28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree24Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     
Default The "Cooler King returns".

Now that I’m back (for how long who knows) it seems like a particular troll who fancies himself as a “Guardian of the Galaxy” was still happily making snide demeaning comments about the current production Cobras describing them as the “red headed step children” on the thread dealing with the article on Mr. Scudder when this particular troll still hasn’t even provided any proof he owns anything Cobra related more less any part of any replica.

Further, when snide and demeaning comments are made towards site participant’s cars it would seem to me that the moderator who banned me should do his job and step in and put a stop to it. Instead snide comments towards the current Shelby’s and their owners are seen and allowed as just dandy and the non-Shelby owners giggle with glee and clap their hands in amusement despite the fact (here’s the push back) they own vehicles that are nothing more than plastic bodies resembling a Shelby Cobra (new or old) covering up a conglomerate mish mosh parts bolted to varying configuration of chassis not remotely close to the Cobra chassis to which license plates such as “66COBRA” are attached. They don’t even rise to the level of “red headed step children”. You want respect. Show respect.

Then there is the “name calling” and taunting with pictures of toy clowns etc… and the rest all permitted to continue by our “moderator”.

Then there are the one or two Shelby owners that clearly play along to get along and apparently are very happy to have their cars referred as “red headed step children”. Yeah, I understand some people just don’t like confrontation. Me???? I don’t mind it at all, however. I, further don’t need to cultivate friends who continually want to pee in my Corn Flakes. Friends like those you can keep.

It seems the only “banning” being done on this site is when current production Cobra owners respond to such snide, insulting, or inaccurate comments. I was banned for being a “chit starter” to quote the reason. This was the specifically cited offense. My response,.. Yup. Step on me I push back. See, in my book comments like “red headed step children” clearly referring to current production Cobras of which I own one of is “chit starting” and if that’s not considered “chit starting” here by the moderator because of the intended target then expect me to chit start” every time with trolls like that in response.

Further my “chit starting” offense resulting in my “ban” was simply pointing out with regard to the “Mr. Cobra” article that I’ve never noticed anyone with a Continuation Series Cobra on the SAAC forum make a claim that because their MSO says 1965 it was a 1965 SC and the same as a 1965 regardless what Mr. Scudder claims in his article which statement since I never saw any such claims on the SAAC forum. I also searched the SAAC forum and didn’t find any such claims by Continuation owners. Please show me where this happened on the SAAC forum if I’m wrong.

I do have enormous respect for Mr. Scudder’s knowledge of the original cars and respect his efforts in keeping track of them and the work he has done over the years. He is to be commended for that. I understand his bias for the original cars and his affinity for them. I get it. He grew up with those cars. They are part of his life and I agree with him that are special and should be always hold a special and top place with SAAC. I get it and agree 100%. “But for” those original cars my Shelby Cobra would not exist. However, anyone that insults what I own I have no interest in.

History marches on. Keeping track of history includes keeping track of current events since todays events are history tomorrow. Original Shelby’s are part of Shelby history. So are the Shelby’s of the 70’s. So are the Shelby cars of the 90’s and current Shelbys.

I don’t carry grudges normally (some trolls excepted). I have been a Cobra enthusiast since around 1968 when I was a kid. I used to sit and read the magazine articles on all the muscle cars of that era (or more accurately look at the pictures mostly) and the Cobra was the “King of the Hill” as far as I was concerned. I remember arguments with my kid brother as to which Cobra was better, the 289 or the 427. I was just too young to buy one and missed the boat when they were affordable still being too young to afford one.

Safe to say I have been a Cobra enthusiast all my life and buying a Shelby was a lifelong dream and goal. I owned an Excalibur and an ERA. Then I acquired by Shelby. So don’t expect me to sit back and let trolls piss on it even on the “worlds most unbiased Cobra site”. Especially trolls that know as little as the particular troll I’m talking about who gets most of his information on the internet and was amazed and awed to find out the GT40 program started in 1964.

I don’t know if the suggestion of having me be a Registrar for the originals was sarcastic or serious but I would be happy to take part in helping keep track of the original cars and assist. Yes, I am volunteering. I didn’t see many others volunteer. They are special cars and they need to be tracked and documented. I know full well the special place the originals hold and am in no way confused about that because of my position on the continuation series which is consistent with SAAC’s.

