LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Not to give you a complex or anything, but there is a vast network of folks that observe and report on every damn thing you post.
So, in other words, you're saying that Evan is on "double secret probation." And you're Dean Vernon Wormer.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Nobody will even bother to correct him, as he is a blowhard, and anyone that spends more than 2 minutes with him realizes it immediately.

Most people see through this particular owners claims, but I'll bet 10% do not.
There are blowhards in almost every segment of society. Cobra ownership isn't immune.

For me, when I take my Kirkham out, I always tell people that my Cobra is an original Cobra and the telltale sign is that replicas are made of fiberglass and originals are made of aluminum. And as an original, my Cobra is listed in the Shelby World Registry.

Simple as that.

Anyway, back to the subject of blowhards.....
Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
So, in other words, you're saying that Evan is on "double secret probation." And you're Dean Vernon Wormer.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/ep-xgd_eETE"

My response.

Delta forever!

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-17-2015 at 10:33 AM..
Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I see I might get a second bag of popcorn for this thread.

The humor is, I drove into work today in my cobra and was amazed how many did not know what it is.

Tru
Old 09-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Technically challenged = ramming a screw driver through the oil filter to get it off.
Stupid = ramming a screw driver through the oil filter to get it on.
And then there was this one time, when I was changing the oil and filter, and somehow, after leaving the garage for a few minutes with the oil draining, I came back to my garage with the garage floor looking as if I had reenacted the Exxon Valdez disaster.

Those drain pans are REALLY difficult to line-up with the drain hole for the ENTIRE duration of the oil draining completely out of the pan.

Ahh, the memories of the technically-challenged. So, that's how I learned NOT to change my oil anymore. Checking my oil hasn't proved to be a challenge yet though. So, I still do that.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The best part of this addiction is hanging with like minded enthusiasts with no need to compete. The worst part is hanging with like minded enthusiasts that feel the need to compete. "My car is better than your car because:"

We have been enjoying the Cruise In circuit this summer and occasional car show it has been incredible. There are some truly talented people and more than happy to talk about their pride and joys.

Looks like we are going let our two seater go time for a new hot rod. This time mother will be in control of the interior and exterior, already have a start on the running gear.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

Hey! To you Animal house fans, I live in Eugene Oregon. The Dexter Lake Club is alive and well as is down town Cottage Grove where the parade was filmed. The 'Grove hosts a nice car cruise thru downtown. Had a Cop ride shotgun this year and says he's soon ordering a FFR. Alas, the Delta house was torn down years ago. Sad...
Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I haven't added to my original post before now because I was satisfied with the way I said it the first time. But I realize now that in my attempt to not offend anyone, I was not as direct as I might have been. So I'm going to restate my opinion in a slightly different way.

If a guy wants to tell me that he thinks Car A is better than Car B because he likes the color better, or he prefers a big block engine, or he doesn't like 17" wheels, or the resale on Car A is better, or any of a thousand other specific reasons, I will be happy to listen and consider his opinion. But if he knows so little about cars that his only reason for thinking Car A is better than Car B is because of their brands, then I don't think his opinion is worth hearing. If you chose a big brand Cobra replica because you didn't feel competent to evaluate the components and quality of construction of individual cars, then why should your opinion about which car is better carry any weight? .... Now I'm not saying or implying that everyone who bought a big name Cobra replica did so because they were uninformed. I am confident that is not the case. I'm just saying that claiming Brand A is universally better than Brand B is no way to make your case to me whether those brands are Superformance, Kirkham, FFR, BDR, ERA, Ford, Chevy, Buick, Dodge or Kia.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
I haven't added to my original post before now because I was satisfied with the way I said it the first time. But I realize now that in my attempt to not offend anyone, I was not as direct as I might have been. So I'm going to restate my opinion in a slightly different way.

If a guy wants to tell me that he thinks Car A is better than Car B because he likes the color better, or he prefers a big block engine, or he doesn't like 17" wheels, or the resale on Car A is better, or any of a thousand other specific reasons, I will be happy to listen and consider his opinion. But if he knows so little about cars that his only reason for thinking Car A is better than Car B is because of their brands, then I don't think his opinion is worth hearing. If you chose a big brand Cobra replica because you didn't feel competent to evaluate the components and quality of construction of individual cars, then why should your opinion about which car is better carry any weight? .... Now I'm not saying or implying that everyone who bought a big name Cobra replica did so because they were uninformed. I am confident that is not the case. I'm just saying that claiming Brand A is universally better than Brand B is no way to make your case to me whether those brands are Superformance, Kirkham, FFR, BDR, ERA, Ford, Chevy, Buick, Dodge or Kia.
Tommy, you own a kit car.

Tommy, you own a middle of the road kit car.

Tommy, you own a middle of the road kit car that really isn't that special.

Tommy, you own a middle of the road kit car that really isn't that special and the motor is wrong.

Tommy, you own a middle of the road kit car that really isn't that special and the motor is wrong so others tell you theirs is better.

Tommy, don't let others tell you theirs is better, sell your middle of the road kit car that really isn't that special with the wrong motor.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

Tommy, can you hear me ?
Old 09-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

People are brand conscious.

And not everyone can clearly explain why the brand they purchased is better than the brand you purchased.

This just sound to me like either: a) you don't like talking to stupid people and/or b) you're jealous of another's purchase.

I'm really not sure what the point of this thread is other than to leave you with this famous movie quote:

Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
People are brand conscious.

And not everyone can clearly explain why the brand they purchased is better than the brand you purchased.

This just sound to me like either: a) you don't like talking to stupid people and/or b) you're jealous of another's purchase.

