21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2017, 12:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Holy $hit, I don't meet those requirements, I'd better sell my Cobra. All my neighbors drive Teslas.
No, you are an experienced classic car owner. Just because you don't do the wrenching yourself, doesn't mean you don't generally have a pretty good idea what is wrong. Plus, you're more than willing to throw money at a problem... which helps.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

To the OP: Have you sat in, ridden in, or even driven any form of Cobra replica? While the same general body shape is prevalent among all Cobras, how one's body fits within them can be a whole different matter depending on manufacturer. Seat width, leg room and footwell room can differ greatly.

While the driving experience can be exhilarating, it is considerably raw when compared to other performance cars. Think of them as a Harley-Davidson on four wheels. If you don't mind considerable wind noise, being exposed to any weather condition (heat, cold, moisture), exhaust noise, and possibly finishing your ride smelling a little like gasoline, then you're looking in the right place.

Too many Cobra owners get into this hobby and then realize they overstepped their own comfort levels, which largely explains the many low mileage cars that are constantly available.

I'd recommend that you perform more due diligence before worrying about how you might get it repaired. Good luck with your search.
Jaydee likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No, you are an experienced classic car owner. Just because you don't do the wrenching yourself, doesn't mean you don't generally have a pretty good idea what is wrong. Plus, you're more than willing to throw money at a problem... which helps.
I hadn't been towed in a very long time (knock on wood), but my DD pooped out on Saturday. Car completely shut down while driving. And I knew it wouldn't start again.

Called AAA and told them my original alternator finally crapped out after 250,000 miles. What a POS!
Old 03-14-2017, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I'd be looking for a factory built car with a professionally installed motor. Superformance would probably be a good option as many of those cars fit this description. I'd also want to know that the car hasn't sat dormant in less than optimum conditions for extended periods of time.
Otherwise, the opposites are generally going to be the situations where you have a good chance of running into problems.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Snake View Post
I do have an 'old school' 'mechanic, been around forever and very good. He's right down the road. If I were to bring an old Mustang to him, I'm confident that he could fix it. But, these types of cars?
I would go have a cup of coffee with the old school guy and plan to make it a joint learning experience. It is really not rocket science at all and there are all manner of folks who will chip in knowledge on the rare occasion you two can't puzzle it out together. Ask around, you will be amazed at how many clubs and shops there are. If it was a sure bet it would not be an adventure. Now that would be a travesty.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I concur with others, if your neighbor can work on old Mustangs, he can handle a cobra. If you have limited knowledge and mechanical skills at this time, it is not something that you cannot still learn. Take your time. However, at this pout you might want to consider a cobra that was factory built as you never know the level of expertise that the prior owner had.

Many of us started with only basic mechanical skills and learned over time. Take your time, there are plenty out there and be willing to travel a little to see a car that you are interested in. Wait for the weather to get better and ask to go for a ride in the car. See how it feels and sounds. There are quite a few cobra owners in PA, stop by and visit them and ask questions.

If you would like to see one being built, stop by and see mine the beginning of May. I should be rolling along at that point in the build and you an look at the quality of a Superformance. No, you cannot buy mine and it will be a little different than the normal build, but you are free to look and ask questions. There are good wineries in the area and you can make a vacation week end of it.

Good luck.

Last edited by 1795; 03-14-2017 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-14-2017, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

I have a Superformance (SP01400) and after in-winterizing last year it would not start after sitting for 6 months in my garage after two weeks of trouble shooting I found out that I had a problem with both distributor pickup module and Duraspark ignition module.
So yes, you could expect problems anytime. SCOF Superformace owner form has a world of information.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
There are quite a few cobra owners in PA, stop by and visit them and ask questions.
You know, that's really the best idea. Spend a little time with the guys in your local Cobra club. If you do get a Cobra, they are absolutely your best resource for everything from teaching you how to change your idle, all the way up to replacing a blown rear. Plus, you can find out if a Cobra really is right for you. For most guys, a Cobra is the wrong car for them... so go in with an open mind.
MCoop likes this.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

SS,
There are Lots of well built used ones you can find. Don't go for one that's priced to inexpensive.
Find a good garage or get to know a car guy that is kowledegable about cars,you can trust,have them check some out even if it costs you a few dollars. Money well spent.
A lot of the guys on this could walk you through most minor repairs you may have to do. As long as this isn't a daily driver if it take 2 weeks to minor task it doesn't matter.
I may be selling mine in a month or two
Depending on your budget you could have one built too.
Hope this helps
Not all at guys know a lot about cars but can still love cool cars
Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
BTW, I'm leaning towards a pre-owned Superformance, will be a weekend driver. I'm in the Philly area.

