Old 11-30-2015, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: canadian classic roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default which cobra do people like the best

hello all

today id like to gather some opinions on the cobra replicas on the market

so do people prefer the aluminum panel interior cobra like ffr or the fibreglass like the classic roadster?

I have molds for both styles and im wondering which is more popular wiith the replica crowd?

which kit currently on the market is the one most people like?

lastly which wheel base is more popular?
I have 90, 95, and 97 inch wheel base body molds

please no kit bashing just looking for genuine information.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Usually depends on what type of budget you are comfortable with & whether you are interested in accuracy or need/want certain features.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

By far the most highly regarded Cobra replicas are the ones that most accurately replicate the look, stance and character of the original cars. That means a 90" wheelbase and an aluminium body. Fiberglass bodies being much easier and less expensive to produce, means the market is dominated by 'glass bodied replicas, the best of those being the ones that keep the original look and dimensions and use aluminium interior and engine bay panelling to preserve the "correct look". A loose statement of truth is that with Cobra replicas, more aluminium = better; however, period correct details like alloy interior panels are a bit pointless if the body looks like an unfortunate cross between an AC Ace and a dune buggy (they do exist).

Price point is also a prime consideration - people who value accuracy are generally willing to pay for the premium products (Shelby replicas top the price list), but there is also a large segment of buyers who are happy with a Cobra-like car that goes fast and looks good. These buyers are less concerned about accuracy and tend to be ok with stretched wheelbases, altered body lines and more modern looking interiors.

Buyers with longer legs often search for stretched wheelbase options, but it must be noted that some of the better, more faithful replicas like the aluminium bodied Kirkham or 'glass cars like ERA, Unique and others can and do make the necessary modifications to accommodate drivers who are well over 6 feet tall without compromising the beautiful outward appearance of the Cobra. After all - while the awesome performance of the Cobra got the world's attention, its the look of the body that makes it the most replicated automobile of all time.
Ron61, 4pipes, LMH and 1 others like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What Buzz said...
Old 11-30-2015, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would stick with the 90 wheelbase as its the original design WB and with the ability to fit taller drivers with minor mods it doesnt leave anyone out. Backdraft uses a 92" WB and in my opinion it very tastefully done but i've sat in a 90" SPF and while not as comfortable as the BDR for me (I'm 6-2) it was more than enough room.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think it really depends on what you are building the car for. If you are building it for the people on this site, then what Buzz states is true. If you are building it just because you always liked the Cobra body style, it may be a lot different. Factory Five sold probably thousands of kits that only resembled the Cobra and people bought them without an issue. From the many I see on the road, they do not match on the interior, wheels, engine, or underpinnings, but I do see a lot of them.

I generally look at how they are built, not necessarily if somebody wanted it correct looking.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

In my observation, an aluminum body has the most appeal to the "close as possible to the real deal crowd". Which is by far the smallest market I think. Most guys buy one because they always wanted one, but they wanted the idea of the Cobra, not a real replica. Because frankly the real cars are stuck in the 60's. (or 50's if we are being frank) So a modern car has better brakes and suspension and cooling than the real deal...and that is more important to most buyers today. My two cents worth.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

'Purists' are looking for cars that conform as much as possible to the original cars: aluminum bodies that appear as similar as possible to the originals, aluminum interior panels, original-appearing dash, 90" wheelbase, bottom-hinged brake and clutch pedals, etc.

There are many who are more interested in a car that looks like a Cobra, but is perhaps easier to build, own and maintain. That probably means moulded fiberglass interior, parts which are readily available, etc. This market is probably much larger than the 'purists' category and therefore more market demand. Potential customers would also include those looking for longer wheelbase cars.
Thor maine and moore_rb like this.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I third Buzz...........
Old 11-30-2015, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Buzz 4

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 11-30-2015, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Buzz 5
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Buzz has pretty much summed it up nicely.

The only other conclusion one could draw, if you wanted to read it in this way, is that by sheer volume of sales Factory 5 has the "best" formula, as that's where people have spent their $$$.
May be people "like it the best" because of price point, because of the build process, because of the Smith family running it, or other reasons...
Jethrow likes this.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

While most people might agree that an aluminum body and 90" wheelbase are the most preferred, that combination is also produced in the fewest numbers due to cost considerations. Aluminum cars are expensive and the vast majority of people who own cobra replicas do not have the financial means to afford one.

So, you have to decide if you want to go with a smaller market and make a larger profit on each car, or enter the larger market and have to offer a competitive replica.

I would also add one more thing that Buzz mentioned, you also need to build in an allowance for a larger driver. Not only are there tall drivers, but the american waistline has been steadily growing and you should account for that in your seat design so that it increases your potential market.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post

I would also add one more thing that Buzz mentioned, you also need to build in an allowance for a larger driver. Not only are there tall drivers, but the american waistline has been steadily growing and you should account for that in your seat design so that it increases your potential market.
To this I reiterate: Don't buy a car sight unseen, sit in it first. Not a ride in the passenger seat but in the driver's seat. It's nice if the owner lets you drive, but at least be sure you aren't crowded out. Several cars I looked at were not physically compatible - the steering wheel rested on my lap with the seat adjusted for comfortable pedal positions.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn_n_60_shelby View Post
hello all

today id like to gather some opinions on the cobra replicas on the market

so do people prefer the aluminum panel interior cobra like ffr or the fibreglass like the classic roadster?

I have molds for both styles and im wondering which is more popular wiith the replica crowd?

which kit currently on the market is the one most people like?

lastly which wheel base is more popular?
I have 90, 95, and 97 inch wheel base body molds

please no kit bashing just looking for genuine information.

Most people like the one they own - ergo the reason they purchased it.

By shear numbers sold, few could argue that Factory Five Racing isn't the most popular.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While I agree Buzz makes some solid points, there are other perspectives. We each have our own reasons for choosing our purchase.

When picking a car, I could have purchased any kit on the market and had a very nice car while spending considerably less than I have on my FFR. The entire premise of my car is achieving the absolute maximum level of performance while maintaining the looks of a cobra. My car is more a tribute than replica. While the reasoning applies only to me, here is why I chose FFR.

The chassis was configured in such a way that I could easily make suspension and aerodynamic modifications I wanted to. This saved considerable time as compared to scratch built.

The fiberglass body is much easier to modify for aerodynamics and fitting large rubber.

It was the only combination of body and chassis that would accommodate my aerodynamic plan without a complete reconstruction.

It was the lightest combination available, especially when the fiberglass thickness was reduced to a more reasonable level.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A question that can have so many answers as we all know. For me it was wanting a Cobra at an affordable price and one that I could build. It had to be fiberglass knowing aluminum panels dented so easy. It also had to look as much like an original as possible.

I for one spent a lot of years reading all there was to read, talked to Cobra owners and rode in their cars learning about these cars so when the big day came would have a good handle on exactly what to expect.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Neutral     

Ryan --
Looks, ease of build and price.

That's your main words...everything else are option AFTER the decision which kit you go for.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK4
Not Ranked     

I believe this to be highly personal but if you look what has been sold to be a good model of what will sell, then you will have to look hard at FFR model. However, having said that, a replica is still a replica if it's a $20,000 FFT or a $200,000 Kirkham.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK4
Not Ranked     

I believe this to be highly personal but if you look what has been sold to be a good model of what will sell, then you will have to look hard at FFR model. However, having said that, a replica is still a replica if it's a $20,000 FFR or a $200,000 Kirkham.