I'm really not sure what the point of this thread is other than to leave you with this famous movie quote:
Well I'm just glad you didn't take this opportunity to gratuitously bash beige Cobras....
Old 09-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well I'm just glad you didn't take this opportunity to gratuitously bash beige Cobras....
We were only discussing stupid people and/or choices. I didn't think we should involve the criminally insane into the discussion.

Painting a car is very expensive. One of the most expensive items when building a Cobra. Why anyone would choose the worst color choice from the 1988 Toyota color palette, to paint a Cobra, especially an ERA, is well-beyond stupid.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joe's Garage,
Your first statement is a fact that I agree with. All the opinions referencing "middle of the road" seem like indirect references to brand identity. Thus I will give them the weight they deserve. .... BTW, my comments were never directed at the quality of specific cars. I was commenting on the behavior of certain people.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 09-18-2015 at 12:21 PM..
Old 09-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Define "better".

Everyone has there own definition.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Define "better".

Everyone has there own definition.
You are effectively asking me to provide a quantifiable way to compare all the cars of one brand to all the cars of another. I don't think that is possible. That is why it annoys me when people indicate one brand is superior to another. I have no problem with someone saying, "I like that car better than this one." It is an entirely subjective opinion that depends on what that one person finds significant in those two cars. But it stretches credibility to think that one person knows all the cars of two brands so well that they can compare them all and declare a winner. To me that smacks of someone trying to justify a purchase decision they have already made.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

One man's continuation car is another man's kit car.

I think all cobras, whether they are kits, rollers, continuations, replicas, or fakey-dos, are equally fun to drive. I bought mine for the fun factor. If I had an original, I would be afraid to drive it as I might just total a piece of automotive history. And isn't that what most of us bought them for? Not to pretend they are original, but to drive them and relive a time when you actually had to drive the car and if you screwed up, it would bite you. I know that whenever I'm driving mine, I can't think about anything else or I'll end up seeing where I've been more than where I'm going.
Just my opinion, of course, but mine has 23,000 miles after 6 years and it still makes me giggle when I start it up.
Snake2998 likes this.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post

I think all cobras, whether they are kits, rollers, continuations, replicas, or fakey-dos, are equally fun to drive. I bought mine for the fun factor. If I had an original, I would be afraid to drive it as I might just total a piece of automotive history. And isn't that what most of us bought them for? Not to pretend they are original, but to drive them and relive a time when you actually had to drive the car and if you screwed up, it would bite you. I know that whenever I'm driving mine, I can't think about anything else or I'll end up seeing where I've been more than where I'm going.
Just my opinion, of course, but mine has 23,000 miles after 6 years and it still makes me giggle when I start it up.
Would that be a middle of the road giggle?
Old 09-19-2015, 06:16 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post

As to the first sentence I can't take issue with that depending ,however, how you define the term "kit" which has taken on several definitions. Around here its common place to see most lumping the Continuation Cobras in with "kits". This is mostly exclusively by those that don't own continuation Cobras (what a shock ). To me the term "kit" is a side show term they are caught up on or the other side show term they get caught up on.. "replica".

Cutting to the true essence of the issue for me (since this is an honest to goodness "mine is better than yours" thread) it can be said one man's Cobra is another man's fakeydo. The second paragraph of Jhv48 quoted above is a shining example of this.

He lumps all cars into the definition of "Cobra". Not so fast there bucko. How are you defining "Cobra"? If you are merely defining "Cobras" as that term has become generally accepted in the hobby than fine. The term in the hobby is generally understood to include not only original Cobras but includes car down through anything that just looks like a Cobra. These are all dubbed in the hobby a "Cobra". Fine. Yep. Get it.

However, if you are separating the wheat from the shaft and only want a car that is legally and factually a true Shelby Cobra and not a car that is just pretending to be one you have only two choices. Original Shelby or Continuation. Notice I didn't use "replica" or "kit". Again, those terms are really unimportant and a side show to me. Those two terms have taken on different meanings to different people and based on that cloud the issue as far as I am concerned for me.

You see I come from the perspective of having owned "fakeydos" (my perspective). Beautiful fakeydos but fakeydos none the less. An Exacalibur and and ERA. Both gorgeous and wonderful cars. However, for me what was best was not simply owning a car that looked like and pretended to be a Shelby Cobra but a Shelby Cobra. Legally and factually.

I had a lot of fun in my Excalibur and ERA and enjoyed driving them. However, for me I wanted the thrill of driving a genuine Shelby. That was the better car for me and makes it better for me. Maybe not you. Maybe you see it totally differently and to you the "only real Cobras were made in the 60's". That's fine. That's your view of it. Not mine.

From a purely brand prospective dealing with other vehicles, while one may say for example and hypothetically "all FFR's are better than all SPF's" I would say that based on varying builds and quality it becomes a silly statement in general. However, it again depends on the eye of the beholder. Maybe the person advocating FFR as the better car is of the opinion that the chassis design is better or the body shape is more appealing or the cost per fun quotient is better. Again, define "better".

Next time you are at a show or cruise night and "Cobra" owner (using the broad hobby definition) says "X" brand is better or he thinks it is better, instead of being annoyed ask him why he is saying that. He may have a supportable basis for that statement across the board or just as applies to him. Ask. I would. I would also let him know if I disagreed and tell him why I disagreed.

Just say'n.

Last edited by REAL 1; 09-19-2015 at 06:39 AM..
Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
... if you are separating the wheat from the shaft ...
Always worth a laugh if you can bring yourself to read through another senseless diatribe from a man owned by his kit car replica.

"separating the wheat from the shaft", is that why all them hillbillies have missin' teeth, ain't too good at separatin' the wheat from the shaft
Jaydee likes this.
Closed Thread