Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Replica or a modern reproduction? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/128455-replica-modern-reproduction.html)

buddyg 04-12-2014 06:42 PM

I didn't miss anything if it's a real Cobra it should worth $800,000 to $1 million?

Let me educate you, I'm making a point it's not a real 60's Cobra it's a replica just like many others.

AL427SBF 04-12-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyg (Post 1295179)
I didn't miss anything if it's a real Cobra it should worth $800,000 to $1 million?

Let me educate you, I'm making a point it's not a real 60's Cobra it's a replica just like many others.

"Originally Posted by buddyg
So Real1 if your continuation (replica) is a real Cobra shouldn't it appreciate in value like the original Cobra of the 60's?"

"Originally Posted by Anthony
... I have seen consistently sell for more than their original "purchase" price are the csx4000's"

buddyg, your comprehension of the english language is sadly lacking.

jolsen42 04-12-2014 07:26 PM

Ron,
Please, I'm begging you man, please kill this thread. I said earlier that this is just so silly, but now has turned into the most absurd posting ever. It's about people with opinions, that's all. Opinions, some of which are perverse. It's so bad that I'm actually agreeing with Evan. 142 posts (so Far), and they get more absurd with each on. Please, please Ron, kill it. My hair is hurting.

John O

Thor maine 04-12-2014 07:42 PM

Ok so maybe the new CSX continuation cars have some what of a lineage to the genuine original cars from the 60's made by Shelby American, AC LTD and Ford. But they are still a replica of those cars, sold in kit form(to get around the laws of today).But The Shelby of today is not the company it was in the 60's nothing is from then, not one piece of tooling, not one person and Carroll has left this world. It is just a logo that carries on. So over across the pond AC LTD cars has sold/leased their logo and their intellectual property and new people carry on with AC Heritage and they are making continuation Cobra replicas. (like what happened with Indian motorcycles)they have restarted the COB and COX serial number system and they made a deal with GM for LS-7 engines (yahoo for the Chevy in a GENUINE COBRA guy's) So if a new CSX guys claim they have "something more" because it was made by Shelby, (one of the manufacturers of the real cars from the 60's), do the guy's with a new AC Cobra get to make that same claim??? And does the SAAC have an opinion on this???

MRGEORGE077 04-12-2014 08:02 PM

So why don't we start a vote on which one of all the replicas out there are the most real?::D

Ralphy 04-12-2014 08:45 PM

Real1/Evan, you keep saying I can't grasp this and I can't grasp that. You can't grasp the fact my first post 14 had nothing to do with slandering any type of Cobra, period. Even though I've told your dumb ass this more than once. You later told me you define yours as a Cobra period. So how do you get my wacky ass post was aimed, especially you? Who by the way, at the time NEVER even posted on this thread? Just Damn McFly?

Go back read my post 14 and the op's title for this thread. I USED HIS WORDS WHICH YOU CLEARLY OVERLOOKED. As comedy, you know comedy no? That stuff you do when the stick is out off your ass or your not constipated?
Ralphy

Anthony 04-13-2014 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nedsel (Post 1295170)
I can handle the "apples to oranges" equation. But you lose me on the cars to guns comparison. And I wouldn't call a Shay Model A a replica because too many things have been changed from the original. To me, it would more closely fit the definition of a "replicar."

well, you lost me on the "replicar" to "replica" comparison, as I thought a replicar meant a replica pertaining to an automobile, but hey, I was never good in English, as somebody above pointed it out again to me, dammit.

After thinking about my gun analogy, I think it's a perfect analogy. I take it you're not a gun guy. The Winchester model 1873 is the most, if not one of the most iconic rifles, firearms, ever made, because of it's "performance". Other contenders being colt 1873 model P (peacemaker), m1 garand, colt 1911, etc. Anyways, Winchester manufactured the 1873 from then until 1919. They are all valuable, with a few being extremely sought after, like a 1 of 100. Telling a gun collector you stumbled upon, purchased a Winchester 1873 1 of 100 at a garage sale would likely cause him to have a cardiac arrest. An analogy would be an average joe muscle car guy stumbling upon, purchasing the missing coupe at a warehouse foreclosure sale, and calling you to find out what he actually purchased. Actually, that's a great analogy.

