Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I was wondering where he was. Especially since a new mushroom just sprouted on the site on this same subject!

I for one would like to just get back to identifying parts, seeing fixes and learning from this site. I see no one helped or learn anything here on this thread or the other one.

My 2c
Sandbox. Build it and they will come.
Just leave it in the sandbox.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
The Scientist in me compels me to add my viewpoints to this discussion.

There is always lot's of back and forth; between replica owners and CSX owners, and between CSX/MKIV/SPF/K/FFR/ERA owners and the general public/car show spectators; and it all orbits around the term "real".

Real? Really? How many times has the word "real" been tossed out in this thread alone?

"Is it real?"

When this question is asked, the inquirer is actually asking: "Is your car an authentic, genuine 1962-1967 Shelby Cobra with an aluminum body, and a CSX2x or CSX3x serial number?"

- However, most people are not adroit enough about Cobras (nor the english language, for that matter) to frame their question in such non-ambiguous terms (This aspect of humanity's linguistic laziness, or ignorance, is why Lawyers thrive... )

Because let's face it: If they are asking, then what they are probably wondering about is:

A) Whether your car has a racing or other significant historical background to it, and

B) They are probably concurrently wondering if you happen to be one of those mythical "rich people", who live in some alternate dimension where spending 400k+ dollars on an automobile is as "normal" as running down to the local Home Depot to purchase a new lawn mower is, for them...

To the pragmatic question "Is your Shelby Cobra real?", there is only one valid binary response: Yes, or No.... It either has a CSX2x/CSX3x serial number, or it doesn't...

Or, it could have a COB or COX serial number and be rightly called an "AC Cobra"

It all boils down to questions of authenticity, and genuine-ness.

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there about the term "real" being used to differentiate something that ALL of our cars qualify as... They're all real.

Are they all Genuine? Sure - Some are Genuine and authentic 1960-something Shelby Cobras, a few are "asterisked" as Shelby "Continuation" cars, which still makes them "genuine" as Shelby's, but still not nearly as "authentic" as a CSX2x or CSX3x car; some cars are genuine COB/COX AC Cobras, some are genuine AC/Autokraft Mark IV's (I concur that the case could be made that the AC/Autokraft Mark IV is also a replica, since it exhibits the body contours that were designed into the "original" Cobras by Shelby, not by AC)

All the rest are genuine "Kit Cars" (Sorry to offend all you Aluminum Kirkham guys, and ditto to all you "Carrol Shelby endorsed" SPF guys- Your cars are kits, according to the US EPA and the legal system... )

The Blowhards will argue about Shelby endorsements, fiberglass versus aluminum bodies , round tube versus square tube, and all other manner of "Blah Blah Blah" in an attempt to alter your OBSERVATION of what their car REALLY is... It's still a kit.

Kit Car: - An incomplete, or partially assembled automotive chassis & body assembly, lacking a powertrain, and unable to leave the factory of manufacture under it's own power; and therefore not illustrative of the term: "Automobile"

Whether your Kit car left it's factory as a "complete rolling assembly", or whether it arrived at your house as boxes of parts- It was incomplete until someone installed a powertrain, wired it up, and make it go "vroom" for the first time.

Carrol Shelby's endorsement of your car does not make it any less of a kit - Not a single genuine, authentic Shelby Cobra was ever built in either Utah, or South Africa.

Ahhhh... and about that term: "Kit car" - We all know that in the actual world, many people at car shows lean on that term as a perjorative, as if your car were sitting on a plywood and 2x4 "chassis", and could come apart into a heap of scrap at any moment, and that you, as the owner of such obviously synthetic, Cobra wannabe garbage, are clearly a 2nd-rate Poser.

I refuse to descend into discussions born out of hubristic class-segregation and who's better than whom, based on the cars that they own

Or, maybe they toss it about as if your car is a "counterfeit" Shelby Cobra (a viewpoint not legally shared by the US Patent and Trademark Office, since the matter was legally discussed, and legally settled, in 2010; and Shelby, unfortunately, lost) - See the excerpt of the legal ruling in the posts above.

When people ask me "Is it a kit?" My canned response is "It's a Classic Roadsters car, yes" and if they are interested, I then take the opportunity to explain the dimensional differences, the chassis engineering differences, and why the deeper foot-wells, and the lower cost of ownership, appeal to me, etc...

