Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Replica or a modern reproduction? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/128455-replica-modern-reproduction.html)

hectorturer 04-05-2014 06:17 PM

Replica or a modern reproduction?

What would be the right answer to all the people that ask me when driving around? Many compliments to the car but the question always comes, is that car original? I said is an improved Shelby Cobra reproduction. The replica or kit sounds unreliable in this part of the world

Tommy 04-05-2014 07:02 PM

Call it whatever makes you feel good. We don't all have to call them the same thing.

Thor maine 04-05-2014 09:16 PM

I always say it is my HotRod that is shaped like a Cobra.

Sideways 04-05-2014 10:58 PM

They're all replicas of the originals, even the post 1967 CSX cars are replicas of the original AC's.
Proof of that is in the price!
Just how many Cobras roam the streets in PR ?

fordracing65 04-05-2014 11:43 PM

Kit cars...:jekylhyde

Dimis 04-06-2014 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hectorturer (Post 1294166)
What would be the right answer to all the people that ask me when driving around? Many compliments to the car but the question always comes, is that car original? I said is an improved Shelby Cobra reproduction. The replica or kit sounds unreliable in this part of the world

A couple of things.
1. Why don't you just call it what it is... A Superformance?
2. I'll go as far as suggesting that if your roush powered SPF is "reliable", then it barely meets the criteria for being a cobra. :LOL:

Enjoy your car...

mdross1 04-06-2014 04:31 AM

I say yes it is an original, it was originally built in my shop. Except for the CSX lineage it is better in most ways.
Realistically so many of us could never afford to have an original, I for one would be afraid to drive a CSX car like I do mine. The biggest thing is when the urge to ramp up the performance it would hurt the value, where as on the kits it adds value.
Bottom line is I own a Cobra and nothing anybody can say will ever take away that pride I have every time I climb into the cockpit, buckle up and light the fire.

indianamoon 04-06-2014 06:22 AM

What I call it....

Usually refer to mine as "just an old green ford"

buddyg 04-06-2014 06:26 AM

Usually don't say anything most people know. If they ask what it is I say Shelby Cobra if they ask if it's real or did you restore it I say it's a replica made with all new parts.

jolsen42 04-06-2014 06:28 AM

Just tell the truth. It's not that difficult.

John O

Bartruff1 04-06-2014 09:37 AM

Replica

lippy 04-06-2014 10:00 AM

I say either kit car or replica, with a big block, and I made it myself. The key is that it doesn't look like I made it myself.

LMH 04-06-2014 12:25 PM

What most are really asking is " is it an original ?". If it's not, the answer would be "no, it's a replica".
Larry

Ralphy 04-06-2014 12:50 PM

Tell em, it's a modern reproduction of a replica Shelby built. They'll walk away not knowing what the hell just happened.

Ralphy

Tommy 04-06-2014 12:51 PM

On second thought, just answer with this line direct from the Superformance web site:
"The Superformance MKIII is the only Cobra replica built under license from Carroll Shelby Licensing Inc." That's only a little bit longer than "improved Shelby Cobra reproduction." .... Or you can go with my original suggestion.

hectorturer 04-06-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 1294190)
They're all replicas of the originals, even the post 1967 CSX cars are replicas of the original AC's.
Proof of that is in the price!
Just how many Cobras roam the streets in PR ?

Superformance only 2, BD 3. So just 5 cars I think. I never had seen one driving around.

hectorturer 04-06-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralphy (Post 1294252)
Tell em, it's a modern reproduction of a replica Shelby built. They'll walk away not knowing what the hell just happened.

Ralphy

Haha lol

buddyg 04-06-2014 06:17 PM

Actually I like reproduction of a Shelby Cobra. Kit car just has such a bad name, Replica isn't bad.

REAL 1 04-06-2014 06:27 PM

After you are finished reading the self seving analysis offered here you will find the correct answers in the current SAAC Registry of Cobras & GT40s. Your car is correctly defined as a replica/kit car by SAAC. It is not Cobra but a replica of one. It's all in the SAAC Registry. No better source for authoritative information.

Buzz 04-06-2014 06:43 PM

Release the Kraken!