Anyways, the Winchester 1873 has been a highly sought after collectible for a long time, such that many other companies started to produce "replica's" for the market for various reasons, cowboy action shooting competitors, collectors, etc. I guess because the market for these is so great, Winchester decided to begin manufacturing these again, structurally the same, from what I understand, to gain a piece of the market share. I'm thinking they're more expensive than the other replica's out there. Does this seem similar to the cobra market?

Now, "Winchester" is really the same company it was, although maybe having different names at times, when it started as the Volcanic repeating Arms company, then reorganized as the new haven arms company, then reorganized as the "Winchester repeating arms company", a name that has stuck since, likely because of the model 1873. It then has sold several times to other firms, new owners, and production has moved to other states, even another country, Japan. All along, however, the name "Winchester" has remained, despite oliver Winchester dying about 130 years ago.

So, does the history of the Winchester 1873 seem similar to the business history of the cobra? To me, it's so similar it's crazy.

It's just funny how all of us here go crazy over details that 99.9999% of the population could care less about.

When people come up to me and ask me if car is real or not, I always say its not, as we all know what they are really asking is if it is a Shelby cobra made from the 1960's. Rarely, somebody comes up to me, already knowledgeable about the various cobra's on the market including the csx4000, and I call them all cobra's, because that's what they're all supposed to be. Some are more expensive, faster, more original spec, etc, but they are all cobra's, or even Shelby cobra's, as that is what the general population calls them all anyways.

I believe the csx4000's, csx7000's, csx8000's are all "true" Shelby cobra's, as they're all from the "Shelby" company.

Whether your 1873 Winchester is an "original" made from 1873 to 1919, is a modern replica of a Winchester 1873 made by navy arms, or is a new Winchester made model 1873, they're all Winchester 1873's, but the newly manufactured 1873 from Winchester to me are still genuine Winchester 1873's.

If you, or anybody else can't understand this, not that you have to agree, I can't help you. Understanding and agreeing are not the same. I still don't understand replicar vs replica.

AL427SBF 04-13-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolsen42 (Post 1295184)
Ron,
Please, I'm begging you man, please kill this thread. I said earlier that this is just so silly, but now has turned into the most absurd posting ever. It's about people with opinions, that's all. Opinions, some of which are perverse. It's so bad that I'm actually agreeing with Evan. 142 posts (so Far), and they get more absurd with each on. Please, please Ron, kill it. My hair is hurting.

John O

Honestly, does your wife have a Winchester 1873 (continuation model, made by OEM Winchester) pointed to your head telling you to read this thread? Get a grip dude, just don't read it.

Instructions for John O: When you see the link Replica or a modern reproduction? DO NOT click your mouse button on it.

buddyg 04-13-2014 08:15 AM

We are obviously not going to change each other's minds so we will have to agree to disagree.

The real thing we all can agree on is we love Cobras and no matter which one we are driving we are lucky to do so.

Group hug!

AL427SBF 04-13-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRGEORGE077 (Post 1295189)
So why don't we start a vote on which one of all the replicas out there are the most real?::D

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/smal...finitions.html

Paul F 04-13-2014 08:23 AM

No! No group hug. I haven't finished my popcorn.

AL427SBF 04-13-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul F (Post 1295232)
No! No group hug. I haven't finished my popcorn.

hehe, buddyg finally throwing in the towel, finally realized that no matter what he believes the SAAC Registry is the final ruling on the subject and there is no higher court to appeal to.

... and I know John O is at his wits end on this, but he also had the best answer to the OP's question early on. Too bad some (and I expect few) can't embrace that simple and honest solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jolsen42 (Post 1294222)
Just tell the truth. It's not that difficult.

