Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 09:38 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

These special models have been in the works for a long time and the gestation period was extended. The amount of photographic research, interviews with original drivers (Think: Dan, Allan, Bob, etc.) and crew was very involved.

Many original type parts were sourced, i.e. Shelby bought a lot of electrical components and hardware from a military surplus dealer that was near the Shelby shop. I can tell you that warbird parts suppliers are now out of radium tipped toggle switches................

That Shelby American is offering these is directly attributable to a certain poster here on CC. He was the driving force behind the ENTIRE 289 project and made these cars his end all and be all.
Blas, 1985 CCX, LMH and 2 others like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-14-2017, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Is SA or Superformance going to have one of the "Sebring" Cobras on display at the Petersen Museum event tomorrow?
Old 01-15-2017, 04:00 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
Is SA or Superformance going to have one of the "Sebring" Cobras on display at the Petersen Museum event tomorrow?
Not likely. The cars that have arrived are at Barrett, there are more on the way but will not arrive in time to make the Peterson event.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

are the three barrett-cars with glass-body?
Old 01-15-2017, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
are the three barrett-cars with glass-body?
Yes they are
Old 01-15-2017, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia289 View Post
Yes they are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
These special models have been in the works for a long time and the gestation period was extended. The amount of photographic research, interviews with original drivers (Think: Dan, Allan, Bob, etc.) and crew was very involved.

Many original type parts were sourced, i.e. Shelby bought a lot of electrical components and hardware from a military surplus dealer that was near the Shelby shop. I can tell you that warbird parts suppliers are now out of radium tipped toggle switches................

That Shelby American is offering these is directly attributable to a certain poster here on CC. He was the driving force behind the ENTIRE 289 project and made these cars his end all and be all.
so much attention to the detail and to originality, sourcing original parts, limited to 15 cars and no aluminium bodys?
can't understand that.....
cdnus likes this.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
so much attention to the detail and to originality, sourcing original parts, limited to 15 cars and no aluminium bodys?
can't understand that.....
From the article ....

Fifteen cars in total will be available to consumers,13 of them will have fiberglass bodies, while just two of them will see the same original aluminum construction.

Shelby Cobra Sebring limited editions will debut at Barrett-Jackson
Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can any of the forum members involved in this project provide a link to the full specifications link or give us an idea of the exact length that was taken to produce these 15 cars? I am very interested if the buildout including things like, long range fuel tanks, aluminum T10s, 5-bolt blocks (260 or 289), carburation, ignition (Spaulding or?), magnesium kidney bean wheels,etc, etc.... not just iridium switches? What are the prices for the glass and aluminum cars. I am just asking the questions that the inspectors will be asking to get these cars FIA certified to race in events that require tremendous scrutiny by the governing bodies, ISO realize that only the alloy bodied versions can get to first base with these organizations.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
From the article ....

Fifteen cars in total will be available to consumers,13 of them will have fiberglass bodies, while just two of them will see the same original aluminum construction.

Shelby Cobra Sebring limited editions will debut at Barrett-Jackson
still don't understand the remaining 87%
Old 01-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I think the only news here is that Shelby is actually giving the breakdown between alloy (2) and fiberglass (13) cars, which is interesting in it of itself.

If these are faithful reproductions of the original Sebring Cobras, and limited editions, then shouldn't all of them be aluminum bodies? I can only surmise that the alloy versions will be astronomically-priced and thus affordable to only a very few. Or Kirkham can only produce so many alloy cars for Shelby.
Me. Post #11.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not trying to be negative in any way but only two alloy cars will be built and the rest are glass versions? This would tell me that the two alloy cars were already slated to specific buyers and not available to anyone else from the onset. Marketing wise it would seem a little foolish to create this limited production run, advertise it before the production run has been completed and then not be able to give the buyer the option of choosing any alloy or glass body themselves.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I think these are excellent questions and will all be answered in time, but right now the dust is still settling from the introduction of the cars at Barrett Jackson. Two of the four cars in the collection arrived here late last week. So three versions will be at BJ. Not sure if the fourth car will arrive in time for the event. Most if not all of the decision makers are at Barrett Jackson for the introduction, so official responses may be a bit slow coming this week.
From an historical look back, I would think that you would be able to order a car anyway you like down the road. It appears the information released to date is pertinent to the first 15 cars built. Time will tell.......
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 01-15-2017, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Surely if the cars are being displayed there are specs and pricing available?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:53 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
Can any of the forum members involved in this project provide a link to the full specifications link or give us an idea of the exact length that was taken to produce these 15 cars? I am very interested if the buildout including things like, long range fuel tanks, aluminum T10s, 5-bolt blocks (260 or 289), carburation, ignition (Spaulding or?), magnesium kidney bean wheels,etc, etc.... not just iridium switches? What are the prices for the glass and aluminum cars. I am just asking the questions that the inspectors will be asking to get these cars FIA certified to race in events that require tremendous scrutiny by the governing bodies, ISO realize that only the alloy bodied versions can get to first base with these organizations.
I can't speak for the Shelby versions as to FIA certification or if they will even ask for it. I know many of the run are already sold so that may be a moot point. I have no idea if the buyers are collectors or racers but I suspect they are in the first group.

