LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Interested Newbie - Seeking Advice on Ownership

Hello all!

I am a long time Cobra and Cobra replica fan. Owning one has long been on my bucket list. I have seen many threads on which kit is best, which engine combos is best, etc. etc. My question is less specific to the kit, (although I have plenty of questions there), but more about ownership in general.

I currently own a 1967 Mustang Fastback S-Code. It is a numbers matching car that is in very good shape, therefore I would think it has some value. The reason I bring this up is because I could use it as seed money for a replica purchase.

Here is my initial over arching question, and I realize the question is too general to nail down but....generally speaking, what is it like to own/drive one of these cars? Can there be a reasonable expectation of reliability, comfort, performance, practicality, etc? Is it terrible once the trip goes past 100 miles, or is it a cross country type ride? In between? I realize the quality of the kit and the build is a major factor. I am not out for all out speed or performance. I want a build that feels like a well built car, not like a cobbled together concoction that barely passes the requirements. I think that pretty much any drivetrain will perform beyond my ability to drive it, so I would not be seeking a full blown stroker FE build. I would be looking at either a mild FE, or perhaps one of Ford's crate 427 Windsor engines.....not the hotter one, the milder dual plane version. That would have MORE than enough performance for me. I would also want an OD tranny and EFI, but not a high end MPFI, probably something like the MSD Atomic EFI. I've always had a liking for the Superformance cars, but I'm not sure my budget can support that. Factory Five is high on my list as well, but I'm not sure that with my skills I could achieve the build quality I'm after.

Anyhow, I realize my questions are very general, and probably repeated a million times. I did search this and several other forums. Most newbie discussions are about one kit versus another. I'm not there yet. I just want to know if the loss of my Fastback would be worth the gain on the other end.

Thank you!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     

The limiting factor on driving the car long distance is the weather. With no top rain and cold make a drive less than enjoyable. I drive mine around a 40 mile loop and usually go out for an hour at a time. Reliability was shaky at first but after you work through some initial issue it seems to require less care. I currently have a corvette and a backdraft cobra and use the vette for the long overnight trips and keep the cobra for fun day rides. They are a blast and it is the funniest car to drive as of yet.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     
Smile

Keep the fastback.

Take a trip to the London car show next month. There, you will know if youre a cobra guy or not.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A Cobra is not for you.
The answer to all these question is NO NO NO NO - Can there be a reasonable expectation of reliability, comfort, performance, practicality, etc?

I would argue they are not as practical as a motorcyle. They are all junk when compared to even a 1973 AMC Gremlin or Pinto. Even with a top you are getting WET and from what I have seen they deteroriate in the rain pretty quick.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

You might want to check out the 90 minute video 'Bitten by the Snake' by Jim Colman. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCVhU894SDI[/ame]

Some of the manufacturer references aren't valid any longer as this was produced in 1999 and a lot has changed since the video was produced.

It's probably worth looking at the used market (including the For Sale section on CC) to see what's out there, rather than starting from scratch with a new build. OTOH, if you're keen on something unique, then a new build will get you there - albeit at a higher price tag and a longer wait time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
Hello all!

I am a long time Cobra and Cobra replica fan. Owning one has long been on my bucket list. I have seen many threads on which kit is best, which engine combos is best, etc. etc. My question is less specific to the kit, (although I have plenty of questions there), but more about ownership in general.

I currently own a 1967 Mustang Fastback S-Code. It is a numbers matching car that is in very good shape, therefore I would think it has some value. The reason I bring this up is because I could use it as seed money for a replica purchase.

Here is my initial over arching question, and I realize the question is too general to nail down but....generally speaking, what is it like to own/drive one of these cars? Can there be a reasonable expectation of reliability, comfort, performance, practicality, etc? Is it terrible once the trip goes past 100 miles, or is it a cross country type ride? In between? I realize the quality of the kit and the build is a major factor. I am not out for all out speed or performance. I want a build that feels like a well built car, not like a cobbled together concoction that barely passes the requirements. I think that pretty much any drivetrain will perform beyond my ability to drive it, so I would not be seeking a full blown stroker FE build. I would be looking at either a mild FE, or perhaps one of Ford's crate 427 Windsor engines.....not the hotter one, the milder dual plane version. That would have MORE than enough performance for me. I would also want an OD tranny and EFI, but not a high end MPFI, probably something like the MSD Atomic EFI. I've always had a liking for the Superformance cars, but I'm not sure my budget can support that. Factory Five is high on my list as well, but I'm not sure that with my skills I could achieve the build quality I'm after.

