17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Bernica,
What diameter tube is your roll bar? It looks like 1 3/4" like mine and I've been looking for trim rings like those for mine and struck out. May have to machine my own if I can't find a source.....

Bob
Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
Bernica,
What diameter tube is your roll bar? It looks like 1 3/4" like mine and I've been looking for trim rings like those for mine and struck out. May have to machine my own if I can't find a source.....

Bob
I believe I got them from Finishline. It's been many years. I will check on diameter, but I believe it's 1-3/4". It's a CSX 4000 car. I can tell you that fastening the rear escutcheon was quite a chore to get it right.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I think you'll find it's a 1-1/2".
Old 12-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
I think you'll find it's a 1-1/2".
There you are you little sneak, we know you are watching!
How about spending some key board time and man up to your BS Mate!

Scott
Old 12-17-2014, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I believe I got them from Finishline. It's been many years. I will check on diameter, but I believe it's 1-3/4". It's a CSX 4000 car. I can tell you that fastening the rear escutcheon was quite a chore to get it right.

Thanks, if it is a CSX 4000, it is 99% sure these are 1 1/2" roll bars. Thanks anyway.

Bob
Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
The rear brace hole is the evil one!
Which probably explains why the real ones don't even bother with a bezel/escutcheon at all. I suppose drilling two overlapping holes to create that elongated portion has some pucker factor to it.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Would it be worth making a pattern and cutting with a panel cutter on a router?
Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

One of these might work to land the proper oblong hole on the body. They come in different pipe sizes.

Instructions | PipeMaster™ - The Welder's Tool for Contour Fits
Old 12-18-2014, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pretty neat tool! I bought a tubing notcher and it works great! It's also good for drilling a hole through the center of a tube or pipe if needed. Money well spent in my case.
Larry
Old 12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post

A suggestion you may try is to cut some pieces of 1 1/4" EMT in the approximate lengths for the back brace and try to trial fit the pieces together to see where all the pieces will end up to make it all fit.

Bob
Good idea - you could even do it with PVC pipe of appropriate diameter. Just substitute 90 deg elbows and a short piece up top for the hoop portion.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N.A.F., 351 cleveland, 9" ford
Not Ranked     

I read through the thread but must have missed it. What is the measurement between the hoop uprights?

Thanks Paul
Old 12-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

12"on center
Old 12-19-2014, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Shelby Cobra View Post
Higher Single Bar - Olthoff Racing
Dennis sells a higher roll bar!
TN Shelby,

Back in 2002, I put the olthoff roll bar onto SPF #1118. The purpose was not to change the look, but to pass the broomstick test for VIR track day. Here are a couple of photos of the rollbar that TN Shelby is referencing. It actually highlights the bad points of the spf rollbar position IMO.

TN Shelby Cobra likes this.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
...the Olthoff roll bar...actually highlights the bad points of the SPF rollbar position IMO.
From a purely aesthetics viewpoint I couldn't agree with you more. Sent you a PM, too.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yup, my wife thinks I'm crazy (she's actually right) but the look of the car would be soooo much different with the modified rollbar. I looked up the olthoff tall rollbar spec, interesting that you can go up to 2.75 inches taller and still fit under the convertible top. the extension leg obviously will not, but you can easily make the cut out in the platic window like the tonneu cover does it do go around the roll bar upgrights. As for getting it done without requiring body work? yaahahh, thought about using a flat steel shap 1.5 inches wide, weld the extension leg on a mitered edge to the plate, and then connect the undertrunk segment pipe up through the existing hole to meet the flat plate steel. I could get the flat steel to look pretty, maybe even polish it and coat the underside with silicone (let it dry) and then reconnect. But, plugging that hole and spraying the back half of the car, shouldn't be too too bad.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

So if the SPF roll bar is slightly over 12" o.c. how do you make an original sized roll bar fit? Use the method described by Bill D, take a hydraulic jack and force it wider? I am not at all concerned about the top fitting or the tonneau cover... it's never been on the car, and I don't expect it to be in my lifetime... the next owner can worry about that if it is a problem. What I would also like to know is the distance from the hoop to the opening in the body.
Bob
Old 12-20-2014, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I dont yet know if the width is the same but would assume that i can cut and weld in place as necessary to accomdate a slight difference in width. I was thinking about getting a tube notcher to get a tight fit on the extension leg stub but found a local guy that will cut a scallop in the end tube for $75. I am awaiting an estimate from my body shop to plug the hole and reshoot the rear section. I will be taking lots of pics. I think I'm the first guy in the forum to do this, and I've never seen any spf car with a properly positioned roll bar. I hope to have it done this week or next. A little scared but what the hell.
ACademic likes this.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayboy View Post
So if the SPF roll bar is slightly over 12" o.c. how do you make an original sized roll bar fit? Use the method described by Bill D, take a hydraulic jack and force it wider? I am not at all concerned about the top fitting or the tonneau cover... it's never been on the car, and I don't expect it to be in my lifetime... the next owner can worry about that if it is a problem. What I would also like to know is the distance from the hoop to the opening in the body.
Bob
Hi Bob,

If you really want to get accurate dimensions, I would go down to the Sacramento Auto museum. They have an original 427 SC on display that I'd bet they would let you take some measurements from. The times that I've been in there, they seem to be pretty laid back and that Cobra is a survivor (not a pristine specimen) so I wouldn't think they would be paranoid about you getting a finger print on it .

Ted
Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Ted,
That is a great idea. For some reason, the thought had never crossed my mind. I need to go there with an angle gauge and a dressmakers fabric tape measure. Thanks for the tip.
Bob
ACademic likes this.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayboy View Post
Ted,
That is a great idea. For some reason, the thought had never crossed my mind. I need to go there with an angle gauge and a dressmakers fabric tape measure. Thanks for the tip.
Bob
Bob,

If you decide that you want to do that some time and think you could use an extra hand, let me know. Be glad to go with you.

Ted