On the Superformance side we have the cars accepted by SVRA and are working on HSR. We do not expect FIA HTP certification and have no intention of asking for same. SVRA has accepted all of the 289 versions, FIA, USRRC, Independent comp, Sebring replica (and "replica" was the term Shelby used to market the comp cars in the 60's) so long as they meet the engine regulations and have the solid rotor/Girling caliper kit installed.

And one never knows with sanctioning organizations, there certainly have NEVER been any Kirkham Cobras or Superformance GT40s at Goodwood! (please note tongue firmly in cheek)

There will be a formal announcement at Barrett-Jackson and specifications and pricing will be released then.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
I can't speak for the Shelby versions as to FIA certification or if they will even ask for it. I know many of the run are already sold so that may be a moot point. I have no idea if the buyers are collectors or racers but I suspect they are in the first group.

On the Superformance side we have the cars accepted by SVRA and are working on HSR. We do not expect FIA HTP certification and have no intention of asking for same. SVRA has accepted all of the 289 versions, FIA, USRRC, Independent comp, Sebring replica (and "replica" was the term Shelby used to market the comp cars in the 60's) so long as they meet the engine regulations and have the solid rotor/Girling caliper kit installed.

And one never knows with sanctioning organizations, there certainly have NEVER been any Kirkham Cobras or Superformance GT40s at Goodwood! (please note tongue firmly in cheek)

There will be a formal announcement at Barrett-Jackson and specifications and pricing will be released then.
Have csx continuation cars ever been at goodwood. If so they are Kirkham cars.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
I think that what Mark IV was saying, tongue in cheek, was that Kirkham cobras and Superformance GT40's have competed at Goodwood, despite being replicas. So one never knows what might happen in the future.

Last edited by 1795; 01-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-2017, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
yes, csx 7963 was invited to goodwood in 2016, not as a undercover replica of any csx2xxx but as csx 7963, of course with a kirkham aluminum body
Old 01-15-2017, 02:06 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But of course NO Superformance GT40s have ever darkened the Goodwood door!

"Replicas!" "We doan need no steenkin' replicas!!!"

Old 01-15-2017, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, I am well aware of the SVRA rules. SVRA has two different classes for these cars depending on how closely they are built to the original period car, the first class is Group 6 B/P and the next class for a car built to original period specifications is Group 6 B/P Gold Medallion.

Standard Group 6 B/P rules:

http://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploa..._Group_6_a.pdf

The above program allows any manufacturers reproduction to race as long as these rules are adhered to.

Group 6 B/P Gold Medallion rules:

The SVRA Gold Medallion Program | SVRA

So, I am assuming that given the depth of "originality" that is being put into the alloy bodied cars that they should qualify for the "Gold Medallion" program?

There has been numerous speculation that some owners of extremely rare and valuable original cars have commissioned copies of the original car so that they can race it under the guise of their original for obvious reasons.

Last edited by CompClassics; 01-15-2017 at 02:53 PM..
Old 01-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Think the focus needs to be that these cars are awesome and very cool.
Low numbers
Racy
Notable
And different.......

At the end of the day, these are all replicas alloy or glass.
Bravo SPF!
TN Shelby Cobra, 1795 and Phx Mike like this.