Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Cobra Talk Areas > ALL COBRA TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
August 2018
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree33Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2016, 03:54 PM
cycleguy55's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: White City, SK
Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Posts: 1,765
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
but no one else than you posted the internet article with the original frame bs story
A good example of how all of us, collectively, smarter than any one of us. The challenge, of course, is to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Dwight and RodKnock like this.
__________________
Brian
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #82 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:25 PM
RodKnock's Avatar
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Posts: 9,416
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
but no one else than you posted the internet article with the original frame bs story
Well, before posting an article by Andy Reid, which YOU posted, you should maybe check his link via his name. The article you posted re: the continuation market was by written by someone who has no clue about the history of the Shelby Cobra. None. Thus, anything he writes is non-authoritative and ignorant of basic facts of which he's writing about.

I said my peace. I'm out. Happy New Year.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 12:30 AM
peterpjb's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 309
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Well, before posting an article by Andy Reid, which YOU posted, you should maybe check his link via his name. The article you posted re: the continuation market was by written by someone who has no clue about the history of the Shelby Cobra. None. Thus, anything he writes is non-authoritative and ignorant of basic facts of which he's writing about.

I said my peace. I'm out. Happy New Year.

that is a strong statement,
but regardless of your excitement, the article posted in #65 is pretty correct

Last edited by peterpjb; 12-29-2016 at 01:02 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #84 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 02:20 AM
peterpjb's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 309
Not Ranked     
Default

not brandnew but fits to this thread...


turnkey car...

https://theshopmag.com/news/shelby-a...cobra-race-car

Last edited by peterpjb; 12-29-2016 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #85 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 08:39 AM
cycleguy55's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: White City, SK
Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Posts: 1,765
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
that is a strong statement,
but regardless of your excitement, the article posted in #65 is pretty correct
Yes, pretty correct - but only if you accept a very broad definition of what constitutes a 'continuation car'. As previously noted in this thread, many of the purists object to the term 'continuation' in relation to Shelby's CSX replicas - notwithstanding Shelby's use of the term.

While Shelby's CSX rollers make for fine replicas, their use of the term 'continuation' is, in my opinion, an obviously blatant attempt to link their replicas with the original 998 cars and their escalating value. In the process, they're attempting to add marketing 'lustre' and value to their replicas and command a higher price in the market - which appears to be working. I can't blame them to for that.

While there are obviously many who feel the Shelby name and CSX designation provide additional value, there are also many who are quite pleased to own Superformance, Kirkham or other marques - and use the money saved for other things.

There's a lid for every pot.
CompClassics and peterpjb like this.
__________________
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #86 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:05 AM
peterpjb's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 309
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Yes, pretty correct - but only if you accept a very broad definition of what constitutes a 'continuation car'. As previously noted in this thread, many of the purists object to the term 'continuation' in relation to Shelby's CSX replicas - notwithstanding Shelby's use of the term.

While Shelby's CSX rollers make for fine replicas, their use of the term 'continuation' is, in my opinion, an obviously blatant attempt to link their replicas with the original 998 cars and their escalating value. In the process, they're attempting to add marketing 'lustre' and value to their replicas and command a higher price in the market - which appears to be working. I can't blame them to for that.

While there are obviously many who feel the Shelby name and CSX designation provide additional value, there are also many who are quite pleased to own Superformance, Kirkham or other marques - and use the money saved for other things.

There's a lid for every pot.
do you mean, compared to other marques as jaguar, aston martin, lister, maserati etc., shelby is less legitimated to use the term 'continuation'?
Reply With Quote
  #87 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 AM
mdross1's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Windham,, Me
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 1,590
Not Ranked     
Default

Agree with you Cycleguy Brian quite pleased sure works. For those of us who went through the pain of building our cars there is another whole level of appreciation mostly pride.
As you have said most people know very little about our Cobra's I will listen to all opinions until they get out of hand at putting one or all of our cars down solely to make themselves feel better about their continuation replicars. After all we all love the same basic car no reason why we all can't get along.


Mike
Reply With Quote
  #88 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 AM
Bartruff1's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Posts: 869
Not Ranked     
Default

It doesn't matter a bit what members of a internet board think....Shelby is doing it and it is paying off...it is what it is...
Reply With Quote
  #89 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2017, 10:30 AM
cycleguy55's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: White City, SK
Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Posts: 1,765
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
do you mean, compared to other marques as jaguar, aston martin, lister, maserati etc., shelby is less legitimated to use the term 'continuation'?
Shelby's use of the term 'continuation' is at best a 'stretch' and, at worst, completely incorrect and misapplied, given the many differences between the original 998 cars and the replicas Shelby is currently building. That's what I mean.