The SAAC Registry keeps track of all Cobras and its main function is to track the originals as this was its original purpose and should continue to be its central purpose but I think SAAC is and should start recognizing that it needs to be more inclusive to survive.
Any of you guys with non Shelbys want to step up and volunteer? Didn’t see many do so. In fact, I didn’t see one.

The guys who love Cobras are older of the 50’s and 60’s generation. The newer generations need to be engaged in these cars, Carroll Shelby and Shelby American. Knowledge of AC is also important but not as important to the history of the car as Carroll Shelby and SAI. AC didn’t really develop the car in racing as did SAI did. Furthermore, most of the improvements that were made part of the manufacture of the car at AC which were directed by SAI. Very simply, AC didn’t make the car a house hold name. Carroll Shelby did. Period. LMH can recite all the engineering work AC did on the Cobra till he is blue in the face… the majority of it would not have taken place without SAI directing it to be done for the manufacture of the car for SAI. In large and major part Shelby American spoke and AC listened but AC is a part of the story. Not only is this confirmed by my readings of texts and the SAAC Registry but in conversation I’ve had with guys very knowledgeable in the history of the Cobra such as Bill Andrews (who restored many originals including Bob Gingold’s car) and guys such as Lynn Park (who is a class act).

Is there even an AC convention? I know there is a Shelby American Automobile Convention.

As someone said here, you need a younger guy to pick up the mantel of the 2000/3000 Registrar when Ned decides to stop. I don’t know when Ned intends to stop but it will be a yeoman’s task for sure. Anyone looking to take the position should start assisting and learning from Ned in advance. Ned grew up with these cars and lived with them through the years.

Failing to attract young Shelby enthusiasts and including their cars in SAAC along with some acknowledgment of respect is not a recipe for success IMHO. Demeaning current production Shelby Cobra owners and their cars would not be the way to go for future growth either. These are the guys you want to attract. They are generally younger and upwardly mobile demographically and by and large real Shelby enthusiasts.

How many of those reading this are a SAAC member? How many reading this own a Registry? How many have more than one SAAC Annual?

Further, as an example I have made the suggestion to SAAC that even the Boss 302 should have a place in the SAAC forum both old and current Boss as the Boss clearly has Shelby History. They decided just to place a forum for ‘69/70 Bosses in response to my input. The ‘12/13 Boss should be included too IMHO. They provided these cars their own category in the popular vote contest at the past conventions. When you are inclusive you draw more interest. When you draw more interest people learn and get enthused with Shelby and the history and then on the main focus of SAAC …. Cobras, and most importantly the originals.

Rick Kopec, Director Emeritus of SAAC stated just this year in February 2015 on the SAAC forum:

The term "Shelby World Registry" is a generic term. There can be more than one. SAAC maintains a registry on the original cars, made between 1962 and 1970. When we published the last edition of the Cobra registry (in 2008) we included other Cobras (AC MK IVs, CSX4000s, Kirkhams, etc.) because there were SAAC members who owned those cars and were interested in tracking their history. We included them as context, to demonstrate that there were other Cobras in addition to the originals. But so many "other" Cobras have continued to be built since we published our registry that the SAAC members trying to keep track of them have simply not been able to keep up…..

I think this is the correct and fair attitude towards the current generation cars and not as “red headed step children” as some small minded envious troll would. Mr. Kopec’s statement clearly signals to me that the current production Cobras will continue to be included in the Registry as is fair and appropriate…. Of course to the extreme disappointment and frustration of many on this site I’m sure.

As I interpret Mr. Kopec’s statement on the SAAC forum it is one of continued inclusion I am more than happy to volunteer and help/assist if asked to help track the original cars for the Registry or continuation cars and learn as much as I can about the originals from men like Mr. Scudder. If not asked or needed, that’s fine too. No problem. I’ve got plenty to do.

I don’t know what the current SAAC enrollment is or the age demographic. I do have a concern the enrollment has declined over the years and the age demographic has increased. The way to lower the age demographic and increase interest and enrollment is inclusion of new and old Shelbys and vehicles with Shelby finger prints/DNA like the Boss etc…. Oh, wouldn’t be shocked to banned again for this post too sooo….I’ll grab my glove and ball.

https://youtu.be/hhGWxqj_bC0
Brooklyn-427 likes this.

Last edited by REAL 1; 11-22-2015 at 11:24 AM..
Old 11-22-2015, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Never thought I would actually pity someone fortunate enough to own such a cool car.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Cooler King? Does Real1 think he is Steve McQueen?

