Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Ok so I take it Kirkham swaps sides with the stamp. And mine is also stamped on the door hinges.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Davide, whatever this wonderful car turns out to be, I must say you live in the perfect region to enjoy the beast to its full potential. I used to drive over the San Bernardino- and all the other passes, always wishing for an extra 2- 300 hp...
Enjoy the beautiful car
xb-60 likes this.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...edit...

Last edited by DavideG; 10-21-2015 at 01:28 AM..
Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...edit...

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

For some reason your pictures aren't coming up on my old computer tonight but from memory it looked like a 289/302 series small block. Might have me fooled however and maybe it's a 351 windsor block. Certainly not a 428 FE big block however. A 427 FE series engine would be the most desirable with a 390/428 FE next.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavideG View Post
Little question about the engine:
You have told me that in the pictures there is a small block V8.
On the car Swiss Title there is written 7.000cc engine with 428 kW / 580 bhp.
Is it possible that a small block has that cubage and that power?
On a 427 replica, what's the best engine choice to have a perfect (and marketable) replica?
It is possible to bore and stroke a small block ford engine to 427 cu/7 liters and develop that kind of horse power, but isn't it more likely that your paperwork is just not correct in yet another way.

If your car turns out to really be a 1996 Kirkham that has an inaccurate title indicating that the car is from 1961 for the purpose of getting it registered in Switzerland, then perhaps the car may not really be properly and legally registered. And that might limit the countries in Europe that you could legally get the car registered in when you try to sell it.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Davide: The engine you have pictured is a Ford 260/302 engine, max displacement that I am aware of is 347 cu in. Next size up would be the 351 cu in ,also a small block with higher deck and wider intake. These can be bored and stroked to 427 cu in with an aftermarket block. A true 427 would be the correct engine for the car, and a costly change from what you have. I can understand why someone would put a small block in a car for europe due to the cost of gas and maybe gas-guzzler taxes ?
Is My estimate of current value ($75-80k US) close to what you have in it? If you wanted to put in a different engine you might lose money . Sell it as is and let the new owner put in what he wants.

Ted
Old 10-03-2014, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...edit...
NOS-EDDIE likes this.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...edit...

Last edited by DavideG; 10-21-2015 at 01:29 AM..
Old 10-03-2014, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can't tell from the photo's but the engine could be a 351W, which could be bored and stroked to 427 cubic inches. So while the displacement could match, it's not an FE block.
Larry
Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...edit...

Old 10-03-2014, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...edit...
Hrdayz likes this.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
On CobraClub Forum they suggested me to see the tv show "Pawn Stars" season 2 episode 2, because there is a Shelby Cobra '65 and they show where is stamped the chassis number if it is an original one.

Since I cannot see it on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oeDEU8uNKQ due to Youtube Italian restriction, a friend of mine looked for it on Torrent and he found it.
I have edited it in order to reduce the show only to Cobra part. Here it is if you want to download it (I will remove it in a couple of days): VIDEO

It seems to be that our consolle is not strange, but it is only naked. Look at the body and chassis in the video, and look at our central consolle. It seems to be the same, so maybe our consolle it's only a naked one?
The Pawn Stars car was not an original (65-67 era) Cobra - but was a continuation Cobra by Carroll Shelby. I don't study it enough to keep all the details straight but Kirkham has been heavily involved with the Shelby continuation series at various times. Kirkhams are even included in the Shelby Registry. So that it looks very similar to your car is not unexpected as I think everyone is 90% sure you have an early Kirkham. Some more pictures of the suspension and frame would cement the conclusion. The console is definately different but wouldn't be all that hard to do (or reverse to stock) as it's just aluminum sheet metal and rivets.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thank you very much Larry, I will do more photos of the engine in order to understand what we have.

Is there any chance to know if it is a pumped small block instead of a original one? Only dyno power test or there are some external details that can reveal it?
You would have to measure the block deck height from the crank centerline to determine for sure that it's a 289/302 block or a 351 block. Mearsuring overall width at the valve covers could also determine which it is. Pretty sure it's a 289/302. After that you would have to pull the engine apart and measure the bore and crank stroke to determine if it's stock displacement or something larger. Do you have any means of contact with prior owners? They might be able to provide more details or even an engine build spec sheet.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

The pawn stars cobra episode was a bunch of fiction as discussed here earlier...

Pawn Stars Kirkham ?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...edit...

Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I work with California vehicle titles daily. I believe this one to be false. It doesn't have the correct border, watermark or other distinguishing features. Be careful.
As far as the car it is primarily Kirkham.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-03-2014, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

...edit...

Last edited by DavideG; 10-21-2015 at 01:30 AM..
Old 10-03-2014, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Hello again Davide:
the california title showing the car as a 1961 Bristol is false, but this was commonly done as one way to register a custom built car (non-comforming to smog and crash test requirements) before sb100. It is still an option in some cases, but looked upon in some states as fraud. I don't know when sb100 was initiated,so it may not have been an option in 1996/7.
However, the swiss reg shows the car as a FORD 427 COBRA.
427 Cobras did not exist prior to 1965, so the 1961 Bristol assertion is bogus.

The engine is almost certainly in the 260/302 family, and has been lightly modified outwardly with a 4 barrel carb and manifold. What lies inside is anybodies guess.
If it was bored and stroked to 347 cubes and using a conservative factor of 1 hp/cu ",
you have approximaitly 350 HP. 1.5 hp/cu" would yield 525 hp.

How about driving it to Poland, to the Mig plant where the Kirkham bodies and frame are built ?
Old 10-03-2014, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you can find the chassis number stamped on the frame, we might be able to find out more info on the car if it was listed in the Cobra Registry. Not all cars are but it's a shot.
Larry