LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Identification

Gentlemen,

After searching the site to the fullest extent I'm going to put my hand up and ask for some assistance in identifying this Cobra.

My buddy purchased recently and was told it was a "early B&B car". I've been around these cars for awhile and the rear suspension is completely uniqiue - haven't see one like it previous.

Don't see any of the hallmarks for the big brands and am wondering if it's a one off. Nice car overall but buddy (and myself who does a majority of the wrenching) wants to know for parts replacement down the road.

See below pics and thanks to all in advance for any info/light you can shed.

NOTE : Looks like I can't post links/pics quite yet. If someone can shoot me their email, I can send a link to all photos to repost.

Last edited by Saleen09; 09-01-2016 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Link block
Old 09-01-2016, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can you load photos to your album?
Larry
Old 09-01-2016, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry, great idea / didn't think of that.

Uploaded pics to my album : Unknown Cobra. Tried link to the post but it still blocks it / please navigate to my profile/User CP to view.

If additional pics help, let me know and I can upload specific angles/shots/etc.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Could you take a couple photo's of the front suspension from under the hood?
Rear suspension and frame is very clean but I don't recognize it right off. Maybe some else will though.
Larry

Old 09-02-2016, 03:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

The general layout looks to be an early B&B, yet the early B&B was not available from the factory with an IRS set up as you show.

Pictures of the engine compartment?
Firewall?
Trunk area
Outer body?

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-02-2016, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice rear axle set-up! Ford 9" pumpkin with a Jag set-up. Somebody invested some money in that!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
The general layout looks to be an early B&B, yet the early B&B was not available from the factory with an IRS set up as you show.

Pictures of the engine compartment?
Firewall?
Trunk area
Outer body?
Uploaded all new pics as requested.

Thanks all for the help, truly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do you know what the wheelbase is?
It looks a little longer then 90".
Larry

Old 09-02-2016, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Do you know what the wheelbase is?
It looks a little longer then 90".
Larry
Reported as 90". I can take my own measurements when I see the car next, probably mid next week.

In person, proportions looks right.....
Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm sure no expert on B&B cars but I think they have a wide flat skirt around the hood opening. I don't see that on this car. It could have been cut off when the body was prepped for paint though, so that's not a definite marker.
Larry
Old 09-03-2016, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

The body has the dip in the fender line where the rear of the front fender and front of the door meet which is characteristic of the B&B. However, I think before there was B&B the molds were used by another fabricator whose name I believe was LA Exotics. It is lacking the deep skirt around the hood opening which B&B and LA Exotics had - but possibly it was trimmed off before painting.

I suspect it's one or the other but the frame sure doesn't look like a B&B which has a steel floor under seats welded to the frame rails. Plus a B&B frame is 2x4 tubing and that looks like 4x4 tubing. Not sure if LA Exotics used the same frame or something different. Possibly it's a custom built frame.

Last edited by DanEC; 09-03-2016 at 04:18 AM..
Old 09-03-2016, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is mainly 4x4 framing in the main area. The frame itself looks beefy to say the least.

You can't tell from the pics but the entire rear suspension including the pumpkin swing with the suspension, it's not hard/static mounted like the jags and most other IRS setups I've seen in my tenure.

I uploaded two news pics of the horrendous door hinges thinking they may be another clue. They intrude on the already tight passenger space almost 8 inches!

The windshield is also significantly higher than most Cobras. I'm a taller dude (6'1") and it was nice to not have the wind hitting me right in eyes or looking through the upper windshield frame.

Last edited by Saleen09; 09-03-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Old 09-03-2016, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen09 View Post
It is mainly 4x4 framing in the main area. The frame itself looks beefy to say the least.

No doubt - don't remember any car with 4x4 main rails.

You can't tell from the pics but the entire rear suspension including the pumpkin swing with the suspension, it's not hard/static mounted like the jags and most other IRS setups I've seen in my tenure.

That sounds a little similar to the ERA rear suspension where the IRS is mounted in a cage and bolts in at the top of it. The cage pivots and rocks slightly due to the swing action of the radius rods from the lower suspension arm and frame mount as the suspension compresses and rebounds.

I uploaded two news pics of the horrendous door hinges thinking they may be another clue. They intrude on the already tight passenger space almost 8 inches!

The windshield is also significantly higher than most Cobras. I'm a taller dude (6'1") and it was nice to not have the wind hitting me right in eyes or looking through the upper windshield frame.
Usually the windshield arms are slotted or oversize drilled to allow changing the angle. Most have two bolts on each side under the cowl that can be loosened and the windshield laid back. It does appear to be standing up too tall. Possibly to compensate for seat height.

I would have hoped Mr Mustang would have checked back in. He seems to have as much knowledge of all these various replicas as anyone. Good luck
Old 09-03-2016, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The door hinge:
Old 09-03-2016, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B
Not Ranked     

I have a B&B some things are similar frame looks similar but mine has floor welded below the rails has more legroom
The windshield looks more vertical mines more slanted
Also many had the B&B name on paper molded into the body above and between radiator and grill area
hope that helps
My B&B very well made
Old 09-03-2016, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Ford FE from Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Can't speak for the early LA Exotics stuff prior to changing the name to B&B but l have a B&B chassis and body that was produced in 2003. The car is very solid and well made but also very different than the car in question.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:04 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
I would have hoped Mr Mustang would have checked back in. He seems to have as much knowledge of all these various replicas as anyone. Good luck
Even I take a little time away from the internet

Body wise, I'm leaning towards a very, very early LA Exotics, but with a custom (IE: well engineered and expensive at the time) rear welded to their original square tube frame.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-06-2016, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback.

My buddy should be picking up the car this week - I think I'm looking forward to it as much as he is now.

First things first will be swapping out those horrendous door hinges. Anyone have any recommends on a low profile/if possibly slightly more cosmetically pleasing option?

Last edited by Saleen09; 09-06-2016 at 07:48 AM..
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hinges will most likely need to be custom made for the car. With differences in chassis design and support structures, "standard" hinges aren't really an option unless the frame is like an original Cobra. Something may be adaptable from another manufacturer like Shell Valley but you'll have to do some studying once you have the car.
Larry
Old 09-06-2016, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Hinges will most likely need to be custom made for the car. With differences in chassis design and support structures, "standard" hinges aren't really an option unless the frame is like an original Cobra. Something may be adaptable from another manufacturer like Shell Valley but you'll have to do some studying once you have the car.
Larry
This is unfortunately true - Cobra doors open with the forward edge opening outward, rather than pivoting in-wards which can make for an interference between the door and the fender/cowl edge. Fiberglass bodies make this even more difficult because of the relative thickness of the panels on some cars. The hinge has to have enough effective radius that the door swings out sufficiently as opening starts, for the door edge to clear the fender.

Even though the hinge mounting points (the hinge radius more or less) probably has to stay, you may be able to crop down the curved arms so they don't intrude as far inside when the door is closed. The doors may open a little wider than needed also and that would allow cutting down the curved (U-shaped) arm since it primarily limits the door opening amount before it hit on the inside of the door jamb.

If you study the front edge as the door is slowly opened to make sure it has plenty of clearance to prevent chipping - you can probably reduce the effective radius of the hinge - provided you have an alternative place to securely bolt it to on the cowl frame or the door itself.

If the doors swing open wider than necessary then your can reduce the U-shaped arm depth so that the doors don't open as wide and the hinge doesn't intrude into the cockpit so far.

Hope some of this makes sense. Probably not going to find someone's off the shelf hinges to work and will have to modify what you have.