Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark IV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 FIA ERA
Not Ranked     
Default Register Cobra in NJ (Car came from CT)

Need some help.. just purchased ERA Cobra. Car was titled in Connecticut and I need to transfer title and register car in NJ. CT title has VIN Number, Year (1998), Make (ERACO), Model (COBRA), Style (CONVT), Cyl. (08), New/Used (New), etc. so I was assuming I would just register and be good to go. I was also assuming that car would not need to be inspected. After some preliminary research my understanding is that it will need to be inspected regularly and QQ plates are not an option.

I understand I cannot go the Collector Car Voucher route because Kit Cars are excluded. Does this means I need to go the “Central Office” route and call Trenton for a “Special Vehicle Title” packet and go into Constructor Vehicle process?? Was hoping I can just register car and move on. Will I also need to get a special inspections done prior to registering the car?

I am calling DMV tomorrow, but before I call.. had some questions..

1. Do I need to go the “Constructor Vehicle” route if I already have a valid title from CT, or is there any way to get the car registered without this process AND still have no requirement for emissions test.

2. Can I bypass the physical pre-inspection since I have a valid title from CT?

3. Do I need receipts or any information from original build, since car was already titled in CT?

4. Do I need add catalytic converter to pass emissions if car was built in 1998? During my research I see that if engine block is cast prior to 1978, I am OK? Is there any leeway with newer blocks.. not sure what year my block is.

5. Is there a way to get the car “Emissions Exempt”?

6. What information should I “not” volunteer when speaking with DMV

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

suds
Old 02-01-2015, 04:49 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Search for MrMustang and his "how to" on here. Bill has posted several times on how to register in NJ.
TN Shelby Cobra likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Since the car is already titled in CT, you should be able to simply transfer the title and get plates as you would with any other car. The Reconstructed Vehicle route is only for new builds that don't already have a title. Your real problem is going to come when it is time for the annual inspection. As you noted, NJ eliminated the Collector Vehicle registration for kit cars a number of years ago. So, unless Mr Mustang has some details on recent changes to the NJ registration/inspection rules that I am not aware of, I think what you are going to have is a 1998 car that is subject to 1998 inspection requirements, including cats. It is possible to go to one of the three main state vehicle inspection stations that are located throughout the state, let them verify the year of the block and give you an "engine letter" that states the engine is X year and, for emissions purposes, the car should be tested again X year's standards (I did this when I registered my ERA). You need to check the date code on your block. If it is pre-1974, you are only required to have a PCV valve and no cats are required. If it is 1974 or later, cats are required. Short of doing that, I would get plates, bring it to a local garage that does inspections and see if they can get it to pass notwithstanding the lack of cats, which may or may not be possible depending on your camshaft, etc.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanx for the info! I will plan on registering as standard vehicle.

I pick up the car Saturday and was planning to look for the engine code. I believe it is behind the starter (302 motor), so I am not sure how easy it will be to see. I am hoping it is an older block, but we will see.

Is there a process to get the "engine letter"? Do I need to complete any special paperwork?

From the sounds of it.. the car has a very mild cam.

If I need to add cats.. is there even any room to add them? I am assuming O2 sensors are not required.

suds
Old 02-02-2015, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

good luck Suds! I think there should be an engine code towards the firewall on the block if i remember correctly. otherwise, you will have to remove the starter and it is there. Hope yours is pre-74 - makes for alot less headaches. I built mine so had to go thru Trenton and special titling. I took it to a DMV site to inspect and failed emissions (mine was a pre-74, but running rich), took it over to a local shop and he did the re-inspection and got my window sticker. (I am in Warren, NJ...)
Old 03-03-2015, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How did you make out.....are they making you go through the whole new construction safety inspection or enhanced emissions only?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrudis View Post
How did you make out.....are they making you go through the whole new construction safety inspection or enhanced emissions only?
He is still in process, with a little "guidance" he is now on the right track.

Bill S.

PS: Rule of thumb is to follow the basics, and not try to reinvent the wheel, I'll leave it at that.

PSS: In NJ, you can no longer register a kit car for QQ, Historic, or Collectors registration. NJ has closed the loopholes...

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-04-2015, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill.. Yes.. Thanx for the help.. much appreciated. I am going to private inspection station as soon as possible. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

BTW.. took the car out this past Sunday (before snow) and last weekend, with my daughter. We had to bundle up in down jackets to say warm, but it was worth it. Can't wait until its warm

(Jon) I sent you some details of my process in PM

suds
Old 05-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know this is an old thread but I’m nearing the end of my build it’s a Lonestar kit I’ve had it for some time but the time has come to finish it and finally get it on the road so with fingers crossed I hope to have it on the road sometime this summer So now my attention has shifted toward getting the vehicle titled and more importantly figuring out how to get pass emissions I have ordered the kit car registration package from NJ DMV now it’s got me thinking I’m installing a fully built Ls3 416ci with a pair of gt35 turbos space is going to limited ...? If I’m understanding this correctly I’m gonna have to somehow install cats so that it passes emission right? What can I expect as far as to prepare for this whole process any recommendations
Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

I bought my ERA from Rhode Island and registered in NJ - it was a while ago but I recall going to local DMV twice and trying to charm the people there. It got done with a little bit of grief; it got registered as a 1966 Ford Cobra if memory serves (got it reregistered in North Carolina).