Thanks!
Where in the Philly area, NJ (Cherry Hill, north, south, etc), west of KOP, north of the city, or ???

I ask as there are specific mechanics in those specific areas that can assist you with whatever your potential car may need. Knowing your general local is half the battle to pointing you in the right direction.

Bill S

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 03-14-2017, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Wow - we're not talking about vintage Ferraris here! No matter how badly Cobra owners would like to believe it, there is absolutely nothing exotic about the vast majority of Cobra replicas, and the only exceptions to that are the ones that have exotic drivetrain components installed by the owner or builder (think cammer motors or specialized and rare transmissions, etc.)

The only area of specialized knowledge that is required is in the selection process - you either need to have done some research or consult with others who know the brands you are considering so that you know what parts and components are used in the build. Outside of that there are few cars on the road that are as simple with nothing but basic mechanical and electrical systems.

In your case, having chosen Superformance as your preferred brand, you and your mechanic will have access to all the info you will need to maintain and repair your car.

These cars are about as basic and uncomplicated as a car can get. If you are so inclined, the skills and knowledge you will need to acquire in order to perform 95% of the routine work on your replica are so simple that literally anyone can do it.

The only catch is to go in with the knowledge that your "new" car is old tech and will require attention like checking and tightening and a bit of tuning here and there, depending on the type of engine and its level of modification.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 03-14-2017, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I'm with buzz. - It ain't that hard, nor are they that complicated.

You're all freaking the guy out over nothing.
We're talking about a toy car.

SS - If you can afford it, and are keen, give it a go!
You'll love it, or hate it.

What's the worst that could happen?
You'll hate it... you'd probably flip it for the same price you paid.
Or You'll love it....!!!

Either way you'll never know unless you give it a go.
120mm and Phx Mike like this.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I'm also in the Philly area and you're welcome to check out my car, although it isn't a Superformance. If you're west of the City, there's a very good mechanic in the West Chester area. He's owned an A&C Cobra for about 20 years.

Kevin
Old 03-15-2017, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm in Bucks County, north of Philly. Know of any local clubs? I can't find any here.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     

SS

Come check out my car (it's for sale), I live in Voorhees NJ. Its on a lift in my garage so you can give a good look. These cars are simple to work on, don't even worry about that. I have several top notch mechanics in our area that can work on the entire car though you shouldn't have much to do in a well sorted high quality car. I will send you a PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm in Bucks County, north of Philly. Know of any local clubs? I can't find any here.

Thanks.
Check out the Tri-State Cobra Club (there is a listing of clubs in this site's index). Here's info that Mr. Mustang posted on their most recent breakfast - just missed it, March 12th, but will give you the location they frequent:

March NJ/PA Cobra Breakfast

No club in my immediate area, but there are about 10 or so cobras (including a few Superformance) that get together for rides. We typically ride on the country roads between West Chester and Lancaster and include a brunch or lunch stop. One of the guys who usually participates drives a Superformance and has put over 80,000 miles on it over 13 years.

Kevin

Last edited by kevins2; 03-15-2017 at 02:44 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SP0703 Ford 460 CJ
Not Ranked     

SuperSnake,

I am in Berlin, NJ-about 20 miles east of Philly. I own a Superformance. You are more than welcome to stop by to check it out.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I do have an 'old school' 'mechanic, been around forever and very good. He's right down the road. If I were to bring an old Mustang to him, I'm confident that he could fix it. But, these types of cars?
If you trust him with an old Mustang you're good. They aren't much to them, and they certainly are not exotic. Every oval track racer in the country could open up the hood and recognize what's under it. After that... not much to it.
120mm likes this.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great! Thanks!

Nice to see that there are a few in the area. Once we get some nice weather, I'll connect w/a couple of you to see if I can check out your cars and get some input.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 351W stroked
Not Ranked     

8 years ago When my father and I started our restoration of a Cobra replica many told us that it was too far gone and to give up. We were two carpenter/ contractors that had hardly changed oil. But with determination, some coin, and the help of local car club members we restored a fire damaged Cobra replica. It's been on the road 4 years, 4000miles and I love the car.
Some of the reviews are spot on.
The cars are sensory overload to drive. You feel everything in the wheel, every bump every curve. The throttle is very sensitive to input, you press they go, fast. When the back end starts to come out, it will pass you before you realized it was coming.
Then you have the cold, the wind, the smells
I have started a drive with my winter coat, toque, and gloves. By the time I got home, sun burn and dehydration. Best drive ever.
It's exhausting but it's the best drivers car ever.
Phx Mike likes this.