• 1 Post By MaSnaka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Drag Racing

I am in SE Michigan. I went to Lapeer Dragway Saturday and was unable to run.
1.) I did not have arm restraints (my fault), it was not on their webpage.
2.) If I ran faster than 13.99 I needed a 6 point roll cage. My dual roll bars would not pass muster.

Does Milan run under different rules? I saw some times posted on the website from there. Is there a SE Michigan track I can run at?
It is not a drag car but I'd like to take a few passes.

What is everyone's experience with this?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Full roll cage for faster than a 13.99 - wow, that's seems ridiculous. That probably eliminates 1/4 of cars produced today if driven by a fairly competent driver - not just muscle cars but everyday 4-door sports sedans. That means I couldn't run my 03 Lightning or my 12 Mustang GT, much less my ERA.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Full roll cage for faster than a 13.99 - wow, that's seems ridiculous. That probably eliminates 1/4 of cars produced today if driven by a fairly competent driver - not just muscle cars but everyday 4-door sports sedans. That means I couldn't run my 03 Lightning or my 12 Mustang GT, much less my ERA.
Sorry I should have been more specific. For open cars, no roof.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

Open cockpit cars without mega roll cages are pretty much restricted to outlaw tracks generally speaking. Your experience may vary by type of event, who techs your car, who your friends with, which way the wind is blowing etc. Bottom line they want to keep the sport going and people getting hurt or killed won't get it.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by keezling View Post
Open cockpit cars without mega roll cages are pretty much restricted to outlaw tracks generally speaking. Your experience may vary by type of event, who techs your car, who your friends with, which way the wind is blowing etc. Bottom line they want to keep the sport going and people getting hurt or killed won't get it.
yes, what was said above and if the track runs under NHRA rules, don't even bother going within 10 miles of the track........lol........they "might" let you in the spectator parking lot and that's about it.......

Sorry not much help,but if you want to make a few passes, your best bet is a test-n-tune day at a non-sanctioned track.....

David
Old 09-09-2015, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What are you looking for?

Detroit Bill, What are you looking for? The time you will run in the 1/4 mile? About 11.20's in the 118-126 mph. This depends on traction and getting out of the hole time. With out slicks a good 482 motor will smoke the tires if a 3,000 rpm clutch drop is done. You leaving at about 1,600 rpms will give you this time average. I don't know if you have a solid rearend or Jag rearend, but Jags don't like holeshots. If the rearend starts hopping get out of it. These cars average from 9.80's to 12.8. seconds and anywhere from 108 mph to 142.0 mph. Just be careful of the justa6 guy. The cars a sleeper. Rick L. Ps I have a 6 point cage and hate dragracing the car with a jag rearend was never designed for this. Smallblock car ok, BB car without a solid rearend, not good. I got through out of e-town for life for running under 12.5 with out a full cage and mine is 6 point and 3" over my helmet. It's all about safety. too many people have been hurt and even killed for this. I can count the number of cars damaged hitting the walls. A little side note on this, most insurance companies for car and your body are not covered if accident happens racing( any type, autocross, drag racing, road racing, street racing if ticketed) Becareful.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
Sorry I should have been more specific. For open cars, no roof.
Oh - I probably should have known that. Haven't been to the 1/4 mile track in more years than I care to remember.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
1.) I did not have arm restraints (my fault), it was not on their webpage.
2.) If I ran faster than 13.99 I needed a 6 point roll cage. My dual roll bars would not pass muster.
Pretty consistent with what I had years ago with my Shelbe GT/SC convertible.

1. They didn't make me do that
2. I ran 13.6 and they made me get a fire suit and helmet, and told me not to go under 13.0 or I would be excused from the track (or I would have to have a full roll cage). Not to worry, my first run was my best since the track start gummed up. I was the third car that day and had a good grip, but after that couldn't hook up the street tires.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

But you can ride your Nitro powered motorcycle without seat belts in 6 second passes. Something I don't quite understand the logic of. But I do appreciate safety first.

John
Detroit Bill likes this.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
Detroit Bill, What are you looking for? The time you will run in the 1/4 mile? About 11.20's in the 118-126 mph. This depends on traction and getting out of the hole time. With out slicks a good 482 motor will smoke the tires if a 3,000 rpm clutch drop is done. You leaving at about 1,600 rpms will give you this time average. I don't know if you have a solid rearend or Jag rearend, but Jags don't like holeshots. If the rearend starts hopping get out of it. These cars average from 9.80's to 12.8. seconds and anywhere from 108 mph to 142.0 mph. Just be careful of the justa6 guy. The cars a sleeper. Rick L. Ps I have a 6 point cage and hate dragracing the car with a jag rearend was never designed for this. Smallblock car ok, BB car without a solid rearend, not good. I got through out of e-town for life for running under 12.5 with out a full cage and mine is 6 point and 3" over my helmet. It's all about safety. too many people have been hurt and even killed for this. I can count the number of cars damaged hitting the walls. A little side note on this, most insurance companies for car and your body are not covered if accident happens racing( any type, autocross, drag racing, road racing, street racing if ticketed) Becareful.
Yea I want to take the car down a times 1/4 mile.
It is a superformance so it is an independent rear.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post
But you can ride your Nitro powered motorcycle without seat belts in 6 second passes. Something I don't quite understand the logic of. But I do appreciate safety first.

John
Or a 9 second snowmobile is just fine according to tech, what a joke.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaSnaka View Post

John
The difference is the rider is generally separated from the bike if something bad happens. In a car there's a risk it will be upside down with the driver trapped underneath.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CLASSIC ROADSTERS
Not Ranked     

http://www.milandragway.com/track-rules
Here's a link to Milan Dragway for a quick breakdown on their rules and for NHRA.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Bill - Watch the Milan schedule and try to make the "No ET Nationals". You will need a helmet and belts to make a pass. A bit pricey but for these events (usually once a month), you can make a pass in just about anything.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building Mk4 Sold - Factory Five Mk. 3.1
Not Ranked     

As you probably saw, they do test and tune nights on Wednesday through the summer. I went one time and had a helmet and arm restraints. I was under 13 seconds. No one said a word to me. I found many issues with the car when pressed as hard as it was. Haven't been back since I've upgraded everything. Be safe.

Scott