Unfortunately, whether something is a 'continuation' car or not isn't clearly a 'black and white' issue, but more a continuum or 'shades of grey'. If a car has to be an exact copy, using the same materials, methods and processes as the originals in order to be labelled a 'continuation', then perhaps none of the marques' 'continuation' cars would be correctly labelled as they all incorporate changes of some kind - however minor.
__________________
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #90 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2017, 11:23 AM
peterpjb's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 309
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Shelby's use of the term 'continuation' is at best a 'stretch' and, at worst, completely incorrect and misapplied, given the many differences between the original 998 cars and the replicas Shelby is currently building. That's what I mean.

Unfortunately, whether something is a 'continuation' car or not isn't clearly a 'black and white' issue, but more a continuum or 'shades of grey'. If a car has to be an exact copy, using the same materials, methods and processes as the originals in order to be labelled a 'continuation', then perhaps none of the marques' 'continuation' cars would be correctly labelled as they all incorporate changes of some kind - however minor.
agree there is a spectrum with the shelby continuation cars,
some pretty original aluminium continuations made while shelby was alive and some later fiberglass models...
Reply With Quote
  #91 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 AM
peterpjb's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 309
Not Ranked     
Default

https://www.goodwood.com/grrc/race/h...jaguar-d-type/
CompClassics and ACHiPo like this.
Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Buzz's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: St. Lucia, West Indies, WI
Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Posts: 3,203
Not Ranked     
Default

Fantastic! I'm all for legitimate manufacturers reviving classic and iconic models from their historical lineup. Please tell me next up will be Ferrari's continuation 206 Dino SP.

CompClassics and Alfa02 like this.
__________________
Tropical Buzz

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM
CompClassics's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Carlsbad, Ca
Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Posts: 758
Not Ranked     
Default

in looking at the level of detail and originality of the Jaguar based "Continuation" cars I find it refreshing in the pains that were taken to locate or reproduce the parts that were used to assemble each model. IMHO its this kind of dedication that constitutes a true "Continuation" vehicle, it's all in the details.
Alfa02 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Cobalt289's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 89
Not Ranked     
Default

I agree. See, for example, the recent extended piece on The Grand Tour featuring the new "old" Jaguar and Aston-Martin, with all their originality, and comparing them to a new Honda.
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:14 PM
ACHiPo's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Cobra Make, Engine: ERA ordered, SPF 369 to scratch the itch
Posts: 341
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
No indication of price. Guessing its a case of if you have to ask, you cant afford it
Reply With Quote
  #96 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2018, 05:31 AM
Dominik's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Cape Town, South Africa/Mainz, Germany,
Posts: 1,416
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
Unused D-Type chassis? I like to carbon date them.
Or 25 unused chassis numbers?

"The multi-million-pound creations" Many shops can do that for this money...

However, nice to see. If Jaguar makes money from it, good for them. I am just jealous.
__________________
Nothing is as it seems!
Reply With Quote
  #97 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 AM
twobjshelbys's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Posts: 3,212
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt289 View Post
I agree. See, for example, the recent extended piece on The Grand Tour featuring the new "old" Jaguar and Aston-Martin, with all their originality, and comparing them to a new Honda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
No indication of price. Guessing its a case of if you have to ask, you cant afford it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
Unused D-Type chassis? I like to carbon date them.
Or 25 unused chassis numbers?

"The multi-million-pound creations" Many shops can do that for this money...

However, nice to see. If Jaguar makes money from it, good for them. I am just jealous.
The Grand Tour did a pretty good dive on both the Jag and Aston Martin. Neither had any creature comforts. The Jag was stated as "one million pounds (Brit currency, so convert to dollars)" Doesn't matter they are all sold. Neither was street legal. They fudged getting them on the road for the tests by becoming temporary employees and driving as prototypes.
Dominik likes this.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony
CSX4005LA
Reply With Quote
  #98 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlsbad, Ca
Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Posts: 2,395
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
Unused D-Type chassis? I like to carbon date them.
Or 25 unused chassis numbers?.
25 unused chassis numbers.
__________________
Jim
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy
Links monetized by VigLink