So, you can have your "reality" (as defined by Shelby, and the US legal system) - But only as long as you respect my right to exist in my reality, where I enjoy my fake, fiberglass, 2nd rate, middle class, wannabe poser car, in peace...
Actually Shelby only lost the trade dress issue and won on the trade mark issues.

"Authentic" isn't limited to the original series. Depends what group you are talking about and discussing. You have authentic original Shelby Cobras and you have authentic continuation Shelby Cobras. Not hard to understand.

You have authentic original Ford GTs (GT40s). You have authentic '05/06 Ford GTs. You have authentic '69/70 Boss 302 Mustangs. You have authentic '012/'013 Boss 302 Mustangs.

Easy to understand (or so I thought).

Again the "kit" issue and the "replica" issue is a red herring to me and irrelevant to my analysis as to the Continuation Shelby Cobras which is a very simple analysis.

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-22-2015 at 01:24 PM..
Old 09-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Sandbox. Build it and they will come.
Just leave it in the sandbox.
Yup, totally agree. Even tag it as Original Shelby Debate or something....
Old 09-22-2015, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
I agree 100% with your post in #161. Please tell me, where have I called people names on a personal basis? Please show me. Love to know.

BTW have you by any chance others name calling here? Just maybe a little? Maybe. They get a pass eh? Douche, clown and the like don't qualify I guess.

BTW have you seen post #174. . Need I say more.

Again, a shining example of seeing only what you want to see.

Par for the course around here.

And we're back to the playground.
I don't know about you guys, but just watching UNREAL1 dance and dodge (thrust and parry) is worth the price of admission. His responses rarely address the questions and his attempts at diversion and to elicit emotion are even more entertaining. Fortunately, most of us don't take the bait and let him divert us to whatever point he thinks he needs to make.

The key to dealing with him is to keep poking him with the same ole stick and watch him dance. As long as you keep poking, he will continue to dance for you. Don't get sucked in by his rhetoric. And never let him make you feel defensive. That's his fall-back position. He's only doing it to divert from whatever issue he can't answer at the moment. When you have the need to always be right and to have the last word, provoking him is child's play.
Have you guys ever watched the "Housewives of New Joisey"? I wonder which husband he is?

Thoroughly entertaining.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
And we're back to the playground.
I don't know about you guys, but just watching UNREAL1 dance and dodge (thrust and parry) is worth the price of admission. His responses rarely address the questions and his attempts at diversion and to elicit emotion are even more entertaining. Fortunately, most of us don't take the bait and let him divert us to whatever point he thinks he needs to make.

The key to dealing with him is to keep poking him with the same ole stick and watch him dance. As long as you keep poking, he will continue to dance for you. Don't get sucked in by his rhetoric. And never let him make you feel defensive. That's his fall-back position. He's only doing it to divert from whatever issue he can't answer at the moment. When you have the need to always be right and to have the last word, provoking him is child's play.
Have you guys ever watched the "Housewives of New Joisey"? I wonder which husband he is?

Thoroughly entertaining.
Hmmm, just who is sucking who in?

Your post clearly documents your inability to comprehend. You've got a lot of company here though.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I agree 100% with your post in #161.

BTW have you seen post #174. . Need I say more.
Yet you still feel the need to.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hmmm, just who is sucking who in?

Your post clearly documents your inability to comprehend. You've got a lot of company here though.
I love how you keep proving my points without even knowing it. I guess you've been this way for so long that it's become second nature. Que lastima!
Old 09-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I love how you keep proving my points without even knowing it. I guess you've been this way for so long that it's become second nature. Que lastima!
Ditto. What's your license plate read again..? Wait...427SNK I think. Yes that's it. Its really not though is it (same with many others such as Cycleguys 66COBRA and many others here) and that's what all this frustration, anger and envy is about isn't it? Que lastima

You'll need a Shelby to honestly display that plate bucko.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You have authentic original Ford GTs (GT40s). You have authentic '05/06 Ford GTs. You have authentic '69/70 Boss 302 Mustangs. You have authentic '012/'013 Boss 302 Mustangs.

Again the "kit" issue and the "replica" issue is a red herring to me and irrelevant to my analysis as to the Continuation Shelby Cobras which is a very simple analysis.
You can call it a red herring. I call it a KEY differentiating and critical point.

Of the cars you own, there's only one that is/was not legally sold in the US as a completed car (aka KIT car) and the only one that attempts to replicate or clone (see Dolly The Sheep) an original. The Shelby Cobra Replica.

