Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I change the oil in my Cobra at home. If I didn't, I'd pay a shop that knows what they're doing. I wouldn't trust the monkeys at a Jiffy Lube type place.

I did take my Acura 3.2TL to Jiffy Lube when I owned it. They used whatever their basic oil was with a no name filter. Drove the car for 285,000 miles. It was still running great when I traded it in.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 739
Not Ranked     

OK - FWIW I own a very nice ERA cobra and service others,...i also own and automotive shop that provides oil changes as well as full service autorepair. Our lube bay is three pits with techs working underneath and we plan for about 10 oil changes per day (approximately one per hour). We could do them a lot faster but we really want to be know for our Quality.
If you are going to do this (or anyone on this forum) - here is what you should do and know.

1) Like any good shop - they should be happy to purchase any oil you like. I stock just about every major brand. They will be happy if you let them purchase it b/c they are no doubt going loose money just doing the oil change itself. Getting the oil from their wholesaler will help them lose less money. This goes for the filter too.

2) Schedule an appointment - no one needs to be rushed when working on a speciality car. I never allow more than one "special" car in the shop at a time.

3) You should be allowed (with someone guiding you in) to pull the car in and out of the service bay - esp if the shop has a pit. YOU DON"T WANT SOMEONE driving that car into a ten foot hole in the ground.

4) Ask (and be willing to pay) a ASE "high level" tech to do the oil change - For 'special" vehciles like these - only my Master Tech performs such repairs.

I hope these pointers help - I think if you can find the right place you should be able to give up oil changes for ever.

Good Luck and PM me with any questions.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     
Default Absolutely not!!

No way! No way I would let one of those oil change joints touch my cars for two reasons: 1.) I took my daughter's Miata to EC Lube one time and they spilled oil all over the side of the engine because they were so sloppy and incompetent and then lied about filling the tires with air as two of the tires were low when I left. 2.) Our State Attorney General went after them for ripping people off on unneeded services and parts. Clearly they were ripping of consumers.

I'd soon as take one of my cars to a fast lube joint as I would...
Old 05-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

no way
Old 05-25-2014, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Jiffy Lube will not have an oil in stock that has a high enough ZDDP for solid lifters .
Patrick - Flat tappet hydraulic cams are just as much in need of high ZDDP oil as flat tappet solid lifter cams. There are variables - sometimes solid cams run higher spring pressure for more revs, but hydraulic cams don't have the acceleration ramps that solid cams have either.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance No. 1359 / 351
Not Ranked     

My local lube shop is owned by a "Car Guy" and his family. I bring my own oil and filter and he changes it for $20.00. Because he loves the car, he spends time checking out everything underneath to make sure all is good. I try to support local when I can.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Patrick - Flat tappet hydraulic cams are just as much in need of high ZDDP oil as flat tappet solid lifter cams. There are variables - sometimes solid cams run higher spring pressure for more revs, but hydraulic cams don't have the acceleration ramps that solid cams have either.
Yeah, that's probably true. But I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of somebody wiping a hydraulic flat tappet lobe.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

I knew a guy that owned a jiffy lube type place. The help there was a disaster to manage. The stories were appalling. Find a mechanic you trust at the very least. I trust no one with my oil on any of my cars.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

As long as I can lay down I'll be changing the oil in all my cars. I've seen and heard of stripped oil plugs that require being tapped oversize or the use of a self tapping plug (no thanks) or neglecting to tighten them enough, and when they back out entirely, someone is buying an engine. I can think of better ways to save a buck. How hard is it to change oil properly???
cycleguy55 likes this.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-25-2014, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never will happen for all of the above reasons and then some, such as I've always used Brad Penn Oil and Wix oil filters that you can't find at a Jiffy lube. I wouldn't even let them do the change if I supplied the materials!
When I can't do the change myself, then it's time to part ways with the Cobra.
601HP and Joey.S like this.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah, that's probably true. But I'm trying to think of the last time I heard of somebody wiping a hydraulic flat tappet lobe.
The Corvette guys (Corvette Forums) seem to do so with regularity. Must be something about Chevrolet engines.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Bray View Post
Hello everyone,
I've had my EM on the road for 12 years and I'm getting a bit lazy in my old age. I really don't get a thrill out of crawling under my car and changing the oil.
I'm considering taking it to one of the instant oil change places to have it done.
I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and what your experience was like.

your Cobra friend in Kentucky,
Roger
Come on Roger, if I can still drag my old fat ass under the damn thing a couple of times of year...

I think it's almost essential to put your eyes and hands on the bottom side...take a wrench with you and touch the bolts/nuts that hold the thing together down there, look at stuff that only a Cobra owner knows to look at...be at one with it if you will.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Come on Roger, if I can still drag my old fat ass under the damn thing a couple of times of year...

I think it's almost essential to put your eyes and hands on the bottom side...take a wrench with you and touch the bolts/nuts that hold the thing together down there, look at stuff that only a Cobra owner knows to look at...be at one with it if you will.

Jamo. you are absolutely right.
File this post under What in the world was I thinking

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hop on over to the FE forum. It happens.

A flat tappet lifter needs the correct oil, regardless of hydraulic or solid.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

My answer to the original post: Not anything I care about.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I have taken all my cars to the same place for many years. The staff has very little turnover and I trust them. That being said I change the cobra oil, the only car I do.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

As a mechanic I wouldn't let anyone work on my car. I have an oil suction pump which sucks the oil through the dipstick tube. Great for inboard motors and quick oil changes without the mess.
JD
Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Seems to me the problem is us old guys getting down and then up again!
What a great way to get a local young guy (or car girl) into these cars. I know I have a number of neighbors "young men" that would be more than willing to do the crawling/ wrenching/ pouring for me if I would let them. You could dutifully stand by and inspect their work. After a number of times, they probably would/ could do it without so careful attention and you could pay them with a test run with them as passengers!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP532, KC427FE, TWM
Not Ranked     

Uhmmm... no

What I have into my engine I could buy another minivan. Why do I want to let some kid tinker with my lifetime dream?

In addition, I like to inspect everything on the underside of the car every few months. There is nothing on these cars that is going to save your life. You might as well tip the odds in your favor by knowing that the bolts are tight, and everything is where it supposed to be.

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     

NO WAAaaaay!!

I handle claims for a living and have addressed a lot of quick lube claims.... in other states.. that have NOT gone well.

Teach a young kid how to do it.
Pay it forward for future generations!!