LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2016, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
Hagerty's valuation would lead one to believe the asking price is a bit high, even if the car is complete with tonneau cover, folding top and a spare set of tires. They show an 'excellent' condition car would be worth $104K, after a recent and slight uptick in the value.

As to what it will actually sell for, that's up to what some buyer thinks it's worth.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Hagerty's valuation would lead one to believe the asking price is a bit high, even if the car is complete with tonneau cover, folding top and a spare set of tires. They show an 'excellent' condition car would be worth $104K, after a recent and slight uptick in the value.

As to what it will actually sell for, that's up to what some buyer thinks it's worth.
I personally know of MK IVs that have sold in that price range. And others that have been sold into Europe for that price and above including a good friend's car that now resides in France.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This same AC MK IV was recently listed here on CC for $120K:

PhotoPost Classifieds - 1986 AC Autokraft MK IV Black / Tan, Stunning! - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 03-16-2016, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricopa View Post
With a SPF 'glass Slabside in the classifieds for 97K I'd sat that makes this one a bargain....But of course both are ridiculously overpriced.
WOW! Oh my word! You did NOT just say that, did you?!
Blasphemer!

Well I for one couldn't agree more... now ducking for cover!
Old 03-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a 1987 AC MKIV, which sold at auction for 61,600 GBP (British Pound). So based on the 9/7/15 sale date, where the conversion rate was 1.53, this MK IV sold for $94,000-ish.

1987 AC Cobra Mk IV | London 2015 | RM Sotheby's
Old 03-16-2016, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Well, when selling set the anchor price by starting high---studies have shown that even random* anchor prices result in higher sales prices.

* Literally random---roulette wheel with random numbers. Amazing how the human brain works.

The internet (and guys like you) are an equalizing force in the market.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 03-17-2016, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

The current owner reported 2014 he paid $19k for the vehicle.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
With a SPF 'glass Slabside in the classifieds for 97K I'd sat that makes this one a bargain....But of course both are ridiculously overpriced.
I don't know - IMHO I wouldn't say that SPF Slabside is ridiculously overpriced. That is a really nice car and except for the body material, very faithful to the originals. It's priced significantly under what he has in it as the original owner which reflects these replicas will seldom be worth what it costs for the initial build. Assuming he has a little room to move on the price, if I were in the market for a slabside I think it would be looking at it closely.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I don't know - IMHO I wouldn't say that SPF Slabside is ridiculously overpriced. That is a really nice car and except for the body material, very faithful to the originals. It's priced significantly under what he has in it as the original owner which reflects these replicas will seldom be worth what it costs for the initial build. Assuming he has a little room to move on the price, if I were in the market for a slabside I think it would be looking at it closely.
I'm already on record elsewhere about the SPF seller's ad being a bit hyperbolic, but when you say the car is priced significantly under what he or she has invested, I have to question the authenticity of spending $25,000 on a "date coded" 289 and a Toploader. I haven't had an engine built in a while, but that sounds like a joke to me.

Otherwise it's a cute car.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MK IV in europe for sale...

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...ra/1986/350810

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...ra/1995/366098

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car...ft/1988/336313

many others with p.o.a....

so: buy this cheap car out here......

Last edited by peterpjb; 03-17-2016 at 10:53 AM..
Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
I came to this enlightened position years ago. And that is you can ask whatever the heck you want for your car, especially dealers.

Alloy CSX4000's are selling for $150,000. And in my book, they're well above AC MKIV's on the "depth chart." The alloy CSX4000 body is accurate (it's a Kirkham ) and you get a big block. Oh, and you get a badge too.

Factual sales data points mean everything. Asking prices, appraisals and other opinions of value mean nothing.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The AC/Autokraft cars have a special attribute in Europe in that they can be registered just like another 1986 car. That has a lot of value over there. The seller here could export it and still make money.

But then the myopic trolls will always have something bad to say.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
But then the myopic trolls will always have something bad to say.
Must be time to hit the Olive Garden there in Vegas.

Tony, not sure why you always veer towards attempting to insult and belittle me, but the psychology books would probably say that it makes you feel better about yourself, because life isn't treating you well. Maybe turn a new leaf and generate some positive thoughts about others. Honestly, I hope calling me a "myopic troll" makes you feel better about yourself. It doesn't bother me at all.

If you would have read an earlier post of mine, I posted an ACTUAL SALE at an auction IN EUROPE (England) for an AC MKIV. And the price was $94,000 USD. Not so special I guess.

As they say in Vegas, "read 'em and weep."
Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Here's a 1987 AC MKIV, which sold at auction for 61,600 GBP (British Pound). So based on the 9/7/15 sale date, where the conversion rate was 1.53, this MK IV sold for $94,000-ish.

1987 AC Cobra Mk IV | London 2015 | RM Sotheby's
I'll re-post the ACTUAL SALE in EUROPE. Just the facts.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Obviously we have different ideas of what things are worth....or are in very different tax brackets. And I don't care how much he overspent building it, I could build two ERA Slabsides for that.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have to question the authenticity of spending $25,000 on a "date coded" 289 and a Toploader. I haven't had an engine built in a while, but that sounds like a joke to me.
I agree the $25k sounds a bit suspicious for the engine and toploader. KC built my FE and toploader - vintage heads, intake, block, transmission and I probably ended up somewhere around $15 to 16K total. It's certainly not date coded - more like "decade" coded. Still think if you could buy that car for around $90-92k I would not have any second thoughts about it.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Obviously we have different ideas of what things are worth....or are in very different tax brackets. And I don't care how much he overspent building it, I could build two ERA Slabsides for that.
Probably not (different tax brackets - I am in Arkansas after all) - I would not mind having a nice Kirkham 427 Street Roadster - but I have a nice ERA one that I finished and built myself (partly as a concession to cost) and I'm just hunky-dory with it. But I can still admire a nice Kirkham Roadster (or SPF Slabside) and understand that it may have a market value a little higher than my ERA.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Factual sales data points mean everything. Asking prices, appraisals and other opinions of value mean nothing.
ok, but go to a dealer with an asking 200k $ price and offer him 100k $, i suppose you will NOT get the car
Old 03-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
ok, but go to a dealer with an asking 200k $ price and offer him 100k $, i suppose you will NOT get the car
I'm told that offers buy cars.

And I suspect that those dealers won't be selling their AC MKIV's any time soon either since the last verifiable European sale is $94,000. At least the last and most recent sale you could find googling.

The last couple of alloy CSX4000's were sold at around $150,000. Evan's CSX4206 is priced at $250,000. Shelby is asking $400,000 for a demonstrator 50th anniversary FIA, when genuine 1960's 289 Cobras have sold recently at auction between $750,000-$800,000.

IMO, there's a similarity or symmetry with those cars and their asking prices.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
[i] And I don't care how much he overspent building it, I could build two ERA Slabsides for that.
Wow - I almost walked by this one! Man, if you can build two complete ERA slabsides for $97k you really need to get in that business. A nice ERA finished 427 roller out the door (painted, 6-pin KOs, big brakes, good tires, leather, ERA rear, sidepipes) and with a 427 SO and toploader dropped in is probably going to cost somewhere in the range above $80K. And a slabside kit is more expensive than the 427 kit.

I've never added all the receipts up for my ERA but just the big ones in my head go over $50k and I know there is probably another $15K on top of that. And I have 5-pins, vinyl seats, jag rear, Chev brakes, a mutt FE motor, did all body/paint/assembly myself.