Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Jag IRS parts supplier

Does anyone sell Jag IRS half shafts and lower control arms shortened to spec? I'm in the process of rebuilding my Unique and I need to replace a bent left rear lower control arm. There are shops down here on the island that could do the work but I am thinking seriously about replacing the arm and both shafts with new pieces. Also replacing the brake callipers and discs.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

These guys (http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/ ) can do your axles in standard 4140 or in hardened, high alloy material. I'm not sure about the control arms, but you can ask and see what they have available. I've had 2 sets of axles done by them and they were great to work with and their work is first rate. I'm thinking of changing my rear to the Kirkham aluminum differential and building Porsche 930 Cv's for it as they can supply the CV parts, but have to let momma cool down from the final cash outlay to finish my car last fall.....

Bob
Old 06-25-2016, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob. I checked out their site and while I couldn't find anything specifically Jaguar IRS related, I get the impression from what I did see that they'd be able to fab the axles. I'll contact them and see what they say.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 06-25-2016, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

You can always shoot an email to Maurice or Alan at Unique. They have helped me with the very few needs I've had. My car has been pretty bulletproof.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8litercobra View Post
You can always shoot an email to Maurice or Alan at Unique. They have helped me with the very few needs I've had. My car has been pretty bulletproof.
Thanks- I spoke to Alan a while back, but unfortunately individual Jag rearend parts are difficult to supply.

Last edited by Buzz; 06-28-2016 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2016, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I found this place, but due to the exchange rate, they are a bit pricey.

Axle | Jaguar Performance Parts | Denis Welch Motorsport

You didn't mention which version of Jag rear you have, so that may change where you can get pats from. Do you know the width?
Old 06-26-2016, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks joyridin'! I dropped my rear suspension this morning and the left rear upright/carrier is cracked, so I'll need to replace those as well. Looks like these guys can supply the shortened arms and the uprights. Since the Brits voted out of the EU, the pound has dropped and that takes a bite out of the exchange rate.
I also found these guys in the US http://www.jheengineering.com/jagprkit.html so I'll be making some calls tomorrow. Just about have everything disconnected, so the body comes off next weekend. I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoy doing this stuff!

EDIT: I neglected to add - It's an early Series II (I think), 3.54:1 Posi, 55.5" wheel flange to wheel flange.

Last edited by Buzz; 06-26-2016 at 03:26 PM..
Old 06-27-2016, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may want to check this place also. They are pretty good.

Coventry West - Jaguar and Land Rover Parts

They have a department that does nothing but rebuild Jag rears.

I have a bunch of parts, but no lower control arms or axles. What exactly do you need?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The broken items that need to be replaced are the bent lower control arm and the cracked upright, both on the left side. Now that I have the whole assembly out however, the brake calipers including the parking brakes as well as the rotors look awful and I've decided to replace those as well. While I'm at it, I figure I might as well replace both lower control arms and shafts just for the peace of mind from having mostly new major components.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you do all that, go this route and save yourself a lot of grief later on. These work excellent.

Team CJ system bronze
Old 06-27-2016, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow - perfect! I was not looking forward to messing with all of the multiple seals, bearings and retainers,etc. This will fit the bill perfectly.
Thanks again.
joyridin' likes this.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

SNG Barrett
Jaguar parts dealer.

Half shafts, pick up a 4x4 magazine and get rock crawler tough shafts.
Few measurements and you r golden.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 06-27-2016 at 03:32 PM..
Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jeff - checking them out. I never thought about sourcing the halfshafts outside of the circle of Jaguar and Cobra replica suppliers - makes sense though.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowan Replicars, 352 4V
Not Ranked     

Its really not that hard to shorten the axles and LCAs, I just completed a rebuild and installation of a Jaguar POSI IRS in my replica. I done the shortening of LCAs and axles myself and picked up all the brake rebuild parts from Rockauto, I also replaced the hub carrier bearings with home made UHMW bushes.

The key to LCA strength is to weld on gussets, I also used a solid round to bridge both LCA pieces. You can find the parts on Ebay, I would find the parts and get a good machine shop to shorten them. When shortening the LCAs and axles, you have to measure, measure and measure. Because Jag IRSs use shims to set the camber, the axles and LCA must be set to the correct length to get the correct camber starting point.

[IMG][/IMG]LCAs

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-28-2016, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
If you do all that, go this route and save yourself a lot of grief later on. These work excellent.

Team CJ system bronze
I second this and was then best thing I did, super easy, and a perfect fit.and got rid of all the seals and stuff.

Overall I enjoyed the jag diff rebuild and the restoration.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well this is what the shopping list looks like so far. Most parts from Denis Welch Motorsports in the UK. The calipers are pricey but they do have the parking brakes included. I will order the complete bronze bushing set from Team CJ as well. Still waiting for info before ordering the halfshafts.

Calipers - complete with parking brakes (one of my must haves):
Girling Rear Caliper - Right Hand
Girling Rear Caliper - Left Hand

Strengthened upright/hub carrier:
Jaguar Rear Upright - Aluminium- Due to lack of availability of the original uprights we have

Lower control arms - shortened to spec:
Jaguar Rear Wishbone - Pair Standard Weight

Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also stumbled across this easy bleed system for the Jag IRS. Added to the list.
Remote Bleed Kit for Jaguar IRS Brakes - Fosseway PerformanceFosseway Performance

Btw - nice work pormgb!

Old 06-28-2016, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I also stumbled across this easy bleed system for the Jag IRS. Added to the list.
Remote Bleed Kit for Jaguar IRS Brakes - Fosseway PerformanceFosseway Performance

Btw - nice work pormgb!
That's pretty slick. I can bleed my ERA in-board rear brakes from underneath using speed bleeder bleeding screws but of course I have to get the car up in the air to do that. Let me see, the pound is down against the dollar - maybe I can get a good deal on that kit.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Good work in getting the parts needed.

Here is a link to work I did with the restoration on a Jag rear. To me the before and afters are quite remarkable.

It started with a gascap - Project Arntz Restoration
Old 06-28-2016, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That was a fantastic and inspiring read Leroy! I experienced the feeling slightly overwhelmed stage when I looked at the greasy rusty suspension assembly on my garage floor, but seeing projects like yours is all the inspiration I need.