John O

REAL 1 04-13-2014 09:27 AM

Anthony/AL427SBF: You guys obviously get it and are correct. I do appreciate the back up. Kudos to you. However, what you need to understand there are some guys who will always contort things and show lack of respect towards what they don't own to make themselves feel better about what they do own. Its called sour grapes.

Hectoror: You started this with your feigned ignorance as to how to answer the question you started with. Since you apparently already knew the answer and have "your own opinions" why did you bother us with the question to begin with? Just stick with your opinion and run with it. Its fine with me. You don't need facts and information when you have your opinion. Can't let facts get in the way can we? :LOL:

Ned is correct. The new 2002 to 2009 are not replicas of the the original. Clearly not the same piece of art although made by the original artist (Ford). They are nevertheless real Thunderbirds but not "replicas" as Webster's defines "replicas".

Technically the Continuation Cobras are "replicas" of the original. How could they not be???? Duh? The definition is right there in Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford Collegiate Dictionary etc. etc... But with time the general public has lumped all non Shelby's that copy the "Cobra" to one degree or another the into the category of "Replica" so the technical meaning of "replica" has over time taken on another commonly used meaning as applied to these cars. SAAC recognized this. So.....they from a definitional and category standpoint as they set out working definitions for use in the world of Cobras and in it's world guide for reference i.e. in the Registry they set out clear definitions and categories to differentiate the cars.

So, if we stick to the technical Webster's dictionary, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you guys who don't own a Shelby or AC or KMP (KMP's are included due to their connection to SAI and use in the manufacture of current production Cobras and in the restoration of original Cobras)... you don't even have "replicas" according to the dictionary so I had to coin a new phrase the fit. "Fakeydoo".

Moreover, since the Continuation series does come from Shelby and since it is nearly exact to the original in most respects configuration wise it is a true replica as that term is used in the Dictionary with the heritage that comes along with it.

However, in light of the evolved common usage of the term "Replica" to include as Carroll put it all the "riff raff" SAAC differentiated the Continuation Series to separate it to avoid confusion. I didn't say "riff raff" Shelby did so keep that straight.

Problem is you guys either can't understand what I'm saying and what SAAC is saying and has done or (more troubling) do understand and continue to propagate your BS on public forum to sooth your own self consciousness about your car's perceived short comings s at our expense. That is known as sour grapes. For those unfamiliar with that adage its also known as envy/jealously.

So, you see you can't have it both ways. If you want to use technical definitions then you don't own replicas you own fakeydoos. If you want to use the Registry definitions (which I would recommend) you do own replicas but at the same time you have to acknowledge that the Continuation Series are not replicas as defined by SAAC.

So which source of definitions do you want to use?

Either way, however, whether the Continuation Series is a "replica" if using Webster's definition or not they are current production Cobras and are legitimate Cobras legally, definitionally and factually having heritage and provenance that can only come from Shelby American. This is something your "replica" (according to the Registry) or "fakeydoo" (technically) can and will never be. Sorry but that right there is the facts.

And buddyg , no I'm not going to just "agree to disagree" which would impute some legitimacy or correctness to your position. You are entitled to your own nonsensical opinion I'll grant you that but neither you or the others are entitled to the change the facts.

Remember, a "replica" technically is a copy of the original work created by the original artist or under his supervision so while it can be a copy of the original item it can still be a genuine Picasso, Peter Maxx etc.. or even a Shelby.

The important issue here is not replica or non replica. The important part here is that if it carries a CSX number it is legally and factually a genuine Cobra and its a Cobra according to SAAC. If you don't have a CSX, COB, COX or AC or KMP vin it ain't a Cobra.

Also, there is no doubt the original series Cobras are treasures and very valuable. They stopped producing those series years ago. There are only a finite number on the planet which make them very desirable.