Anyhow, I realize my questions are very general, and probably repeated a million times. I did search this and several other forums. Most newbie discussions are about one kit versus another. I'm not there yet. I just want to know if the loss of my Fastback would be worth the gain on the other end.

Thank you!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
Hello all!

Thank you!
I'm 30 and I just purchased my first cobra which is a Superformance that was local in town. There is probably a significant age gap between us but I don't that matters too much if we have the same common interest. This was the exact car that I wanted.....has a 427 Windsor. So far I have replaced the carb and taken it to a dyno to have it tuned. I plan on driving it much more than the previous owner and there are a few things that have popped up that I need to get sorted. Overall I'm extremely happy with the car and could not imagine owning anything else or having the desire to drive anything else. I feel like I am in a race car its just such a raw car and allows you to experience motoring like no other vehicle I have been in. I don't think you can go wrong with Superformance, the later Backdraft cars or a Factory Five that a reputable builder has commissioned. I find my car to be very comfortable but if I was doing long road trips or was driving thousands of miles I could see going to a Coyote motor or a milder version of the small block. Since I have had my car dyno tuned it runs like a fuel injected car.....I think a carb is pretty hard to beat when properly tuned. My advice is to go to the London show and take a look around at all the cars. I went with the Superformance because it was local to me and I knew that if I bought it and found out I wasn't a "cobra" guy that it would be easier to resell than many other cars. I think if you currently have a 67 mustang and enjoy it then this would be an easy transition as far as the technology goes.....If you were going from a 2014 ZR1 corvette it may be something you wouldn't care for. I can't think of anything else more fun to driver or cruise in. Have you ever had motorcycles? If so I find it to be very similar to my past motorcycle days. I don't look at the car as a chore to have to go take a spin in....I seem to keep finding ways to make time to go drive it. I would look at used cars as there are a lot on the market and there I no sense in spending top dollar for a new build for your first car unless the depreciation doesn't bother you. I wanted to spend my time driving at not building.....I have tons of respect for guys that build their own cars but it doesn't interest me. If I had the down time I could see where it would be rewarding but building a car would take me forever and I did not want to go through those trial and tribulations.

Last edited by Ace23; 05-21-2015 at 12:02 PM..
Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Here is my initial over arching question, and I realize the question is too general to nail down but....generally speaking,

Q:what is it like to own/drive one of these cars?
A: You will be accosted at every stop by people who want to know what kind of Mustang it is. Learn about the cars and have a general response ready. Some will know what a Cobra is and ask if it is "Real" - meaning is it original. Have a canned response ready there too. Mose people are satisfied with a simple yes or no like answer and getting into more detail can stretch your gas fill time from a minute or two to much longer.

Q: Can there be a reasonable expectation of reliability, comfort, performance, practicality, etc?
A: The answer needs to be considered in the correct era. Remember it is a 60's car. So expect 60's style reliability. It's also a race car at heart, and race cars don't have a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. I would expect a newer Cobra engine to actually be better than your Mustang since the new engine components, even though they are time-correct, are machined to much higher tolerances.

Q: Is it terrible once the trip goes past 100 miles, or is it a cross country type ride? In between?
A: That will depend on your own a** and back. There is no cruise control, but there isn't on the Mustang either. However, the seat position is relatively fixed and I think the seats were stiff. I could do a drive from Lyons to Colorado Springs (about 100+- miles) without any discomfort. But you'll be forced to a stretching break every 300 or so miles to get gas.

Q: I realize the quality of the kit and the build is a major factor. I am not out for all out speed or performance. I want a build that feels like a well built car, not like a cobbled together concoction that barely passes the requirements. I think that pretty much any drivetrain will perform beyond my ability to drive it, so I would not be seeking a full blown stroker FE build. I would be looking at either a mild FE, or perhaps one of Ford's crate 427 Windsor engines.....not the hotter one, the milder dual plane version. That would have MORE than enough performance for me. I would also want an OD tranny and EFI, but not a high end MPFI, probably something like the MSD Atomic EFI. I've always had a liking for the Superformance cars, but I'm not sure my budget can support that. Factory Five is high on my list as well, but I'm not sure that with my skills I could achieve the build quality I'm after.
A: So all of this is really power train preferences and personal choice items. Some of them will affect reliability, e.g., there are good and bad EFI systems. Educate yourself before buying a completed car and before building one of your own.

