28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By G-Pete

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     
Default Scissor Lift

I am putting a scissor lift in a new garage building. I had the foundation poured to accommodate a BendPak SP-7X in ground for a level floor when it is down. But the wells can be easily modified at this state for anything else that might make more sense. I want the floor clear of posts, so I'm set on the scissor style in ground for my use.

Any suggestions/opinions of something that might be better than the BendPak?

Thanks,
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

I'll be watching for the answers on this one. I'm looking for a sissor lift as well but have concerns on how stable they are from side to side or if the twist. If someone has one, please address this stability issue as well. Thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Wayne: That's what I bought years ago (2004), for a Porsche I had. Worked great for that, as there's nothing in the middle of the Porsche chassis. Pain in the butt for a front engine rear drive tranny in the middle car (Cobra), but better than jack stands. Had to build wooden ramps to drive Porsche/Cobra over the hoist because their listed height for the collapsed lift did not take into account the safety latch which sticks up another inch or two. Recessed into the floor should take care of that.
If I had the ceiling height I'd prefer a two post (they have short ones now) But if you're limited by ceiling you'll be happy with the scissor type. My Bend pac has been trouble free so far !
Ted
Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Greg: stability is not a problem. weight limit on mine is 6000 lbs, so very stable at 2000-3000 lbs.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA, 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Wayne,

I've had a Bend-Pak for about 10 years now and it has been trouble-free. I like that I can move it around the garage to accommodate either 2 or 3 cars parked there. You will lose that flexibility if you set it in concrete, so to speak. On the other hand, I have to use 2X12 planks to drive the cars up on in order to clear the safety latch, as Ted has mentioned above. The Ferrari requires one plank on each side; the Cobra needs two each side. The recently sold Alfa Romeo didn't need the planks at all.

Imagine a couple of 2X12s linked by a 2X4 to make an "H" and with small coaster wheels attached to the tops of the 2 by 12s. That's what I've jury-rigged to move the planks if I want to move the lift, plus the 2X4 keeps the 2X12s at a set distance from one another.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #773, 482 stroker, cross ram stack injection
Not Ranked     

I installed the BandPak P-6FB. It is recessed 3/4" to make way for a 3/4" ply cover for a flat shop floor. The most important criteria was being able to get between the stands for motor and transmission service.

The other lift that looks interesting is the new BendPak portable lift. No pit, completely portable, a good choice for occasional use.

The pit has turned out to be a 'magnet' for tools, washers and small nuts.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1185, VMS 427r
Not Ranked     

I don't have anything as extraordinary as a hydraulic or motorized lift, however I do have a Kwiklift which I love because I have unobstructed access to the full underside which has come in very handy frequently. My point isn't to get a Kwiklift, but rather to point out you will not regret ever having access to the entire underbelly of your car.

I was contemplating the Bendpak scissor lift and am very glad I didn't get it for that reason. The regret, I do have (and that's somewhat harsh), is the inability to remove wheels, in which case, I'd raise the car on jack posts when off of the Kwiklift.

What do I prefer better if I can't have both the access to wheels and access to the underside? Access to the underside. There were other drivers for the Kwiklift such as I move frequently and can take the Kwiklift with me or store it while living overseas, however its a personal choice and just my view. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Widows Son; 02-09-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

I have the SP 7X. It's solid. I thought about putting it level with the floor as well. But it has been fine as-is. Flush would be cool.

You will of course, lose some clearance height by putting it in the floor.

Note that it does drift back some as it goes up. So the car will end up going backwards a few inches as you lift it. This may be crucial if you are going to set the lift flush. You won't be able to make adjustments fore/aft if you don't get it right the first time.

The lifts end up being nice tool shelves when working on the car.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The regret, I do have (and that's somewhat harsh), is the inability to remove wheels, in which case, I'd raise the car on jack posts when off of the Kwiklift.

Just a question but didn't you get a bridge with your Kwiklift? I got one along with jacks and I have no problem at all with removing wheels when the car is on the lifts. The bridge is heavy but very stable.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I don't have anything as extraordinary as a hydraulic or motorized lift, however I do have a Kwiklift which I love because I have unobstructed access to the full underside which has come in very handy frequently. My point isn't to get a Kwiklift, but rather to point out you will not regret ever having access to the entire underbelly of your car.

