21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Protecting Your Fuel Filler Cap From Monkeying

A couple of years ago, Jamo posted a great pic on how he wired his cap to discourage "monkeyers," but still be able to quickly gas up (because the ends just pull out). I've had it on my to-do list ever since, even though it's a quick job. Yes Chas, now when I'm wolfing down that thermidor, I'll rest easy knowing my fuel-filler cap is protected. And you gotta admit, it looks cool, too.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-25-2016 at 10:55 AM..
Old 03-01-2014, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I like that. I recently posted a thread over on Cobra Registry asking the guys that have been around for a while if they parked their cars at restaurants, home depot, whatever to get some feedback on how often their cars are messed with. One response said in 5 years of frequently parking the car the only thing that happened was someone popped the filler cap open - apparently no damage but someone messed with it.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You'll get tired of that at fill-up time. Jamo's was one continuous loop around the hinge and snugly twisted at the clasp. Barely enough slack to lift it off the hinge side. I only did that on-track.
Scratches your aluminum if it's working correctly. A tab of electrical tape prevents that.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

Do ERA's have a locking cap inside of the flip cap?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
You'll get tired of that at fill-up time. Jamo's was one continuous loop around the hinge and snugly twisted at the clasp. Barely enough slack to lift it off the hinge side. I only did that on-track.
Scratches your aluminum if it's working correctly. A tab of electrical tape prevents that.
Chas, you do realize that the sole purpose is to give the appearance that it is securely wired down, but to be instantly removable for fill-ups, and then quickly re-fastened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfver View Post
There's another, traditional gas cap, under the flip-top. I don't know if there's enough room to replace it with a locking one or not, though.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

Will try to machine and fit a locking cap. In the late 60's I had some one dump a lime slush in the tank on my 57 MGA. Flip up cap is really accessible and a real curiosity for some. Hard to watch it all the time....I also like the idea of securing it a simple way to deter the curiosity seekers.

Paul T.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

My SPF came with a locking gas cap. I also usually lock the hood latches if I'm going to be away from the car at a car show a park it somewhere where I can't keep an eye on it.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-01-2014, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfver View Post
Stant 10582, as recommended in the ERA manual. You can get it on Amazon.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Scratches your aluminum if it's working correctly
That's part of the charm, no?
I did mine ala Jamo and I dig it.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I dare someone to MONKEY with my gas cap, they will get my foot up their ass...
Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Not trying to hijack, Patrick...got some PMs requesting pics...old/out of focus.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
There's another, traditional gas cap, under the flip-top. I don't know if there's enough room to replace it with a locking one or not, though.
That is unless you substitute a street roadster fill cap - then nothing but a big hole. I was thinking to myself that I really don't need to bother with this until I was reminded of that.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
That is unless you substitute a street roadster fill cap - then nothing but a big hole. I was thinking to myself that I really don't need to bother with this until I was reminded of that.
Dang, that finish looks like RodKnock's mirror-polished Kirkham.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Chas, you do realize that the sole purpose is to give the appearance that it is securely wired down, but to be instantly removable for fill-ups, and then quickly re-fastened.
No Sheldon-the sole purpose of this is to prevent a gasoline bath in an on-track (or street) rollover.
That is - for real users, not posers.
A 5 year-old could still tamper with what you've got and pee in your tank.
Thanks Jamo, glad you reposted.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No Sheldon-the sole purpose of this is to prevent a gasoline bath in an on-track (or street) rollover.
Incorrectumundo, exhaust breath. The sealing cap beneath the flip top handles that quite nicely. If I roll over hard enough to rip the flip top off, and the cap beneath it, then no piece of safety wire is going to save my sorry ass. You just hate it when I win. BTW, that twisted wire is quite firm, and you would never be able to tell that it's ornamental. And it "hinges" open without touching the fender, so there's no danger of me nicking that beautiful paint job, either.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-25-2016 at 10:56 AM..
Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Must be some pretty dumb 5 year olds in your neighborhood. And we didn't have no stinking sealing caps back when they were built by men..
But the real reason you like this, milquetoast, is it's easy on your manicure....
FuzzyDiceRide likes this.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Stant 10582, as recommended in the ERA manual. You can get it on Amazon.

I use the Stant 10582 locking gas cap.

It seems to fit well, just aim the 'fixed ears' at the slots in the filler neck rim and the 'spring ears' click as they latch under the rim of the filler neck when pushed straight on.

That being said, it's hard to get a hand in there at the same time, so I lower the cap using the key, then push it in to click. Removal of the gas cap with the help of the key is also no problem, but once the cap is out from the filler neck area, keep a hand on it so you don't risk dropping in on the fender ...
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Roadster
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
I use the Stant 10582 locking gas cap.

It seems to fit well, just aim the 'fixed ears' at the slots in the filler neck rim and the 'spring ears' click as they latch under the rim of the filler neck when pushed straight on.

That being said, it's hard to get a hand in there at the same time, so I lower the cap using the key, then push it in to click. Removal of the gas cap with the help of the key is also no problem, but once the cap is out from the filler neck area, keep a hand on it so you don't risk dropping in on the fender ...
Be advised people, the Stant 10582 will not fit Factory Five gas filler pipes. They have a 1200/1600/2000 slot configuration NOT 1200/1500/1800/2100 slots that you find on the 10582. Not sure what the Stant locking substitute part number would be…if they carry it.
BBryan
Old 03-05-2014, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I have 42 gal fuel cell with bladder and flip over baffle. I use same wire as on knockoffs and use piece of clear fuel line slipped over wire just before final twist to keep from scratching aluminum cap. Use fuel line around spoke when putting wire to knockoff also.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:02 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by razerwire View Post
I have 42 gal fuel cell with bladder and flip over baffle. I use same wire as on knockoffs and use piece of clear fuel line slipped over wire just before final twist to keep from scratching aluminum cap. Use fuel line around spoke when putting wire to knockoff also.

We have found small ID clear model aircraft fuel line to work very well with safety wire. Stays clear and is very flexible not mention cheap! Soft enough not to mar the aluminum.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/