LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
but no one else than you posted the internet article with the original frame bs story
A good example of how all of us, collectively, smarter than any one of us. The challenge, of course, is to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Dwight and RodKnock like this.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
but no one else than you posted the internet article with the original frame bs story
Well, before posting an article by Andy Reid, which YOU posted, you should maybe check his link via his name. The article you posted re: the continuation market was by written by someone who has no clue about the history of the Shelby Cobra. None. Thus, anything he writes is non-authoritative and ignorant of basic facts of which he's writing about.

I said my peace. I'm out. Happy New Year.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well, before posting an article by Andy Reid, which YOU posted, you should maybe check his link via his name. The article you posted re: the continuation market was by written by someone who has no clue about the history of the Shelby Cobra. None. Thus, anything he writes is non-authoritative and ignorant of basic facts of which he's writing about.

I said my peace. I'm out. Happy New Year.

that is a strong statement,
but regardless of your excitement, the article posted in #65 is pretty correct

Last edited by peterpjb; 12-29-2016 at 01:02 AM..
Old 12-29-2016, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

not brandnew but fits to this thread...

turnkey car...

https://theshopmag.com/news/shelby-a...cobra-race-car

Last edited by peterpjb; 12-29-2016 at 03:54 AM..
Old 12-29-2016, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
that is a strong statement,
but regardless of your excitement, the article posted in #65 is pretty correct
Yes, pretty correct - but only if you accept a very broad definition of what constitutes a 'continuation car'. As previously noted in this thread, many of the purists object to the term 'continuation' in relation to Shelby's CSX replicas - notwithstanding Shelby's use of the term.

While Shelby's CSX rollers make for fine replicas, their use of the term 'continuation' is, in my opinion, an obviously blatant attempt to link their replicas with the original 998 cars and their escalating value. In the process, they're attempting to add marketing 'lustre' and value to their replicas and command a higher price in the market - which appears to be working. I can't blame them to for that.

While there are obviously many who feel the Shelby name and CSX designation provide additional value, there are also many who are quite pleased to own Superformance, Kirkham or other marques - and use the money saved for other things.

There's a lid for every pot.
CompClassics and peterpjb like this.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Yes, pretty correct - but only if you accept a very broad definition of what constitutes a 'continuation car'. As previously noted in this thread, many of the purists object to the term 'continuation' in relation to Shelby's CSX replicas - notwithstanding Shelby's use of the term.

While Shelby's CSX rollers make for fine replicas, their use of the term 'continuation' is, in my opinion, an obviously blatant attempt to link their replicas with the original 998 cars and their escalating value. In the process, they're attempting to add marketing 'lustre' and value to their replicas and command a higher price in the market - which appears to be working. I can't blame them to for that.

While there are obviously many who feel the Shelby name and CSX designation provide additional value, there are also many who are quite pleased to own Superformance, Kirkham or other marques - and use the money saved for other things.

There's a lid for every pot.
do you mean, compared to other marques as jaguar, aston martin, lister, maserati etc., shelby is less legitimated to use the term 'continuation'?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Agree with you Cycleguy Brian quite pleased sure works. For those of us who went through the pain of building our cars there is another whole level of appreciation mostly pride.
As you have said most people know very little about our Cobra's I will listen to all opinions until they get out of hand at putting one or all of our cars down solely to make themselves feel better about their continuation replicars. After all we all love the same basic car no reason why we all can't get along.

Mike
Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

It doesn't matter a bit what members of a internet board think....Shelby is doing it and it is paying off...it is what it is...
Old 01-02-2017, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
do you mean, compared to other marques as jaguar, aston martin, lister, maserati etc., shelby is less legitimated to use the term 'continuation'?
Shelby's use of the term 'continuation' is at best a 'stretch' and, at worst, completely incorrect and misapplied, given the many differences between the original 998 cars and the replicas Shelby is currently building. That's what I mean.

Unfortunately, whether something is a 'continuation' car or not isn't clearly a 'black and white' issue, but more a continuum or 'shades of grey'. If a car has to be an exact copy, using the same materials, methods and processes as the originals in order to be labelled a 'continuation', then perhaps none of the marques' 'continuation' cars would be correctly labelled as they all incorporate changes of some kind - however minor.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Shelby's use of the term 'continuation' is at best a 'stretch' and, at worst, completely incorrect and misapplied, given the many differences between the original 998 cars and the replicas Shelby is currently building. That's what I mean.

Unfortunately, whether something is a 'continuation' car or not isn't clearly a 'black and white' issue, but more a continuum or 'shades of grey'. If a car has to be an exact copy, using the same materials, methods and processes as the originals in order to be labelled a 'continuation', then perhaps none of the marques' 'continuation' cars would be correctly labelled as they all incorporate changes of some kind - however minor.
agree there is a spectrum with the shelby continuation cars,
some pretty original aluminium continuations made while shelby was alive and some later fiberglass models...
Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/h...jaguar-d-type/
CompClassics and ACHiPo like this.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Fantastic! I'm all for legitimate manufacturers reviving classic and iconic models from their historical lineup. Please tell me next up will be Ferrari's continuation 206 Dino SP.

CompClassics and Alfa02 like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

in looking at the level of detail and originality of the Jaguar based "Continuation" cars I find it refreshing in the pains that were taken to locate or reproduce the parts that were used to assemble each model. IMHO its this kind of dedication that constitutes a true "Continuation" vehicle, it's all in the details.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree. See, for example, the recent extended piece on The Grand Tour featuring the new "old" Jaguar and Aston-Martin, with all their originality, and comparing them to a new Honda.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No indication of price. Guessing it’s a case of “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”
Old 02-08-2018, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Unused D-Type chassis? I like to carbon date them.
Or 25 unused chassis numbers?

"The multi-million-pound creations" Many shops can do that for this money...

However, nice to see. If Jaguar makes money from it, good for them. I am just jealous.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt289 View Post
I agree. See, for example, the recent extended piece on The Grand Tour featuring the new "old" Jaguar and Aston-Martin, with all their originality, and comparing them to a new Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
No indication of price. Guessing it’s a case of “if you have to ask, you can’t afford it”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
Or 25 unused chassis numbers?

"The multi-million-pound creations" Many shops can do that for this money...

However, nice to see. If Jaguar makes money from it, good for them. I am just jealous.
The Grand Tour did a pretty good dive on both the Jag and Aston Martin. Neither had any creature comforts. The Jag was stated as "one million pounds (Brit currency, so convert to dollars)" Doesn't matter they are all sold. Neither was street legal. They fudged getting them on the road for the tests by becoming temporary employees and driving as prototypes.
Dominik likes this.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
Or 25 unused chassis numbers?.
25 unused chassis numbers.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

not brand new....

https://monochrome-watches.com/conti...olhead-corner/