Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2015, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     
Default Air dams. Anyone know if/who is making these?

air dam - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

I kinda like the look of this vs the plywood wedge look. Anyone know if these are still being made, and who sells them........thanks.

PS: I know some people aren't going to like the look, but that's fine.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Last I heard that was a Backdraft part, slightly modified to fit the FFR.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks so much Bob, I found its still available from Backdraft.

Backdraft Parts - BDR Front Spoiler - Body Accessories - Body Parts - Products
Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Aside from the looks, which are not attractive to me, I have been interested in the use of an air dam to reduce the air temperature in the engine compartment of my car. Using a remote air temperature sensor in the air cleaner housing, I have observed temperatures above 150 degrees F. It has been alleged that the hood scoop does not perform the function that it was intended to do, which is to provide a path of cooler air to the engine intake. The allegation seems to be correct according to my measurements. So, my limited understanding of car aerodynamics is that an air dam aids a car to "hug the road" due to the lower air pressures created under the car by the air dam. If this is so, it would seem that the air dam would increase the removal of hot air from the engine compartment as well. Is there any data available to prove this?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobura View Post
Aside from the looks, which are not attractive to me, I have been interested in the use of an air dam to reduce the air temperature in the engine compartment of my car. Using a remote air temperature sensor in the air cleaner housing, I have observed temperatures above 150 degrees F. It has been alleged that the hood scoop does not perform the function that it was intended to do, which is to provide a path of cooler air to the engine intake. The allegation seems to be correct according to my measurements. So, my limited understanding of car aerodynamics is that an air dam aids a car to "hug the road" due to the lower air pressures created under the car by the air dam. If this is so, it would seem that the air dam would increase the removal of hot air from the engine compartment as well. Is there any data available to prove this?
An easier way to do this is to install some hood louvers so that the hot air can better get out of the engine compartment.

Maybe someone who road races these cars can tell us where the best placement would be, ie, right behind the radiator, or near the rear of the hood where it would draw the air throughout the whole engine compartment.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know if it's the same air dam but Bill Howe made one. It looks very similar. Along with that he has molded vents that can be installed in the hood and VERY large flares, front and back for those wanting to run huge tires. (I have all of those parts in storage)
I can take pics tomorrow.

Bill did a lot of fiberglass work for FF years ago. And, was very involved in creating the FF Daytona Coupe body.

If my memory is correct his number is 781 659 1404.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The air dam serves multiple purposes. Primarily, it will create a little down force to plant the front of the car better. The flip side of that, of course, is that it also creates drag. Tough to get one without the other.

As you said, it also keeps some of the air from getting underneath the car and creating lift. Unless you have a belly pan and diffuser, it's less helpful than you might think.

You can also create a dead zone directly behind the bumper; where your oil cooler lives. It's like blocking off the back of the cooler, making it significantly less efficient. You'll need to duct the back half of the cooler to make it work again.

With a sort of dead zone underneath the car, you need a place for the air to go after it passes through the radiator. The only place it has to go is down and back - which again creates lift. The best aerodynamic answer is the what they did for the GT40 and Daytona Coupe. Which may not be the look you're going for. Any kind of vent in the front of the hood will probably help with that.

But even that may not work incredibly well because of the angle of the Cobra radiator. Again, look at the Coupe. The Backdraft is horizontal, but the FFR is angled the wrong way.

Vents in the back of the hood are also less helpful than you might think - aerodynamically speaking. Leave the hood latches open and drive down the freeway. Does your hood lift? Mine doesn't. If your's doesn't either, that means there's not enough pressure under the hood to need venting.

Some people say the hood scoop doesn't do anything either. But the string test proves that it does. It doesn't do much, but some air does enter the scoop at speed.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 10-08-2015, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here is a picture of the Cobra air dam I have. I would sell it. $250.

603-504-4106
bigbellybanks@gmail.com
NZCookie likes this.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
The air dam serves multiple purposes. Primarily, it will create a little down force to plant the front of the car better. The flip side of that, of course, is that it also creates drag. Tough to get one without the other.

As you said, it also keeps some of the air from getting underneath the car and creating lift. Unless you have a belly pan and diffuser, it's less helpful than you might think.

You can also create a dead zone directly behind the bumper; where your oil cooler lives. It's like blocking off the back of the cooler, making it significantly less efficient. You'll need to duct the back half of the cooler to make it work again.

