Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default soft top flutter

I have the old style top. What method to keep the top from billowing in and out. What kind of bracing can be done? Perhaps tightening to an extreme? I am thinking about a grid from windshield to one of the bows. Right now with the buffeting I am afraid the windshield will break. A lot of movement. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

I just adapted some wooden main-sail battens from my dinghy racing days and stick them between the frames - makes a significant difference. One day I will get pockets for them sewed in.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I used the wooden bows from a pickup bed cover. Made two from the center of the windshield to the outside corners. It is a pure joy to drive the car now without the top slapping me on the head.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will make up some this morning and try it. Simple and elegant solution is seems. Thanks
Old 09-02-2016, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
I used the wooden bows from a pickup bed cover. Made two from the center of the windshield to the outside corners. It is a pure joy to drive the car now without the top slapping me on the head.
Do you have a picture of that (center windshield to outside corners). Seems like that would go right over and at the top of my head.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #648 351w/385hp
Not Ranked     

I had a zipper installed around my back window so I can roll it down to allow the wind to flow through.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

man aged to install four slats. top is very stable thxs for suggestion
Old 09-07-2016, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I made the end brackets,the bow ends partially wrap around the bow the windshield end is bolted.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2016, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Those do appear to be pretty much up and out of the way (of the head). Nice job. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     

What is the sequence you use to put the bows in? Hook the rear loop over the crossbow then the lower nut on the forward bracket?

any closer pictures of the attachments for us that may wish to copy?

Paul
Old 09-08-2016, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The bows are cut at an angle to match the way they set against the top bows then brackets are attached so that they cannot be seen looking at the top from the outside. The rear brackets are 1/8"x3/4" strap steel I formed them to wrap around the bows. The front brackets are heavy sheet tin bent as you see in picture.
There is plenty of head room for me.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Side curtains keep it from doing this, in my car. If I know I'll be driving at highway speeds I either throw the side curtains in or remove the top
Old 09-08-2016, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Same here on my ERA - no problem at any speed as long as the side curtains are installed but without them it's distressing to drive at much over 40 mph with the top on, especially if there's any wind. I would like a little more freedom to drive with the side curtains out on a cool day.

Also, my top is pretty taunt on top and tends to pull the center of the frame up a little on the windshield gasket as I drive and I'm wondering if a brace might help prevent that.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I first installed the top it was taut. Has stretched a little. Immediately even when taut the windshield was moving or flexing if you will. This is without side windows in place. I installed four 3/4 inch wide by 1/2 inch thick Baltic birch plywood stringers. ONe end is at approximately 50 degrees so it tends to wedge itself into the top framework. Used Velcro on windshield end and then thin metal straps on other end to the bow. Stabilized the top and windshield completely. Top speed so far is 100 and working great. Going on a run on Sunday of about 180 miles. Will report back of results. I want to drive without the side windows. The top is for sun and wind that beats us up on long drives. Gary
Old 09-08-2016, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

To steady my bimini top I went to HD and purchased 2 1" wide 3ft long aluminum strips. Had my upholstery guy sow in 2 channels, one about 8" from the front and about 8" from the back bow running across from side to side, bent the strips into a bow shape, inserted them into the channels. Continue to bend the strips as needed to stiffen the material on the top. I can run my bimini top at 80MPH with no flutter.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had to lay the windshield back some to 57 degrees for the side windows. Without the top on it is less turbulent when windshield was at 45 degrees.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

My solution to the flutter and windshield flex issue was to fabricate a couple of aluminum tubes and a couple of aluminum brackets (see pictures). The tubes attach to the top frame at the pivot joints with simple wing nuts. The brackets attach to the header bow on either side and remain bolted in place. The tubes are removable and get installed last after the top is in place. Installation is simple, just slide them through a sleeve sewed to inside of each window opening, slide tube over nylon spacer fixed to bracket, and attach the back end of the flattened tube end with the wing nut. With this setup, I can drive at any speed with no flutter and no screen flex.... and no side curtains...

Sorry for the crappy pix, couldn't seem to eliminate the glare.
Attached Images

66gtk likes this.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's very impressive fabrication. Nice work.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is a really nice solution. I will seriously look into copying your setup. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Thanks, pretty easy to duplicate, just takes a little time and patience. Once installed, the tubes are all but invisible from view and they really stabilize everything. I've had it over 100 with no issue.