Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2015, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     
Default 428fe, or 427fe, which one do you prefer? Please no other engines, thanks.

I know there are all kinds of engines you can put into your Cobra, but I want to hear specifically from those who have either or the FE's listed above.

I have a 428fe in my SV Cobra, and usually I can't get a car home before either tearing into the existing engine, or altogether swapping it out.

But, this 428 engine is so much fun I doubt I will go to the trouble to do anything [mostly stock 428PI engine with Eld intake, and iron heads].

On the other end of the scale I have a 540fe tunnelport supercharged engine I built in a 67 Mustang of course it has way more hp/tq, but its way more temperamental than the stockish 428. The 428fe in the Cobra is just way more fun. [also, the TKO600, 5 speed helps with all of that low end torque].

Here is the 540fe.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:55 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

If you are happy with the 428, then keep it. You can make it do pretty much everything a 427FE will do and you wouldn't know the difference except in your wallet. There are plenty of folks here running 428 FE's and happy with them. And there are plenty of original Cobras that came with them as well.
BTW, nice tunnel port!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

For an original iron block FE, not a new-fangled aftermarket block, a nice, unmolested, 428, with the additional webbing in the crank saddle, is awfully hard to beat. No sleeves, no overheating, stroke and bore it to your heart's content... it's definitely the way to go.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:38 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
For an original iron block FE, not a new-fangled aftermarket block, a nice, unmolested, 428, with the additional webbing in the crank saddle, is awfully hard to beat. No sleeves, no overheating, stroke and bore it to your heart's content... it's definitely the way to go.
Listen to Patrick on this one. He knows the 428's.
Just don't let him pick your cam or roll bars!
That one was for you Patrick!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'd choose the Big Block Chevy. Was that a choice? Ooops!

Although it's not quite a real FE, I'd leave the 428 in the Cobra. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Thor maine likes this.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

What's the mustang motor make on a dyno, or what mph has it run at the drags? Looks impressive!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

429..if you've got it. Keep it. Same with the 427. The only difference would.be if you are racing. Otherwise they sound and look the same. The 428 will deliver more torque and more HP than you will ever need for street driving and its a lot easier on the wallet. Besides. In the 427 Cobra the 428 is original factory equipment. More cobras had 428s in them than had 427s.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 01-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

What's one CI amongst friends? Spend your money on T-Clamps.

Last edited by Cashburn; 01-23-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

428 all the way for street driving
Old 01-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ford build the 428 for street cars and trucks.
4.13" bore and 3.98" stroke. Lots of low end torque but out of steam about 5500 rpms.

The 427 was a high rpm race motor. 4.23" bore and 3.78" stroke. Made it's power in the high rpm range. By 1965 Ford had a 427 that could turn 7500 rpms for 24 hours. That won races for them.

Different motors but pretty much the same block.

Dwight
Old 01-24-2015, 01:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I have had a 427 Tunnel Port with two huge Holleys, a 427 with dual fours and my 69 Cobra came with the 428 SCJ Cobra engine in it and it is as fast up to 100 MPH as any of the other two were. I liked the 427 in the Galaxie, didn't like the 427 Tunnel Port and traded it for A 390 high performance engine, but all around I like the 428 Cobra engine the best. It dynoed out at just 440 horse but will run with most engines around here.

Ron
Derald Rice likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-24-2015, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Engine blocks are benign - don't really have a personality. It's all about how they are prepared, what's stuffed inside them and how they are operated. A well prepared 428 and a well prepared 427 with comparable heads, intakes, exhaust and internals will pretty much operate indistinguishable from each other. Due to the stroke and bore relationships there may be minute differences but you almost would need an engine dyno to see them.

Only when you start stuffing in 13:1 pistons, 250+ degree - .700 lift cams, single plane intakes and start twisting them north of 6500 rpm and higher is the difference going to show up - probably with the 428 block grenading at some point (but 427 blocks apparently are not immune from that either considering all of them with holed skirts).

The answer is in how you plan to build the engine and how you intend to use it. That and at least another $3,000.

My 3 cents (inflation)
Old 01-24-2015, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I have driven cobras with 427's and 428's in them. ON the street you really will not know the difference. Currently I have a 428 and there is all sorts of torque. Absolutely no stall if you touch the gas at any speed in any gear. If you already have the 428, go with it and save yourself some money. The car will find other ways to gobble up what spare change you have in your pocket.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

mtrain2000:

My summarization of the above comments: The 428 has a bit more grunt at low RPM and at higher revs will run out of breath before the 427. So, the 428 is probably a bit better for street and autocross, with the 427 better for high RPM track use.

As others have pointed out the differences aren't significant, so unless you're planning to spend a lot of time at the track I'd stay with the 428, especially as it sounds like it's well built, well sorted and jolly good fun as is. Save your money and spend it elsewhere - like that '67 Mustang!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The 428 can do whatever the 427 can do. The length of stroke has nothing to do with how high it can rev, low end grunt, or how much hp it can make. Those are all common misconceptions and wives' tales. The only plus of the 427 is the oiling design and the bore size, which allows for larger valves without them being shrouded.

Otherwise, tell the 428 guys running NHRA SS that their engines can't turn 8000+ rpm and make 800 hp.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:17 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I have owned both an FE428 and currently for the past 14 years an FE427SO.

The performance of both are nearly indistinguishable in street usage IMHO in normal usuage. Both provide gobs of torque for a 2400 lb car and rev great.

The FE428PI was standard fare in 427 street cars with some street cars also receiving the 427SO.

The SC and Comp 427 got the 427SO only and as such the 427SO is the "brass ring" for Cobras because of its higher performance potentials, stronger block, cross bolt mains, higher nickel content block etc.... It is also the rarer motor.

Both are great and will be "correct" for a street 427. If you are a stickler for details and aesthetics you will need a 427SO for a comp or SC.

From above to naked eye with the hood open both are indistinguishable from each other. You need to get underneath to confirm whether its a SO by the ribbing and crossbolts.

A well done 427SO will easily cost you a good 1/3 more than a 428.

Whether it's worth it to go for the SO is a individual choice based on many factors.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

And as has been said before in this thread, the car will find plenty of ways to spend your money without messing with the engine. Trust us all on that!
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A good read Building Ford Strokers Engines: Make Most of a Windsor Block
Old 01-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Q. How do you make the most of a Windsor?

A. Sell it.

Bernica likes this.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Q. How do you make the most of a Windsor?

A. Sell it.

It certainly is a seller's market