Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra's not driven enough

Before retiring a little over a year ago swore I would drive our Cobra a lot more,especially after finishing all the big projects I had on the plate. Well after finishing all those projects the Cobra still just sits in the back shop.

Having so little time to go around for family, friends, chill time, then all the other things the wife and I love to do together leaves no time for that incredible car. Then there is the short summer season or so it seems.

Cannot help but wonder how many of you fellow enthusiasts are in the same situation.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rain..rain..rain...that is all it has done most of the Summer this year. I try driving mine a lot, but with a 50% chance of rain every day, it gets hard.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Surely you can find 20 minutes to take it out for a short drive one day. Once you return from the drive, think about how you feel. If you feel good, do it again the next day, and again, and again.

If you return from a drive and it doesn't make you feel good, give it a few more chances. If the magic has gone, it might be time to sell it and buy something else.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think summer being so short around here has a lot to do with it. With a roadster, you can't count on nice driving weather until late April if we're lucky and by late October it's starting to get cold. There's so many other summer activities that we try to squeeze into a few months as well as outside work around the house that you really have to set aside time to enjoy your cars. I'm finding enough time to drive my big Healey, but have to admit my bugeye hasn't been out of the garage since last year.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 07-29-2014, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Easy to do, ....... just wish you could get it out for a good drive. It's now the hot summer here in AZ., 100+ temps. everyday + thunder storms not great for cruising without AC, so here is what I do.
Go to the garage, dust off the cobra, look at the engine, start it, and then go. go to breakfast, go to the doctor, go to the store...just go and have a little bit of what is called "Big Fun".
There are about 6 cobras here in town and the boys drive them, even when it's boiling hot. Good luck All!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can ship it to me and I'd more than happy to help you with that!
Larry
Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

It depends on where you live and your attitude about your Cobra. I have no qualms about taking my Cobra to the Home Depot or any other errand. I drive it all the time. Being in Maine, I would think you wouldn't be too concerned about vandalism/theft. Go have fun. Take it out anytime you are going on an errand or activity.

Last edited by Paul F; 07-29-2014 at 07:38 AM..
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

The weather this summer has stunk here in Ohio. Chance of rain every day it seems like. Since this was the first summer for me with my travel schedule, I have been limited to weekends. I am hoping for a nice cool dry fall. I have barely made it to the garage and then the rain starts. I also have to travel much with work so that negates some driving time.

Phil
Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Fixing teething problems with the car all spring. One week out of town to help my Dad. Another weekend out of town with the wife. Couple weekends rained out. And now I'm on day 13 with the creeping crud and my mind is so mushed up I don't feel it would be safe to take it for a spin. Summer is going to be over before I know it.

Oh well - we do have nice Falls in Arkansas.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

I drive when I can, to work frequently (stop and go traffic kinda sucks...) but even just looking at it in the garage warms my heart: rolling sculpture!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I'm new to the hobby so not comparable, but got my car on the road in January and have 3,700 miles already - and the weather didn't break here in PA until April... Now, I've discovered that I enjoy driving at night - just avoid the twisty back roads I seek out in the day. As for other stuff, my yard doesn't look quite as good as years past, and a couple of trees need trimming, but I don't seem to care.
JBCOBRA likes this.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Hi Kevin! I am right by Valley Forge Park. Come on over.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I've cruised through Valley Forge park several times - it's about 20 - 25 minutes away on back roads. I'll PM you my contact info.

Kevin
Old 07-29-2014, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

I used to average 4,000-5,000 miles per year on my Cobra when I first built it. I've been driving it less and less every year for the past five years. Last year was an all time low with only 254 miles on the clock. I attributed it to working a bunch of overtime, but I retired in April and so far I've put 21.2 miles on it this year. I quit riding my Harley 12 years ago because I was driving the Cobra so much. Now I'm afraid the Cobra could be joining the Harley under a cover in the garage.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Not driving is not all that bad....

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063

Last edited by G-Pete; 07-29-2014 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: forgot the picture
Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

We all get them for different reasons. Some of s like to just stare at them and fire them up a couple of times a year and take them to a show. Others like to cruise in them, and still others like to race them. Like Kevins2, I like to drive mine. Picked mine up in March and have put over 4,000 miles on it and that is with a late spring and lots of snow. To each his own.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     

Almost @ 2K so far this summer. I usually avg. about 3K per year. The new (2k as well) MT S/T street radials so far are great!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '66 Shell Valley, Original "K" Code 289
Not Ranked     

Often I just sit in my garage with a cold one and admire my '38 Chevy; Harley; Cobra; boat and my divorce decree and smile like an idiot!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Lots of good reasons to not drive them but so many more awesome reasons to drive them.

1600 miles since a very late Spring here in Michigan.
Bxx1 likes this.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

The weather and traffic are the biggest factors for me . 3/4 hour just to get out of urban traffic, stopping at lights in 95 * 70/90 % humidity is no fun. Need to get a top just to keep the sun off. In 2 yrs I still have not found any good "cobra" roads. Cobra Jeff recently moved to Fl, east coast and I see he has his cobra up for sale. Bummer.