen speak on alloy bodied are they mixing gold or plat. in the mix?
I'll throw a little fuel on the fire. It's because they are paying 50 grand more for misplaced and diluted Shelby "DNA". The Cobra is not the marquis car that should be recognized, the GT40 is with wins at The 24 Hours of Le Mans from '66-'69, the most prestigious and coveted race event of the year. That was Enzo Ferrari's unseating as the dominant racing force at the time, the FIA and 427 "Cobra" were stepping stones to get there. The Daytona Coupe also a capable contender but the GT40 put Enzo on his ass.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Because people will buy them, there is an ass for every seat...
KevinW likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

.... I knew someone would start this Thread.

Guessing it will run to 10 pages..

Then I will start a a thread ..."What real contribution did CS make?".....
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
OK Continuation Real 1 posted a Continuation Cobra roller is up to 160g if that is correct. Not sure what a Kirkham roller is going for.

A quick answer, A Kirkham roller starts at $69,500, a CSX roller, now is $160,000, A nicely equipped Kirkham roller is about $85,000, why they cost what they do, many reasons...are they worth it, you decide...
Old 08-18-2013, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Mmmm I think I will bring in the heavies...

Might just link this to the a kirkham site.... x
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-19-2013, 12:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

I think the price is a case of 'Lubinsky marketing'.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quality parts - labor intensive hand shaped, fitted, welded and hand filed aluminum bodies. To me a Kirkham roller is a heck of a deal. If I could have comfortably swung the additional $25K +/- over my ERA I probably would have done so. No comment on the SA cars - certainly paying a lot for the title.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Simple, more expense and labor and better bragging rights...why not!

Popcorn , Peanuts, Beer (Opps, in this case fine wine)....... step right up folks!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     

My superformance car is hands down better than the "kit" car I had before it and the ride is phenominal! But still less than a Kirkham. It is what your wallet can stand to have torn out of it IMHO!

Yeah this will be a good thread.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
a quick answer, a kirkham roller starts at $69,500, a csx roller, now is $160,000......

a nicely equipped kirkham roller is about $85,000, why they cost what they do, many reasons...are they worth it, you decide...:d
yes!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

SAI seems more interested in making Shelby Mustangs and new products like the Shelby Raptor, etc.
In my business (like any) we have bread and butter products (like the Shelby Mustangs for SAI). Then we have the PITA products which take lots of time and resources (like the Cobra). The only way to make the PITA products more palatable is to raise the cost. Soon enough you'll find your happy ground of effort and profit.
The last time SAI raised roller prices everyone said, "No way! They'll suffer. They'll get what they deserve!"
Well, the cost increases keep coming. I'd love to see the numbers on a CSX roller, it must be good.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

To be honest it would depend on how historically accurate the Kirkham or Kirkham / Shelby, I'm talking about the alloy cars only, is put together. I feel that if you are driving a Cobra, be it a 289 or 427, the only way to get the originals driving experience is that the car must have all the same build features that were used in the original cars construction. This would include everything from the chassis and body construction to the complete drivetrain and all the nuts, bolts, switches and every other component that made a Cobra a Cobra. If the "Cobra" that you are looking at does not meet this criteria than you are looking at someone's version of a hot rod, there's nothing wrong with that as it may or may not out perform a "Cobra" or it may be better engineered than an original Cobra but the driving experience is definitely not like driving an original Cobra. As for the Shelby vs Kirkham, Kirkham supplies SAI but has a far better customer relationship, Shelby provides a CSX number. I apologize in advance if this offends anyone but it is what it is.

Last edited by CompClassics; 08-19-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK I don't go by the workmanship angle at all. someone posted 90 grand for the Cobra name in the 160,000 roller thread.

The only connection I see is that CS put his ok on the deal and name(you guys know more about the financials than me). I see it that you are paying for that if you have the money to spend. I don't see the used ones(Continuation) that recently did not sell supporting this inflated price. Just my observations.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You could google CSX7049............this particular build is far different than I am addressing in my previous post though, almost the exact opposite!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
You could google CSX7049............this particular build is far different than I am addressing in my previous post though, almost the exact opposite!
That baby went for 320,000. but it was an interesting read. I did have access years ago to Shelby's west coast garage. Not sure if I ever saw this one. Great er cars Omni GLH & Shelby Dakota!!!

This one sold for $95,000. what do you think?

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=SC0513-153721

Last edited by OnyxRider; 08-19-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are actually comparing apples and oranges on your link:

1) 427 bodies are available from SAI in fiberglass and aluminum (aluminum being premium)

2) your referenced link was to a fiberglass CSX
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
You are actually comparing apples and oranges on your link:

1) 427 bodies are available from SAI in fiberglass and aluminum (aluminum being premium)

2) your referenced link was to a fiberglass CSX
I did not know it was fiberglass, I came across it after I located the one you were speaking on.