With a sort of dead zone underneath the car, you need a place for the air to go after it passes through the radiator. The only place it has to go is down and back - which again creates lift. The best aerodynamic answer is the what they did for the GT40 and Daytona Coupe. Which may not be the look you're going for. Any kind of vent in the front of the hood will probably help with that.

But even that may not work incredibly well because of the angle of the Cobra radiator. Again, look at the Coupe. The Backdraft is horizontal, but the FFR is angled the wrong way.

Vents in the back of the hood are also less helpful than you might think - aerodynamically speaking. Leave the hood latches open and drive down the freeway. Does your hood lift? Mine doesn't. If your's doesn't either, that means there's not enough pressure under the hood to need venting.

Some people say the hood scoop doesn't do anything either. But the string test proves that it does. It doesn't do much, but some air does enter the scoop at speed.
I don't believe the scientific facts will show that a properly designed air dam increases drag, but in fact reduces drag.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm looking for an air dam to buy. Will pay a reasonable price.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have an airdam for FF Cobra. It's never been mounted. $250 plus shipping. I can get a picture tomorrow morning. I also have a set of hood vents and large fender flares. (Front and back)

John chesnut
Bigbellybanks@gmail.com
603 504 4106
Old 04-02-2018, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Here it’s done the right way.....

LoBelly, Snake2998 and xlr8tr like this.

Last edited by Morris; 04-02-2018 at 05:05 PM..
Old 04-02-2018, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is nice Morris!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I don't believe the scientific facts will show that a properly designed air dam increases drag, but in fact reduces drag.
We're talking about two different kinds of air dams. The Backdraft part has a lip designed to create some downforce, some body lines, and look good. All that creates some drag. That's a street part, meant for a street car. Mostly just for looks without a whole lot of function on the street. Personally, I like the look. I'm thinking of putting one on my car.

But Morris' air dam is a lot different. It's nice and smooth, and does not create any down force or drag. It redirects the air so it doesn't go under the car, which is how it reduces drag.

Two different parts. Two different functions. Two different effects. Same name. Go figure.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 04-03-2018, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a nice article about air dams and spoilers:

https://nasaspeed.news/tech/aero/air...e-whole-point/
Old 04-04-2018, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While the only way to know anything for sure is to put it in the tunnel, I would contend that the BD airdam may reduce lift by blocking air from going under car, but lacks the necessary lip protrusion to make any downforce whatsoever. Morris's on the other hand has a splitter that protrudes forward of the front body line, which should produce downforce. While the front line on a cobra body is pretty high above the splitter which muddies the water a bit, generally splitter effectivity is going to count how far it protrudes beyond the front of the body.

Would also contend that all else being equal, creating downforce inherently creates drag. An air dam that reduces lift could reduce drag, but actually making downforce will increase it.

Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 04-04-2018 at 04:46 AM..
Old 04-04-2018, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blocking air from going under the car reduces drag if designed properly. Take a look at any high fuel economy car and you'll see some variation of an air dam on front.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by john chesnut View Post
I have an airdam for FF Cobra. It's never been mounted. $250 plus shipping. I can get a picture tomorrow morning. I also have a set of hood vents and large fender flares. (Front and back)

John chesnut
Bigbellybanks@gmail.com
603 504 4106
I sent John payment for this last night.

Thanks John!

I also bought a set of fender flares that I cannot use so they are for sale if anybody needs some.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Blocking air from going under the car reduces drag if designed properly. Take a look at any high fuel economy car and you'll see some variation of an air dam on front.

Link to air dam for economy:
Dam, It works! (Air dam on Smart Fortwo: 3-4% MPG improvement) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
Old 04-04-2018, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

What you don’t see is how we tied the front splitter to the Torsional plate that runs the length of the frame. This Torsional plate makes the frame much stronger by closing it in so their is no Torsional twist in the frame when you load the suspension in any corners. This allows you the have better control over your suspension in compression or rebound......So yes the splitter is a fixed aero advantage.....it is also a frame stiffener.....then we cover up rest of the under body....then we built the rear wing to balance the front to rear aero balance.....like they say......build the car to have a bit of oversteer which is not hard with a Cobra.....then use the Aero (Rear Wing) to balance the chassis on the track .....when you as a driver can turn in on a corner and have the confidence the car is going where you want it to go....you know the Aero is working.....

Morris
Snake2998 and Jdata like this.