Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII
Not Ranked     

Heard and understood. I've already got some ideas and a good friend with several CNC machines who works for beer....

Really appreciate the info above - more than helpful.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen09 View Post
Heard and understood. I've already got some ideas and a good friend with several CNC machines who works for beer....

Really appreciate the info above - more than helpful.
That would help enormously.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So kinda cool turn of events. My buddy has chosen to pass on the car (really has his heart set on a stick and a Superformance) so I swooped in and drove it today

Car drives/rides very well. Couple of small items to attend to (steering shift is a bit vague, door hinges aren't sized for a guy like me, seat needs set back and down, steering column needs nudged about an inch or so up, etc) but overall walked away very impressed.

What would you guys say is a fair price for this car?

12k on the chassis, 5k on the motor. Car is titled as a 1964 Cobra which is great for me now and resale down the road if needed.

68 vintage 428 w/dual quad setup with a C6. Car overall condition is a 7.5 to an 8. Older build so a lot of little things to spruce up, touch up, update, etc.

Is low 30's about right?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

A price or value is kind of difficult to judge based on the few pictures and also being an unknown car with a heavily modified chassis. The 428 FE is a point in it's favor but offset by the auto. I would say the chassis and IRS is a point for it.

I guess I would look at the things you would need to do to it to get it to your satisfaction. If it needs paint, that would be a huge hit off of it's value as you can sink $5 to 10k in that. The same could apply with the engine and transmission if there are any issues with them.

Small things like moving the seats, new tires, laying back the windshield, modifying or replacing the door hinges, etc are not that expensive.

I would sort of think $30k would be tops if paint and mechanics are good. But with replica cars and vintage cars the value is all in the perception of the owner and a buyer.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DanEC, my apologies, I should have linked the ebay auction where my buddy found it / see below.

Paint shows well but does have some rock chips, imperfections commiserate with being nearly 20 years old. Overall presents very well.

Shelby Cobra | eBay
Old 09-10-2016, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Somebody got a deal for $22k!
Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I disagree, someone got a 22K money pit, that when they are done, will have 35K into it, easy

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-10-2016, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Didn't hit reserve..... it's been up three times and hasn't crested 23K

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I disagree, someone got a 22K money pit, that when they are done, will have 35K into it, easy
Kinda what I was thinking as well / I'm weighing buying a fully sorted branded car (Superformace, B&B, etc) or this and making it right. What are you seeing with that 13K if you don't mind sharing?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:14 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Didn't hit reserve..... it's been up three times and hasn't crested 23K

Kinda what I was thinking as well / I'm weighing buying a fully sorted branded car (Superformace, B&B, etc) or this and making it right. What are you seeing with that 13K if you don't mind sharing?
Sorting the mystery motor (do you really believe the description)
Swapping to a 4 or 5spd
Suspension upgrades
Shock upgrades
Brake upgrades
Dash and gauge upgrades
Finding out what the heck is wrong with the angle of the windshield and having a custom made set of brackets for the same.(again, do you really believe the description)

Paint work

The list goes on and on, no matter how pretty the frame is painted, or how nice the body looks (not really that pretty).

You and your friend are smart to walk away from this one

Old 09-11-2016, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Run far run fast

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 09-12-2016, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, Ford 427 FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

I find the rear floating differential setup very odd. Is this common? Never saw anything like this before. This thing must move sideways weirdly ?!

luke
Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That said it could be called a 5 link suspension. State of the heart!
Old 09-12-2016, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Appreciate all the feedback. Sounds like my heart needs to stay set on a branded builder/known quantity.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback. Sounds like my heart needs to stay set on a branded builder/known quantity.
It really doesn't matter what you buy if you are looking at Ebay. What you see vs. what you get can be night and day difference. I've seen more than a few Cobras that were "name brands" that probably needed a lot more work than this one if you are just comparing it to the pictures.

Your best bet is to look at it in person. If you aren't willing to do that, then you might as well roll the dice on just about any car.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For the record, this car is local to me so I saw this car in person, on a lift and drove it. Everything seems done to a very high degree (albeit aged/dated given its build era) and it drives very well.

There is little doubt of the motor, I've known the sellers for the better part of two decades.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke427 View Post
I find the rear floating differential setup very odd. Is this common? Never saw anything like this before. This thing must move sideways weirdly ?!

luke
I'm assuming it functions somewhat like the ERA's IRS design and the differential cage is bolted solidly in at the top to pivots on both sides which laterally locate it and prevent any sideways movement, but still allow it to rock slightly fore and aft with suspension cycling. I believe ERA's locating links (which only run to the outer lower arms) are longer however which would limit it's range of motion as the suspension compresses and rebounds.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:07 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
For the record, this car is local to me so I saw this car in person, on a lift and drove it. Everything seems done to a very high degree (albeit aged/dated given its build era) and it drives very well.

There is little doubt of the motor, I've known the sellers for the better part of two decades.
You may know the sellers, but as a dealer, they do not know the car, which is typical of a multi specialty dealer, as they cannot know everything about what they have on the lot.

Bill S.

PS: In the future, you might want to offer full disclosure as to your closeness with the seller. Otherwise, people will think that you came in here not to find out information for you and your friend, but to garner interest in a car your friends at the dealership are selling.
Blue66 and 66gtk like this.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I'm assuming it functions somewhat like the ERA's IRS design and the differential cage is bolted solidly in at the top to pivots on both sides which laterally locate it and prevent any sideways movement, but still allow it to rock slightly fore and aft with suspension cycling. I believe ERA's locating links (which only run to the outer lower arms) are longer however which would limit it's range of motion as the suspension compresses and rebounds.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Want to thank everyone, just came to a mutual agreement on a Big Block Superformance car that was under my nose /local to me since early June listed on Cobra Country - not sure how I missed it in my search since March. Drove it over the weekend and it's night and day over this red beast (two different animals completely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
PS: In the future, you might want to offer full disclosure as to your closeness with the seller. Otherwise, people will think that you came in here not to find out information for you and your friend, but to garner interest in a car your friends at the dealership are selling.
Wanted to address this as well. Until I drove/saw the car in person mid last week, please know I wasn't aware I knew the current sellers. I've been a (positive)part of message boards and online communities for many moons and wouldn't exploit them in such/any fashion.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the wonderful world of Superformance! They are fantastic cars, post some photos of it!