As you stated, there's no argument that it's a true replica. No argument. Ned Scudder, the SAAC Cobra Registrar, and one of the leading experts on the 1960's Shelby Cobras, said your car is a REPLICA. The others are not kits nor replicas.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

So lets bring this snake in for a landing. We all agree that the AC-Shelby -Ford Cobra's built in the 1960's are the original, authentic, genuine, real, Cobra's. Ok then we all agree that the Shelby Cobra that is made from the 1990's to present (And this is also true for AC Cars LTD Heritage different dates) are authentic, Real 1 , replica -kit cars (they have to be no motor, no drive train, no safety certification) and that they are made by a derivative of only one of the three company's AC-Shelby-Ford that made the original Cobra in the 1960's. Now we can debate what a Kit Car is from a Volkswagen to a Cobra to a Lamborghini but any car that cannot be sold with an engine or drive train in various state of completion, with no crash testing or emission testing, that my good men is a KIT CAR and there is no debate on that. BOOM DONE
Old 09-22-2015, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ditto. What's your license plate read again..? Wait...427SNK I think. Yes that's it. Its really not though is it (same with many others such as Cycleguys 66COBRA and many others here) and that's what all this frustration, anger and envy is about isn't it? Que lastima

You'll need a Shelby to honestly display that plate bucko.
Once again he can't respond to the points raised so he attacks and attempts to divert to a subject of his choosing. Once again trying to draw me into a defensive posture. Unfortunately, for him, I control this conversation. He dances to my tune. He just hasn't figured it out yet. His amateurish attempts to draw me out will continue to fail and cause him much frustration. But I will give him this, he tries hard. But then second place always does. And he hates it when he is either laughed at, or placated. To him, the fight and winning is everything.

And that is his weakness. You can't win if the other party refuses to play with you. And that, students of human behavior, is how you handle guys like REEL1.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:58 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
You can call it a red herring. I call it a KEY differentiating and critical point.

Of the cars you own, there's only one that is/was not legally sold in the US as a completed car (aka KIT car) and the only one that attempts to replicate or clone (see Dolly The Sheep) an original. The Shelby Cobra Replica.

As you stated, there's no argument that it's a true replica. No argument. Ned Scudder, the SAAC Cobra Registrar, and one of the leading experts on the 1960's Shelby Cobras, said your car is a REPLICA. The others are not kits nor replicas.
Uh, Okaaay. That's your analysis. Your entitled to think whatever you want. Not trying to change your mind or convince you.

No argument on the replica issue. It must replicate the original if it is going to be a Shelby Cobra Continuation series Cobra. By its very nature.

No argument on the "kit" issue technically since they were sold in kit form. Not sure if they still are.

Doesn't change the bottom line for me which is the crucial issue for me.

While the FGT isn't replicating the original per say it is a car which follows its form. It is a genuine true Ford GT just as the original series Ford GT. Same with the Boss. Only difference with the Shelby is that it clones or near exactly replicates the original again to be a continuation of the original car. Irrelevant to me as to the essence of what the car is. Same as to "kit". Again the original cars would be considered "kits" today if being produced as they were back then. No different than the SPF.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Once again he can't respond to the points raised so he attacks and attempts to divert to a subject of his choosing. Once again trying to draw me into a defensive posture. Unfortunately, for him, I control this conversation. He dances to my tune. He just hasn't figured it out yet. His amateurish attempts to draw me out will continue to fail and cause him much frustration. But I will give him this, he tries hard. But then second place always does. And he hates it when he is either laughed at, or placated. To him, the fight and winning is everything.

And that is his weakness. You can't win if the other party refuses to play with you. And that, students of human behavior, is how you handle guys like REEL1.
Yes, you control this conversation totally. Yes, I dance to your tune. I won't attempt to adjust my set. I have lost all control under your genius.

Yes, I have failed to cogently and rationally and factually respond to anything.

Hey, this must be the Outer Limits!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8CtjhWhw2I8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is truly comical.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Uh, Okaaay. That's your analysis. Your entitled to think whatever you want. Not trying to change your mind or convince you.

No argument on the replica issue. It must replicate the original if it is going to be a Shelby Cobra Continuation series Cobra. By its very nature.

No argument on the "kit" issue technically since they were sold in kit form. Not sure if they still are.

Doesn't change the bottom line for me which is the crucial issue for me.

While the FGT isn't replicating the original per say it is a car which follows its form. It is a genuine true Ford GT just as the original series Ford GT. Same with the Boss. Only difference with the Shelby is that it clones or near exactly replicates the original again to be a continuation of the original car. Irrelevant to me as to the essence of what the car is. Same as to "kit". Again the original cars would be considered "kits" today if being produced as they were back then. No different than the SPF.