I d vote for Real1 to be elected for SAAC. He'd be the Donald Trump for Shelbys

welcome back Sir. this site needs your energy and moxie
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Save your pitty. Don't need it. Believe me.

Thanks for the compliment on the Cobra though.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Cooler King? Does Real1 think he is Steve McQueen?

I d vote for Real1 to be elected for SAAC. He'd be the Donald Trump for Shelbys

welcome back Sir. this site needs your energy and moxie
I did look like cross between James Caan/Ryan O'Neil when I was younger.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Welcome back Evan.
You obviously did some writing during your time off!
Yes, I am an SAAC member for a long time. And yes, I have the Registry.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Save your pitty. Don't need it. Believe me.

Thanks for the compliment on the Cobra though.
If you can shelve the egocentrism for just a brief moment, try to understand that when one person pities another, it is ultimately for the benefit of the one showing the pity rather than the one receiving it.

No doubt your issues have caused you and others in your life a great deal of pain. Rather than piling on and calling you an @#$%, I choose pity in hopes of being a better person than I was yesterday. No one here suffers the delusion that pity would in any way benefit you as your problems come entirely from within.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Why was this even a post in the first place? Just looks like an invitation for an argument to me.
Wodnas likes this.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
If you can shelve the egocentrism for just a brief moment, try to understand that when one person pities another, it is ultimately for the benefit of the one showing the pity rather than the one receiving it.

No doubt your issues have caused you and others in your life a great deal of pain. Rather than piling on and calling you an @#$%, I choose pity in hopes of being a better person than I was yesterday. No one here suffers the delusion that pity would in any way benefit you as your problems come entirely from within.
I disagree with you analysis. If your pity was for your benefit as opposed to mine that makes you the ego centrist doesn't it? But if it makes you feel better be my guest. It is a different tact than most take here in personal attacks. Novel.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAgrest View Post
Why was this even a post in the first place? Just looks like an invitation for an argument to me.
Then its easy. Decline to engage.

Hey, you guys wanted more excitement. Here you go.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Evan, you take things wayyyyy too seriously. None of this really matters, what other people post doesn't matter, and annoying posts are just to be laughed off. All of this is just a game, and there are no winners, and no losers; it's just a game that you play. And chances are, the people that bug you the most are still in high school. I know one of my kids bugs people on the golf forum.
hauss likes this.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Well, this is off to a great start. I'm banning myself from this dreck!
JBCOBRA likes this.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Evan! Welcome back buddy. Most of us want you to stick around so try to break the cycle of recidivism and don't get into a prolonged, heated argument about the same old same old in this thread. Lots of other good stuff to banter and argue about.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-22-2015, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

He's baaaaaaaaaaack.

I actually missed the poor guy. So easy to provoke and so full of himself. Must have had a hell of a childhood.

So, let the name calling and belittling begin.

Start with me. You know you want to.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
He's baaaaaaaaaaack.

I actually missed the poor guy. So easy to provoke and so full of himself. Must have had a hell of a childhood.

So, let the name calling and belittling begin.

Start with me. You know you want to.
Nah. Your not worth my time or effort. Sorry.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Evan! Welcome back buddy. Most of us want you to stick around so try to break the cycle of recidivism and don't get into a prolonged, heated argument about the same old same old in this thread. Lots of other good stuff to banter and argue about.
Buzz: Thanks my friend. Just got back from you neck of the woods.

Just picked up a Frederique Constant tank and a Ulysse Nardin Mariner Chronometer in the "Chocolate" in St. Kitts.

Oh, forgot. I'll post pics of the watches. That seems to be the procedure here.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Nah. Your not worth my time or effort. Sorry.
No. You don't post a response saying you're not going to post a response. Just ignore it.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Evan, you take things wayyyyy too seriously. None of this really matters, what other people post doesn't matter, and annoying posts are just to be laughed off. All of this is just a game, and there are no winners, and no losers; it's just a game that you play. And chances are, the people that bug you the most are still in high school. I know one of my kids bugs people on the golf forum.
Patrickt: You are one of the few guys here I respect. Yes, you are right. I get it. It's all good until the personal insults start. I try to stay above it until ...well I try.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No. You don't post a response saying you're not going to post a response. Just ignore it.

Yes. Count to 10. That works, right?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Cooler King"? King of what? Is that sort of like "Legend in your own mind"?
Larry