10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Fac 5 A/C Cobra starter problem NEED HELP

by no means am i a car guy, for the last month or so we have been starting our fac 5 kit by turning the key for a few seconds whil it makes a little mechanical whirring noise and the jumping the starter post to the positive post on the solenoid, this was because the clutch safety switch is broken and cannot be started from the drivers seat. This last weekend my father rolled the car down the driveway to basically push/pop start it and a great deal of smoke came out from the hood of the car and not the ignition will not make the quiet mechanical noise and the car will no longer start. What i am thinking is that it is the starter or the electronic ignition system.

PS. This is my first post so i am sorry if i have breached any protocol in the posting process
Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

Did you try beating it with a hammer?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

noswad7898,
I could not follow all of your description, so let me offer some basic advice.
  1. Remove the starter and take it to any of the chain auto parts stores to be tested. They likely can tell you if it is bad and sell you a replacement if needed.
  2. The clutch safety switch can be temporarily bypassed while you diagnose other problems. Then you can remove the bad switch, take it to the auto parts store and get a replacement.
  3. Smoke from the engine doesn't sound like an electrical problem unless you shorted out something and burned some wires or components. I would expect them to be easy to see. I suggest you solve the starter problem and then address the smoke problem if it is still there.
  4. If none of what I said makes sense to you, I suggest you have the car towed to a shop that is very familiar with hot rods or race cars. A standard auto repair shop may not be up to the task.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 02-13-2017, 02:59 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Okay thank you for the suggestions, i thing she just need to be taken in to someone who knows what they are doing, i was just scoping out the possible issues.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by noswad7898 View Post
Okay thank you for the suggestions, i thing she just need to be taken in to someone who knows what they are doing, i was just scoping out the possible issues.
What is your location?

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-14-2017, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

His profile says KS. = Kansas?

The Nut
Old 02-14-2017, 09:43 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery