Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tried to post questions...

And they never show up! Anyways, it looks like this post is actually showing.

So I am looking at a potential 289 slab side build, Superformance. I was able to actually go down to Irvine and sit in a couple models, and with some slight changes I think my 6-4 frame can fit.

In speaking to a respected local shop there, the owner recommended this engine instead of the standard X302B:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-D347SR

This is going to be an EFI car, and drivability around town is key (plus ease of use). Anyone have any experience with this motor?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by jordanm; 06-01-2016 at 10:31 AM..
Old 06-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanm View Post
And they never show up! Anyways, it looks like this post is actually showing.

So I am looking at a potential 289 slab side build, Superformance. I was able to actually go down to Irvine and sit in a couple models, and with some slight changes I think my 6-4 frame can fit.

In speaking to a respected local shop there, the owner recommended this engine instead of the standard X302B:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-D347SR

This is going to be an EFI car, and drivability around town is key (plus ease of use). Anyone have any experience with this motor?

thanks in advance.
That is a sealed, race spec engine and not really optimum for the street if you are looking for a tractable, torquey street engine.

You may want to look at other options. Anything much over 350 HP in the Roadster will be hard to use, you will not have exponential acceleration increases due to tires (unless you run race tires).

My own 289 is going together now and is about 340 HP on an custom spec'ed engine from ATK. With the 3.54 Salisbury in my car, the .82 fifth gear I will have a quick (not 427 rocket ship status, but fast enough) MK II that will cruise well, move off the line and run cool.

If you are looking at a recently built 289 Superformance chassis your 6'4" will be no problem as the footboxes have been lengthened and room increased. I require revised pedal to master clevis' to allow me to fully depress the clutch pedal without needing to move the seat way forward. We can now accommodate most anyone in a 289.
Attached Images

1795 likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-01-2016, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why do you want fuel injection?
Larry
Old 06-01-2016, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
That is a sealed, race spec engine and not really optimum for the street if you are looking for a tractable, torquey street engine.

You may want to look at other options. Anything much over 350 HP in the Roadster will be hard to use, you will not have exponential acceleration increases due to tires (unless you run race tires).

My own 289 is going together now and is about 340 HP on an custom spec'ed engine from ATK. With the 3.54 Salisbury in my car, the .82 fifth gear I will have a quick (not 427 rocket ship status, but fast enough) MK II that will cruise well, move off the line and run cool.
Rick,

Looks nice, is that going to be your personal car or one you are getting ready for sale?
Old 06-01-2016, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick, given that this is something so light (what, 2500 pounds?) and I want an easy cruiser....I was thinking the X302B would be more than enough. 345hp sounds like enough to get into trouble as it is.

Local shop recommended a T-5 as well, which I imagine would be fine.

LMH, this is a street/highway car only and I do not want to mess w/ carbs. I want something to start right up everytime, no hassles in the slightest. Trying to even convince the wife to take it out here and there.

Rick, has Time Machine ever seen a decent sound system put into a 289? Heresy I know.....although the wind noise may defeat the purpose anyways.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I can vouch for the footbox room. As a passenger, I can stretch my legs out and I'm 6'2". WAY more room than in an original!
Larry
Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but with 10:1 compression ratio (presumably static CR) and 226° duration @ 0.050" lift, that doesn't seem too radical for the street.

Ford Performance Parts describes the cam this way: "This cam provides a noticeable power improvement and lumpy idle while maintaining good driveability with a manual transmission. Works well with carburetors or mass air fuel injection." https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6250-F303
keezling likes this.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

That is not a radical engine. It looks great for street performance on pump gas and had some nice pieces inside. Now if your looking for a mild build and something that is tame, something that maybe your wife can drive Ok then a 350HP combo might be something to your liking. But to say this combo or something over 350HP is not street worthy in a light car is misleading. Everybody is different. Once you get use to say 350HP--and you will--- you'll want more.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET_COP View Post
That is not a radical engine. It looks great for street performance on pump gas and had some nice pieces inside. Now if your looking for a mild build and something that is tame, something that maybe your wife can drive Ok then a 350HP combo might be something to your liking. But to say this combo or something over 350HP is not street worthy in a light car is misleading. Everybody is different. Once you get use to say 350HP--and you will--- you'll want more.

That was the point the shop owner made....said if I went w/ the 345HP I'd eventually want more.

I do trust his knowledge - he had several 289/427/GT-40 builds going on, and his shop is completely full of customer cars.

The Superformance dealer in Irvine also knows him and he comes recommended.

I've just never heard of a "sealed racing engine" before, seemed interesting.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you're not competing where it's required, then it doesn't mean much. But if you have to do some repairs on your engine, how do you go about "re-sealing" it so that it complies?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Rick,

Looks nice, is that going to be your personal car or one you are getting ready for sale?
Mine to drive/demo car.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

In racing unless an authorized shop breaks the seal it becomes illegal in the scope of the track rules. Usually your own engine shop will take care of repair but you will pay out of pocket like most builds. I don't know of violation of warranties with this sealed engine if there even is one
Old 06-01-2016, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I believe the "sealed racing engine" is for "spec" racing - where everyone has to have the same or equivalent engine. Having them "sealed" by the factory presumably means nobody has tinkered with the innards to get an advantage (e.g. Smokey Yunick).

It sounds great for your use, a bit of a kick but not too radical to drive on a regular basis - even in traffic.

Go for it!
Old 06-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That was the point the shop owner made....said if I went w/ the 345HP I'd eventually want more.

I do trust his knowledge - he had several 289/427/GT-40 builds going on, and his shop is completely full of customer cars.

The Superformance dealer in Irvine also knows him and he comes recommended.

The specs on the engine are streetable but you can have a better setup than this. The "sealed" race engines are used in some series where costs are contained and racers are restricted from "tweaking" the spec engine. My point is for less than the $9500 you can have an equal or better small block that is not constrained by the regulations. Note that the HP and torque are well up the rev range as it is a RACE engine and intended to be twisted. Do you want to drive around town at 5500 -6500 RPM to get "right now" performance?

And yes, the "big block" guys always want more power (insert Tim Allen grunt here) but in a MK II more is not necessarily better. 350 is nice, 400 is killer and beyond that you are "dyno racing/d!ck waving"

Old 06-01-2016, 04:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET_COP View Post
In racing unless an authorized shop breaks the seal it becomes illegal in the scope of the track rules. Usually your own engine shop will take care of repair but you will pay out of pocket like most builds. I don't know of violation of warranties with this sealed engine if there even is one
Being an FE owner, I can't imagine one ever being sealed because you're always fixing something on it. But, everyone makes mistakes, even on sealed racing engines. See: Ford Racing Claims Responsibility For Finchum Camshaft - RACE22.com
Old 06-01-2016, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yeah, I thought about 400 would be perfect. As long as I don't kill myself with it.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

But I would agree that it would be nice to have most of the hp/torque available at lower RPM's, even at the expense of the higher-end. I would be unlikely to use the highest rev ranges or super high speeds often.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

The best advice that I can give is to sit down and use a gearing calculator to find a rear end trio and transmission that match the power band of your cam. Then before you settle on anything go back to the gearing calculator and be realistic about what rpms you will be typically running in the city and on the highway. Some engines can run ok at lower rpms and others hate lower rpms. For street driving you really do not want an engine with a cam that has a power band that starts at 4,000 rpms, unless you do not mind having a lower geared (i.e., 4.10) rear end.

You re going to be spending a to of money on the engine, transmission and rear-end, match them so that they work for you. Do not piece meal your drive train together.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
yeah, I thought about 400 would be perfect. As long as I don't kill myself with it.
200HP is enough to kill you in a Cobra, a low gross weight, coupled with a short 90" wheelbase equals a car like you have never driven before. I know race car drivers with 30 years experience who have come close to wrecking their new Cobra(s). Each one thinking "I know what I'm doing". A Ford 302/345hp crate engine like M-6007-X302B will give you more than enough power to suit all of your needs. Anything more, and you won't enjoy the experience on the street.

Just my two cents worth having owned everything from a 210hp donor build, all the way up to a 347 Stroker with a Vortec T trim putting out 689hp/782ftlbs of torque and everything big and small block in between

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-01-2016, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not sure I would use that exact engine because you are paying a lot of money for the sealed racing specs you do not need, but something with 400 hp is perfect depending on your tires. I would guess the RPM range kicks in a little higher up the RPM range, which makes them pretty nice to putt around in until you floor the car. Tuned correctly with EFI will help a lot also.