LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4145, aluminum body and Shelby aluminum FE stroker
Not Ranked     
Default CSX 4145, finally getting sorted out

Hello all,

I bought a CSX 4000 series car a couple of years ago. Some may recall this thread: Ebay Alumin CSX 4000 series on Ebay

Well, I LOVE to drive the car, but I've had various gremlins pop up, from a fan relay burning up, to rocker arm shaft bolts breaking, to the spitting rear differential issue. I've thoroughly enjoyed fixing these (and many other) issues myself, but lately the car has been running terrible. Coughing, sputtering, backfiring, won't idle. I finally had a chance to spend some time with it yesterday, and tore into the carb, and found it was plugged up in multiple areas, with what I assume is debris from a crumbling fuel cell bladder. Reassembled things, fired it up- BEAUTIFUL. Clean idle, test ride went perfectly for about 3 miles, and then same symptoms as before started to return, as more crap already found its way to the carb. So then I start looking around for the fuel filter... NO FUEL FILTER anywhere, as far as I can tell.

So anyway, I have a message in to Mickmate about either converting my fuel cell into a fuel tank, vs just replacing it with an aluminum tank he stocks.

But, and here is where you all come in, I figure that now is also the time to address some "issues" with the cobra that were mentioned in my introductory thread. I am going to have my trusted restoration shop handle all of these things, but they aren't cobra experts. I know that my fuel lines shouldn't be the fancy braided lines with anodized -AN fittings. Same for the oil cooler lines in the front. My engine seems to do just fine with just a breather and no puke tank, so since that is how mine was built apparently, I am going to leave that. However, mine also only has the front two pusher fans, which aren't really adequate, so I would like to add a puller fan. And I will FINALLY replace my crappy BFG tires with billboard Goodyears.

All of the other cosmetic stuff has been addressed. I had the strange-looking meatballs/numbers removed, and the paint, interior, and engine all cleaned up beautifully with a thorough detailing.

Any other thoughts as to glaring issues to address? I know some of you had mentioned in that thread that I should have quick-jacks, but for some reason it really doesn't bother me that I just have the over-rider bumperettes, and they sure have come in handy several times for pushing the car around when it is incapacitated.

Thank you in advance for any time/thought given to this.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:16 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSDFGT View Post
Hello all,

I bought a CSX 4000 series car a couple of years ago. Some may recall this thread: Ebay Alumin CSX 4000 series on Ebay

Well, I LOVE to drive the car, but I've had various gremlins pop up, from a fan relay burning up, to rocker arm shaft bolts breaking, to the spitting rear differential issue. I've thoroughly enjoyed fixing these (and many other) issues myself, but lately the car has been running terrible. Coughing, sputtering, backfiring, won't idle. I finally had a chance to spend some time with it yesterday, and tore into the carb, and found it was plugged up in multiple areas, with what I assume is debris from a crumbling fuel cell bladder. Reassembled things, fired it up- BEAUTIFUL. Clean idle, test ride went perfectly for about 3 miles, and then same symptoms as before started to return, as more crap already found its way to the carb. So then I start looking around for the fuel filter... NO FUEL FILTER anywhere, as far as I can tell.

So anyway, I have a message in to Mickmate about either converting my fuel cell into a fuel tank, vs just replacing it with an aluminum tank he stocks.

But, and here is where you all come in, I figure that now is also the time to address some "issues" with the cobra that were mentioned in my introductory thread. I am going to have my trusted restoration shop handle all of these things, but they aren't cobra experts. I know that my fuel lines shouldn't be the fancy braided lines with anodized -AN fittings. Same for the oil cooler lines in the front. My engine seems to do just fine with just a breather and no puke tank, so since that is how mine was built apparently, I am going to leave that. However, mine also only has the front two pusher fans, which aren't really adequate, so I would like to add a puller fan. And I will FINALLY replace my crappy BFG tires with billboard Goodyears.

All of the other cosmetic stuff has been addressed. I had the strange-looking meatballs/numbers removed, and the paint, interior, and engine all cleaned up beautifully with a thorough detailing.