Q: Anyhow, I realize my questions are very general, and probably repeated a million times. I did search this and several other forums. Most newbie discussions are about one kit versus another. I'm not there yet. I just want to know if the loss of my Fastback would be worth the gain on the other end.
A: I suggest you just start reading here. There are thousands of topics to review, and hundreds on almost any sub question you may have, e.g., EFI.

You didn't ask about how it is to drive one. They are the twichiest things on wheels. Everyone wants monstrous HP so the HP:weight and accompanying torque mean you can break wheels loose in a straight line in almost any gear. There is nothing between you and that light pole except a thin layer of aluminum (probably not in your car) or fiberglass. Be careful and I would suggest a really good track prep class so you know how to get out of that oversteer spin that WILL happen when you least expect it.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

An example of opportunities that come up periodically - a 351 powered SPF Cobra in the $40s: Documenting my Cobra search
Old 05-21-2015, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Ride comfort is dependent upon the suspension set up - IRS is definitely more comfortable - and how the seat is set up. These are small cars. Park one in your garage and you will think the garage has somehow grown in size. If you are short to medium height you will fit fine. If you are tall or heavy, how you sit and fit in the car will depend on the manufacturer and how the seat is mounted. How the pedals are mounted can also affect comfort.

If you haven't had a convertible before, it is definitely a unique and pleasurable experience - as long as the weather cooperates. I have a top and side curtains for my ERA and it's pretty cozy in the winter, but you wouldn't like it if you are claustrophobic. Probably 98% of these have side pipes and between them and wind noise - they are loud. Make no mistake about that. That may be as much a limiting factor as to how far you want to travel in one as anything else.

My ERA rides very well. It's very solid - much more so than the English roadsters I rode in years ago. Much more so than the pre-1963 Corvettes I've ridden in. I'm one of the 2% with undercar exhaust and it makes for a bit tamer ride, but I have a 427 side pipe Corvette with a big cam for when I want to be rowdy. Obviously, most people on here rely on their Cobra replica when they feel like being a bit rowdy.

Reliability on a fairly well sorted car shouldn't be much different from you Mustang. Most of the technology is pretty much the same unless you install fuel injection. It helps if you are able and willing to do some of your own work on the car.

Your best bet is to find a club or attend a show and see if you can manage to get a ride in one to see how you like it.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison West Coast
Not Ranked     

I don't post much on here as I am enjoying my Cobra but 2BJSHELBYS has it right. The first 2 guys...I don't think they even own a cobra based on what they said so I would discount that feedback. I like these threads because we were all "new" at some time. I would not trade it for the world. I love driving it. I can go all day with the 250-300 mile stops for gas, stretch and go again. It is different than a modern car, that's the whole point. Don't show off, respect the power, learn how to drive the one you get, learn how to do some basic repairs, get a AAA unlimited tow plan just in case and go have some fun. It is loud, it is windy, it is dangerous and you wont be able to wipe the smile off your face and get the bugs out of your hair.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison West Coast
Not Ranked     

Sorry, I was talking about New York Guy and Madmaxx feedback, not genolan
Old 05-21-2015, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Q:Here is my initial over arching question, and I realize the question is too general to nail down but....generally speaking, what is it like to own/drive one of these cars?

A: I just bought my ERA from a gent a little over a year ago and it has been awesome. I never had a convertible before and its just amazing when the sun is shining.

Q: Can there be a reasonable expectation of reliability, comfort, performance, practicality, etc?

A: Yes, but depends somewhat on what you build. I have a 427 pushed to 468 CID and have had no engine issues except for a starter.

Q: Is it terrible once the trip goes past 100 miles, or is it a cross country type ride? In between?

A: I have not had any discomfort except for the sweat on my back with the leather black seats. I like to get in at least 50-100 miles when I have been out. I will take some longer trips this summer.

If its sunny and above freezing, I often go out.

Phil
Old 05-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

go to the London Cobra Show

and ride in one

London Cobra Show June 26 - 27th 2015 | Ohio Cobra Club
Old 05-21-2015, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow! Awesome response.... I wasn't expecting this! Amazing....

