26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xb-60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Default Healey 100 with BB Olds....and Cobra-like nose

Some might have seen this on spookypt's Period Transporter (Aus) Suggestions thread.

There is a link there to "the green Goddess" (a fire truck) and in there, there's a link to "Tom Schnerk's Big Block Oldsmobile Powered 1954 Austin Healey 100", a car which some of you CA residents may know.

"Date Completed: Engine installed in 1957. Body mods in 1964. Restored in 2000"....so this thing pre-dates the 260 Cobra by a number of years

Here's the link:

Tom Schnerk's Big Block Oldsmobile Powered 1954 Austin Healey 100

And here's a quickie of what it looks like...

Body mods were done in 1964, with some inspiration in the nose from the Cobra ....although it looks more 427-like in the nose opening than 289

Cheers,
Glen
LoBelly likes this.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is personally one of my favorite V8 Healeys. I talk by email with Tom every once in a while and he's an old school hot rodder. Just like the guys Shelby enlisted for the Cobra. One of his hot rodding tricks was to weld pie shaped iron plate behind the 48 spoke wire wheels to get them to take the torque of that big-block Olds.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 08-09-2015, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick - was the nose shape (what looks like a Cobra 427 opening) done in 1964, pre-dating the 427 Cobra? It's an impressive - and quite historical - hotrod!

Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-09-2015, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Glen,

Here's a more detailed account of Tom's car and the nose mod: OldsmobileHealey Looks like the 427's had been introduced before the mod was done. Don't know if you saw this, but there's some more Healey tie-in with the 427 Cobra: 427 Cobra - The Austin-Healey Connection

Old 08-09-2015, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great information and a good read. Thanks Rick.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-10-2015, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

As soon as I read the subject line, I knew you'd be all over this Rick!
I'm also a bit partial to a V8 Healey and I can appreciate the history of this car, but I really like the unmodified body shape of the Healeys. I'd argue that the big Healeys are a better looking car than the CSX2000 Cobras.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
I'm also a bit partial to a V8 Healey and I can appreciate the history of this car, but I really like the unmodified body shape of the Healeys. I'd argue that the big Healeys are a better looking car than the CSX2000 Cobras.
I agree Craig. Who can criticize the intent and the execution, but I personally prefer the standard Healey 100 nose.

Rick - I've always thought an SBF in an MGA would be a good idea. Has this act of b@stardry ever been done to your knowledge ?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-10-2015, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen, let me clarify that I was talking about CSX2... slab side street cars; the FIA and comp cars have that tougher muscular look

V8 conversions are always a laugh. That Britishv8.org site is a classic!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sure do see the 427 Cobra cues in this car. Back in the day also considered doing a V8 swap into an MG till I discovered the fiberglass replica kits. Also back then looked at a small block Cobra that had been driven year round up here in the Northeast. Seeing the aluminum to frame interface severe corrosion along the frame rails sure was a wakeup call. It was then that I learned how bad is was to have aluminum and steel together.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
Sure do see the 427 Cobra cues in this car. Back in the day also considered doing a V8 swap into an MG till I discovered the fiberglass replica kits. Also back then looked at a small block Cobra that had been driven year round up here in the Northeast. Seeing the aluminum to frame interface severe corrosion along the frame rails sure was a wakeup call. It was then that I learned how bad is was to have aluminum and steel together.
It's surprising how many people still think "aluminium....it doesn't rust" Well no, it doesn't, but it sure does corrode!
If you have a small amount of steel in contact with a large mass of aluminium...all is probably OK, but reverse that, and your small amount of aluminium is a fast corroding sacrificial anode! The difference in their potential difference is quite large. Make that magnesium and steel, and stand back and watch the Mg disappear!

Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Glen, let me clarify that I was talking about CSX2... slab side street cars; the FIA and comp cars have that tougher muscular look

V8 conversions are always a laugh. That Britishv8.org site is a classic!
Understood, Craig. The Healeys are definitely good lookers, but personally I still slightly prefer the Cobra 289 roadsters (the curves, and particularly the interiors) and yep, the 289 Comp and FIA cars sure do it for me!

The Rover (ex-Buick) all alloy V8 was a natural choice for the MGB, but I've always wondered how well a 289 would suit an MGA. Not much heavier than the 1500/1600/Twin Cam and way more powerful. The MG has a better base suspension design than the Cobra too (I would argue that the MGA's rear end is a better setup than the CSX2xxx cars' rear end, and the front suspension design on the MG is definitely better).

I still don't know if the swap's ever been done....

Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 08-10-2015 at 04:20 AM..
Old 08-10-2015, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Neat car - like it's looks. That's a pretty serious engine set back. I wonder if he can pull the distributor or if it's there until the engine comes out? Must make setting points interesting. Probably a good case for a points conversion kit.

Last edited by DanEC; 08-10-2015 at 05:53 AM..
Old 08-10-2015, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
They both, along with Jaguar, share that long hood short rear deck that give them a look like they are going to leap forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
I agree Craig. Who can criticize the intent and the execution, but I personally prefer the standard Healey 100 nose.

Rick - I've always thought an SBF in an MGA would be a good idea. Has this act of b@stardry ever been done to your knowledge ?

Cheers,
Glen
Like Cobras, Healeys with V8s suffer from cooling problems. I'm sure Tom's Cobra nose had a lot to do with trying to keep the big block cool rather than a styling statement. There are a couple of SBF-MGA swaps here: MGB V8 and V6 Photo Gallery - plus MG Midget, MGA, MGC, RV8 and ZT sports cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
Healeys have a similar aluminum-steel problems where the steel fenders join up with the aluminum shrouds.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Healey 3000 with a 289 Ford..... 5spd
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Another shot of this great car!
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2015, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Shared this thread with Tom Schnerk. aka "Tom Tork". He asked me to post this:

"Interesting.The Olds Healey keeps cropping up in the car forums. My engine swap of ’57 at age 22 and the body mods of ’64 at age 29 and the period restoration of ’00 at age 65 are well documented. Now, at age 80, I am wondering if this Olds Healey is becoming my apparent legacy, much like Obamacare is Obama’s legacy? (sic). If so, I guess I have no problem with this…….TomTork ps: google " olds healey " "

Last edited by HealeyRick; 08-11-2015 at 08:00 PM..
Old 08-11-2015, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wonder if anyone has owned an Austin Healey for longer than Tom?
One of Dad's (Donunder) friends has owned his BN1 since his 18th birthday in 1968, but ownership since 1957 is amazing!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
Shared this thread with Tom Schnerk. aks "Tom Tork". He asked me to post this:

"Interesting.The Olds Healey keeps cropping up in the car forums. My engine swap of ’57 at age 22 and the body mods of ’64 at age 29 and the period restoration of ’00 at age 65 are well documented. Now, at age 80, I am wondering if this Olds Healey is becoming my apparent legacy, much like Obamacare is Obama’s legacy? (sic). If so, I guess I have no problem with this…….TomTork ps: google " olds healey " "
Rick,
Please pass it on to "Tom Tork" that it is definitely his legacy, but as impressive and individual as it is, I have no doubt that it is only one of his legacies.

Cheers,
Glen