Any other thoughts as to glaring issues to address? I know some of you had mentioned in that thread that I should have quick-jacks, but for some reason it really doesn't bother me that I just have the over-rider bumperettes, and they sure have come in handy several times for pushing the car around when it is incapacitated.

Thank you in advance for any time/thought given to this.
Regardless of what "finish" you get for your fuel lines, make sure that whatever is being used is "modern fuel blend" safe. Some of the older lines have a tendency to deteriorate from the inside out, and actually allow vapors to escape causing a fuel smell in your garage overnight.

Puller fan wise, make sure you find something with a shroud, which will allow for a more efficient cooling/air flow through the radiator.

Fuel tank wise, I agree with Nick, replace it with one of his custom fit fuel tanks and be done with it.

Tire wise, if you drive the car on a regular basis, I'm still not a fan of the billboard, sure they look cool, and stick well, but are really not meant as a street tire. Instead, spend the money up front on a set of Avon's and again, be done with it.

Take each step one at a time, forget what is popular, and find what works best for your car and your driving situation.

Most of all, enjoy the ride.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-10-2016, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

100 micron filter before fuel pump, mesh one that can be cleaned, to protect pump and 10 micron filter after pump to protect carb or injectors, don't know what you have. Aeromotive is good brand and they have 100 micron filter with a shutoff, saves getting gas everywhere when cleaning filter.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I have good ones for supply and return lines just under drivers side and another one just before input to the carb. As Razorwire said, use good stuff.

As far as your tank and fuel cell issues, I also used Nick (Mickmate) to convert my 42 gal after I ripped out the rotting cell. He did a nice job for me. One tip that I wish I had asked him for was a drain plug in bottom of tank.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Neutral     

that's a bummer, spend over $130K for a hobby car and it comes with problems.

happier smiles in your future!
Old 07-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post

Well, geez, that's helpful.

If you don't have a coolant overflow tube, then one of those are nice. Some folks, not me, like pre oilers. And an inertia switch, if you have electric fuel pumps.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

To the OP, you will get it sorted. They all require sorting and it probably will never end. As posted above, just be patient and take them on one at a time. That's good advice that I don't adhere to in the past, but I have learned.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Brilliant and well thought out and written! Just sayin'....
Old 07-10-2016, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:

All hobby cars come with problems. A car is an inert lump of stuff - working on them is the hobby part. I seldom drive mine because I'm working on them all the time.
KevinW likes this.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

But at least yours is REAL!
timsullivan likes this.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
But at least yours is REAL!
If you are talking to me no, it's not. Never pretended it was. It's just an early CSX 4000 like the OP's. He's got a nice car there I think. The sorting is all part of the process.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
If you are talking to me no, it's not. Never pretended it was. It's just an early CSX 4000 like the OP's. He's got a nice car there I think. The sorting is all part of the process.
Not aimed at anyone still on this forum.

Just poking fun at a former member.
timsullivan likes this.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Not aimed at anyone still on this forum.

Just poking fun at a former member.
Thanks Pal! No offense taken here. And yes, I know of whom you speak.
Good times!!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Jeez, you sound like my wife.

Actually, I bought this car for UNDER $130k, and I think I got a great deal in part because nobody could ever keep this thing running well for very long. In retrospect, I believe that it was probably issues from this fuel cell decomposition all along.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I take it you have a FE.
Do you have a high volume water pump?

If not look at replacing the water pump. It will make a difference in your cooling system.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I take it you have a FE.
Do you have a high volume water pump?

If not look at replacing the water pump. It will make a difference in your cooling system.
Yes, I do. Great suggestion- thanks!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

Go with Avons, I'm getting rid of the Billboard tires soon.
legenmetals likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG427 View Post
Go with Avons, I'm getting rid of the Billboard tires soon.
After reading some of these tire threads, that was my conclusion, too. Thank you for the suggestion. Now to decide- get the Goodyear billboard stencils, or not? I was sure looking forward to seeing those on my car, before I was convinced to go Avon. Not sure how I feel about stenciling "Goodyear" on an Avon tire.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSDFGT View Post
Not sure how I feel about stenciling "Goodyear" on an Avon tire.
Me either, but some folks like to go for it. Love the BB old school lettering for sure though. There are some nice Avon stencils with big Avon lettering as well.