So, I left work and came straight to a concert with my wife, so I am a little distracted. I will jump back in when I get home, I am very excited for this discussion!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Alright, so I have now read all of the responses, and many good points! I don't think I would have a problem with the lack of features. While I have modern vehicles, my primary daily driver is a Jeep. If I were to get into a Cobra, I most certainly would NOT be using it as a daily driver, but....I would like it to be reliable enough and solid enough from a build quality standpoint that I could drive it every day without fear of it degrading faster than any other car. I don't need it to be the fastest car on the road, so I would definitely keep it strong, but reasonable, which is why I mentioned the 427 Windsor. I like the idea that the extra cubes would give it a very strong feel throughout the gears without having to work too hard. I am definitely interested in the S/C look, so that means side pipes. I absolutely prefer side pipes on a Cobra, but what about the exhaust sound? Will I have to wear ear plugs on a long trip so my ears don't ring? Or, what about the steering? Are there power steering options? What about wipers, heater, defroster? WHile I am fine with a simple car with little to no thrills, there's no doubt these features would improve the driving experience. And then there's the driving itself....I am about 5'11" and about 185 lbs, so I'm hoping I would fit ok. I realize they are short and light....so yes, I am very curious about how they drive and handle. I would absolutely be willing to take a driving course, if for any other reason, to learn how to keep it safely between the lines. I don't plan on racing one, but if I would like to know where my own as well as the car's boundaries are, so a course would help there as well

So many questions, and so much more research to do. I am nowhere near close to buying one time wise. But, I want to continue my research now to help me make a decision. I guess I want to make sure the "having is not so great as the wanting."

Anyhow, I'm really appreciative of all of the great responses! I

Last edited by Agar426; 05-21-2015 at 11:14 PM..
Old 05-22-2015, 01:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I don't agree at all with a few of the responses you received. I had my first Cobra for almost 12 years and had just a few minor problems with it and I raced it so it was driven hard. I never drove it on any real long trips and when going to the track would stop at rest stops and stretch my legs.

I now have a Coupe and it is a pleasure to drive and cruise in and it is also a track car with complete roll cage, fire suppression system, and other upgrades. If it had a larger gas tank I wouldn't be afraid to start out cross country in it.

Just remember that the build quality is what makes or breaks one of these cars. If it is cobbled together then you will have problems.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-22-2015, 05:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I'm 5' 10" 170 lbs
I build my car so I could drive it on long trips. The longest are to the London Cobra show, 535 miles one way. Getting stopped on the interstate on a 90 - 95 degree day is tough.
I had extra padding installed in my seat for comfort.
I love my Cobra.

Hodge bought a Cobra in Chicago and drove it to Birmingham, Al. He took a couple of days to make the trip. He has a bad back and the seat was a big problem. The first thing he did was have the seat changed. It took three times to get the padding and angel to suit him.

Another friend bought a rough Cobra and the first month drove it to southern Florida from Nashville Tenn. Yes it rained. He drove that car everywhere and loved it.

My longest drive in the rain was a return trip from the LCS 310 miles of the 535 mile trip. Not bad, I have hole drilled in the floor, all holes into the interior are sealed. Water runs off the windshield onto the door and then my knee. I keep four beach towels behind the seat to use in the rain. The rain blows over the windshield and onto the back of your head. If you wear a hooded jacket you will stay drier. Oh yea, the back of the windshield gets as wet as the front so don't forget to RainX it. My car has a heater and defroster.

Cobras are different and not for everyone, but you may not know till you own and drive one it it's a car for you.

Dwight
Old 05-22-2015, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

At 5'10" you should be able to work out a good seating position in most cars. Sometimes it involves removing the adjustable seat tracks and going with a fixed seat position. At your height you probably will be OK in most cars, in most seats and even with adjustable tracks. Kind of depends on the length of the upper torso. But the good thing is that there is quite a bit that can be done to customize the seating position to your needs.

I have not taken a long highway drive in my car but I think ear plugs would be a good idea if you care anything about maintaining your hearing as you get older. Actually, it's not all about the sidepipe noise - but also the wind noise. The wind and traffic noise on the left ear for the driver on the highway (opposite for passenger) can be pretty loud at speed.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Another thing about the 427 cobras, especially with the 427 or larger engine.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to do the engine justice in casual driving. You simply can't give it enough RPM to "clear the cobwebs". My engine at highway speeds always felt underutilized. Sure you can go around at 6000RPM in 3rd gear but that's not the purpose.

If I were to do another Cobra (which is possible after I sell the GT) it would be a 289 class car with a smaller engine so you can run it closer to the top end.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347, Massflow inj, 65 GT350 tribute
Not Ranked     

IMHO a small block stroker, and not necessarily to 427in, is the way to go.
For me, there's no sweeter sound than a high revving small block cruising down the road at 3800-4000 RPM(.8 fifth). After the pipes get blown out, it's just a different car! I did that cross country twice from Az to Spring Fling and had the time of my life...even going through a toad strangler in Colo.

Now at 68 getting in and out is more of a challenge but like I told Marilyn, when I die just put some coffin handles on the sides and plant me in it!

Mike