I agree that as long as SAI is producing Continuation Cobras they will not appreciate in value substantially but do seem to hold their value well. They do carry a premium to own over a non Cobra but then as desirability increases so does price. An undeniable fact. . If the day should come where production of them ceases it is likely their values will rise substantially.
Yours, likely not.

Those of you who are not "stupid" as opposed to ignorant (no excuse to plead ignorance after you read the above) will understand. Those of you who keep harping the same dribble, ...well, only two explanations there, stupidity or envy. Which is it?

Cheers. Time to go drive the GT.

OnyxRider 04-13-2014 10:17 AM

You know I thought it was rather funny when I first joined with REAL1 and fordracing going at it.......ummmmm you guys not tired of this? Maybe the time is better spent with some volenteer work at a food bank or something guys.

Whatever you guys say it not going to change anything.

jolsen42 04-13-2014 10:41 AM

Huh, It was done tongue in cheek. I'm sorry I forgot the smiley. But thanks for the instruction on how not to read it. Gee, I never thought of that. From the owner of a "reasonable facsimile of csx 2367". :D Actually, I get a kick out of reading this . But you must agree, that it has reached the point of absurdity. :LOL:
John O

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL427SBF (Post 1295223)
Honestly, does your wife have a Winchester 1873 (continuation model, made by OEM Winchester) pointed to your head telling you to read this thread? Get a grip dude, just don't read it.

Instructions for John O: When you see the link Replica or a modern reproduction? DO NOT click your mouse button on it.

buddyg 04-13-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL427SBF (Post 1295238)
hehe, buddyg finally throwing in the towel, finally realized that no matter what he believes the SAAC Registry is the final ruling on the subject and there is no higher court to appeal to.

... and I know John O is at his wits end on this, but he also had the best answer to the OP's question early on. Too bad some (and I expect few) can't embrace that simple and honest solution.

No I didn't throw in the towel just realized that I'm not going to change your mind and your not going to change mine. SAAC doesn't mean **** to me, so I could care less what it or you or Real1 says! My car is a Cobra replica and so are CSX cars that's my opinion and that's all that matters.

Have fun!

buddyg 04-13-2014 11:11 AM

"And buddyg , no I'm not going to just "agree to disagree" which would impute some legitimacy or correctness to your position. You are entitled to your own nonsensical opinion I'll grant you that but neither you or the others are entitled to the change the facts."

Yep and you can't change the facts either your CSX is a replica of the original!

Have fun!

jhv48 04-13-2014 12:07 PM

I can see it now. A spectator and his son come up to your Csx 40-- continuation car and ask you, "is it real?"

After getting a thirty minute lecture on the differences between a replica, a continuation car and an original cobra, according to the saac registry, he'll walk away. His son will ask him, "daddy, what did that man say?" And his dad will reply, "son, he said it was a kit car!"

4pipes 04-13-2014 01:12 PM

Yep, not exactly an elevator test for "is it original".

REAL 1 04-13-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddyg (Post 1295261)
No I didn't throw in the towel just realized that I'm not going to change your mind and your not going to change mine. SAAC doesn't mean **** to me, so I could care less what it or you or Real1 says! My car is a Cobra replica and so are CSX cars that's my opinion and that's all that matters.

Have fun!

That a boy. Now we're getting to the essence of it. You don't like SAAc's definitions (although you and others immediately jumped on the Nedsel band wagon when you misread his post claiming validation) and you can't fit into the technical Webster definition so you rely on your own special little definition which means 0 to anyone else except obviously you. But hey your entitled to live on your own little world.:cool:

Yes, I concede that according to Webster's I have a Continuation series Cobra that replicates the original. A true replica using Websters definition.
I am willing to accept either definition SAAC's or Webster's. No problem. You however can't accept the FACT that you don't even own a "replica". It's a counterfeit copy of (actually being an SPF a licensed copy of).. well my Cobra as well as the original series. I'm sure that's unsettling to you but the truth can hurt.

The truth as exposed bare by your admission is the you don't like the facts so you'll live by you own definitions Webster's and SAAC be damned.

Cheers.