I was contemplating the Bendpak scissor lift and am very glad I didn't get it for that reason. The regret, I do have (and that's somewhat harsh), is the inability to remove wheels, in which case, I'd raise the car on jack posts when off of the Kwiklift.

What do I prefer better if I can't have both the access to wheels and access to the underside? Access to the underside. There were other drivers for the Kwiklift such as I move frequently and can take the Kwiklift with me or store it while living overseas, however its a personal choice and just my view. Good luck and keep us posted.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-10-2014, 03:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I have a scissor lift I will probably recess into the floor at some point. For the time being it needs planks to wheel them over. I think having access to everything except the underneath of the tranny is the best access to your car for working on it above and below. The frame rails in the middle of most Cobra frames need some long reach arms on a post lift which tends to make them less stable in my opinion. I'd say go for it on the scissor style.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Widows Son, I don't follow what you are saying. The Bend Pak SP 7X has full access to the underside. I can get to everything with nothing obstructed. Check out the video. http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/spe...fts/sp-7x.aspx

Last edited by Paul F; 02-10-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1185, VMS 427r
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
The regret, I do have (and that's somewhat harsh), is the inability to remove wheels, in which case, I'd raise the car on jack posts when off of the Kwiklift.

Just a question but didn't you get a bridge with your Kwiklift? I got one along with jacks and I have no problem at all with removing wheels when the car is on the lifts. The bridge is heavy but very stable.

Ron
You are correct, my mistake, I was thinking of the BendPak MD6XP...
Old 01-30-2015, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1058
Not Ranked     
Default Sidepipe clearance

Hi,
Learning a lot here. Want to get a mid-rise to do light maintenance and detailing of my BDR and other vehicles. Is there an issue with sidepipe clearance and distance from wheel to wheel span?...thanks Bill
Old 01-30-2015, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I build my car on a Table Lift, with the table removed. I fabricated a frame which accommodates the ladder frame of the Cobra 289 or 427.

I'm looking for a lift at home. Same type of table lift. The advantage is, when you lower the lift it is just a metal platform even with the garage floor. Besides that you have an adjustable heavy duty table middle in the garage - for all kinds of work.

Jack from the 911 forum did a fantastic job, my plan is to do the same (minus the tile hehe).....

FYI: For Porsche owners is the lift table easily justified: An oil change is at the dealer around $500 - DIY about $120....
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 01-30-2015, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Check out his garage...WOHA

The 12-Gauge Garage
Fast289 likes this.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 01-30-2015, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

I guess I got lucky. When I built my house the garage ceiling ended up over 12 feet.
Here is a photo of my Porsche on the lift, soon to be replaced by a Superformance Cobra.

I just ordered a rolling jack.

Should be pretty handy but I'll wait until the jack arrives and I get to play with it.

I park under the lift all winter.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Very Inexpensive Alternative

OK, this isn’t even in the same category as the Kwiklift or BendPak, but a relatively inexpensive alternative for getting the Cobra off the ground.

Steel Floor Jack Cross Beam
Of course a floor jack and jack stands will be needed, but most folks will already have these. It seems like this would provide a quick and easy way to get the front and rear, or an individual side, off of the ground to get jack stands under it. It has a two ton capacity (it's just shown on a four ton jack), so half a Cobra should be no problem.

Some pluses and minuses (ie., jack stand bases take up more space underneath, but could be moved to accommodate; limits on just how high you can go), but if you already have a jack and jack stands, and are limited on space, this is a very small additional expenditure. If skeptical of HF, they are also available from Northern Tool, Summit Racing, and even Amazon. I don’t have one, so I can’t provide any personal experience, but most of the reviews seem to be favorable. I am strongly considering purchasing one for working on my passenger vehicles if nothing else. Like I say, just a quick and inexpensive alternative.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra
Old 01-30-2015, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Nussbaum is the best unit I've found.....been using it for many years and is great....a bit on the expensive side but forth every dime.......we even put 2x4 tubing across the plates to lift mini vans.....

Now they have one that goes up to 9000#lbs...

JUMBO 7000 | Double Scissor Lift | Nussbaum Automotive Solutions

Morris
Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Ron
Like this?