However, I'm not a Shelby historian, but I believe the original 1960's Cobras could be purchased from a dealer, 100% complete, with a warranty and driven off the dealer's car lot, with title, registration and tags forthcoming in the mail.

That's not the case for the modern Shelby replica. Either you hire a private shop or you do the work yourself to complete the rest of the car post sale. And the Shelby Cobra replica cannot be titled and registered in CA without one of 500 exemptions each year because the car doesn't meet current safety and emissions requirements for 2015. That wasn't the case for the 1960's era Shelby Cobras.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, you control this conversation totally. Yes, I dance to your tune. I won't attempt to adjust my set. I have lost all control under your genius.

Yes, I have failed to cogently and rationally and factually respond to anything.
There, now that wasn't so hard was it?

You may go back outside and play with the others now.

Good boy!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:

"Authentic" isn't limited to the original series. Depends what group you are talking about and discussing. You have authentic original Shelby Cobras and you have authentic continuation Shelby Cobras. Not hard to understand.
So considering your own assessments, taken in aggregate:

1: Agreeing that your continuation car is a replica, and now
2: Assessing your continuation car to be authentic

By collaboration of your own arguments, you thereby own an "authentic replica"... Exactly like every Factory Five owner on this forum....

Quote:

Easy to understand (or so I thought).
Yes.... Probably easy for a Lawyer to understand; but I'm an Engineer, and a car-guy.

By the application of your same logic (That legal branding and trademarking is what defines the authenticity, or the "essence" of the automobile in question), you would imply that the Holden Commodore, which Bob Lutz brought over to the US and started selling in 2004, was in fact, an authentic Pontiac GTO...

Which it was NOT.... Not then. Not now. Not EVER.

Every "Authentic and genuine" Shelby Cobra was built and sold in the 1960's. You can debate that point all you like... but you can not replace canonical history, with legal interpretation.

All the legal posturing, all the condescending rolleyes smileys, and all the New Jersey dick-swinging, does not re-define basic realities.

and Reality Number One, is that your car is much a "Real 1" as every Factory Five car is...

Oh, and Here- Right back atcha....
Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
So considering your own assessments, taken in aggregate:

1: Agreeing that your continuation car is a replica, and now
2: Assessing your continuation car to be authentic

By collaboration of your own arguments, you thereby own an "authentic replica"... Exactly like every Factory Five owner on this forum....

Yes.... Probably easy for a Lawyer to understand; but I'm an Engineer, and a car-guy.

By the application of your same logic (That legal branding and trademarking is what defines the authenticity, or the "essence" of the automobile in question), you would imply that the Holden Commodore, which Bob Lutz brought over to the US and started selling in 2004, was in fact, an authentic Pontiac GTO...

Which it was NOT.... Not then. Not now. Not EVER.

Every "Authentic and genuine" Shelby Cobra was built and sold in the 1960's. You can debate that point all you like... but you can not replace canonical history, with legal interpretation.

All the legal posturing, all the condescending rolleyes smileys, and all the New Jersey dick-swinging, does not re-define basic realities.

and Reality Number One, is that your car is much a "Real 1" as every Factory Five car is...

Oh, and Here- Right back atcha....
Damn! A new kid in the playground! This is going to get good!
You can bet your last spinner that REALJUAN is typing his response as we sleep.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You can bet your last spinner that REALJUAN is typing his response as we sleep.
Without question... After only reading his responses to these two threads today, I can gather (with a measurable degree of certainty) that he is also a "last word" kind of guy.

Too bad I will probably miss his response - He's already on my ignore list (10 years dealing with similar egos on digitalcorvettes.com trained me to use the ignore feature to its fullest capability)

So, hopefully his reply/retort will at least provide entertainment for everyone else.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

So we can agree that guy's who have a Shelby CSX 4--- and above (like Real-1) have a 1/3 authentic ,genuine replica kit car of a 1960's AC-Shelby-Ford Cobra. Because without AC Cars Ltd and Ford and not being able to buy a complete car what you have is a Kit Car made by a modern day derivative of 1/3 of the company's that made the original. Hhhmmm, 1/3 authentic replica kit car, I guess you can take that to the bank?????
moore_rb likes this.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

No need for this to remain open...go to the sticky thread at the top of the page to continue this discussion.