Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2017, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B 289
Not Ranked     
Default Thinking about changing insurance companies

Here in the midwest the weather is more than changeable. High of 36 with snow accumulation tomorrow and then up into the 70's and sunny on the weekend.

The ole green ford has storage only insurance on it right now and I will change it to full coverage soon. My question is whether there exists a company that offers nice weather or occasional drive coverage for a reasonable rate? I know some friends who have that kind of coverage for their motorcycles so they can go for the new years day ride if the weather permits.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Most offer some sort of limited use coverage. Ultimately as good as they can be, they usually have some voids somewhere.
Bottom line...call Robbin at Midwest, you're unlikely to get a better overall policy for less money that covers the stuff that is really needed.
maurice19 likes this.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF 289Comp #8955
Not Ranked     

I use Hagerty, full coverage all year for reasonable rates.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Chubb may offer "Lay Up" insurance and they let you make payments if you need to. Although they are so affordable you most likely won't have to. My policy is $436 a year for full coverage so lay up or house fire I'm still covered. I don't believe there is a mileage restriction although they do forbid using it for commuting to work. Like anyone would anyhow.
Hagerty in May of 2016 did not renew my policy after 7 years as they say they no longer insure "Replicas or Kit cars that are not manufactured as Turn Key less drivetrain" Which is why I "had" to go with Chubb. I'm thankful I did. Also Chubb's customer service is outstanding. I needed a tow three weeks ago when the ground wire terminal end broke from my electric fuel pump leaving me along side the highway. They answered the phone immediately, spoke perfect English, and had a truck at my car 26 mins after I hung up. I know this because it happened so fast that I had to check how much time had transpired. Thankfully, as it was 93 degrees with no shade for miles here in AZ.

If your car was assembled by anyone other than a manufacturer ,say like YOU or a private builder, Haggerty may look the other way.

Quote below from Hagerty's website

"Replicas or reproductions should duplicate vehicles that are no longer in production, such as the 1950s Porsche Speedster and the 1920s Mercedes Benz Roadster. The quality of construction for these vehicles can vary significantly, so we take a close look prior to offering insurance."
lovehamr likes this.

Last edited by 40k Later; 12-02-2017 at 10:17 PM..
Old 04-08-2017, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance spo2815 roush 427sr polished
Not Ranked     

40k, Grundy quoted me $900+ for my superformance last year. I stayed with american
Old 04-08-2017, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Andrew
I'm certain your "agreed" value is much higher that what Chubb and I agreed to, so perhaps that is why your premium is so much higher. Also to replace a Superformance if totaled would of course be much higher than a kit car. Chubb limited me to $49K. Any higher I would have needed to hire an appraiser. I would think the B&B of Indianamoon would qualify as a kit car which is why I gave my Chubb recommendation.

Last edited by 40k Later; 12-02-2017 at 10:19 PM..
Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've owned my ERA 289 FIA Cobra for two years now, and the first year I insured through an affiliate of USAA, because USAA has always had the best rates (and great service) for our other cars. But I got a quote from Hagerty last year and ended up switching because Hagerty was significantly less expensive for an agreed-value policy. However, they did ask a lot more questions and require a lot more pictures of the car before issuing the policy...

It's about time to renew, so I may shop for some other quotes this year as well.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Grundy was less than Hagerty, for me. No problem getting full agreed value. I’m paying just under $600/yr.
Cobalt289 likes this.

Last edited by sd427; 12-02-2017 at 08:28 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got a quote from Grundy just now, and they were very nice, but Hagerty was about $100 lower for me here in California, so I re-upped with them. The biggest surprise was that with Hagerty, I used to have a $1,000 deductible (trying to save money), so I asked how much more it would cost me per year if I had a $0 deductible policy. The answer? $8.00.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Try Amercian Collectors.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks - I had American Collectors the first year with the car - got referred over by USAA, and I just signed up, assuming they were as good with their rates as USAA was for my daily driver cars. When it came time to renew, I shopped for quotes and Hagerty was a lot less, at least for me and my car here in California.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

Check with State Farm. I am paying less than $400/year for a stated value policy.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried American collectors 1st when I purchased the car in Dec 2015 since I'd been w/USAA 30+ years but they were over $1000 per year. Hagerty approx $750
So I went with Grundy @ $638.00.
This thread made me re-check companies again. Hagerty and American came back within few $$ of the 2015 price. But Midwest Classic quoted $320.00
And I swapped.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I've used Heacock for many years
Old 12-08-2017, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Do you have any other "collector" cars? If so then the AIG (Barrett Jackson branded now) is a smokin deal.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboneheller View Post
Check with State Farm. I am paying less than $400/year for a stated value policy.
Be careful!!! Under an Agreed Value policy, if there's a theft or a total loss, the company pays the Agreed Value.

But under a Stated Value policy, if there's a theft or a total loss, the company pays the Stated Value OR the Actual Cash Value, WHICHEVER IS LESS. And the Actual Cash Value is determined by the company, not by you.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I have switched to Infinity.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
I tried American collectors 1st when I purchased the car in Dec 2015 since I'd been w/USAA 30+ years but they were over $1000 per year. Hagerty approx $750
So I went with Grundy @ $638.00.
This thread made me re-check companies again. Hagerty and American came back within few $$ of the 2015 price. But Midwest Classic quoted $320.00
And I swapped.
I insured other cars with American Collectors for many years but when I asked about insuring my ERA they quoted a very high cost. I protested and they said replicas are often very expensive to repair because of scarce parts. I said really - the manufacturer of mine is still producing them - how long ago do you think anyone produced parts for my 67 Plymouth GTX? No-go so I dropped them and went to Midwest (Modern) and they insured it for less than half of American Collectors quote. I switched all my cars to Midwest then.
maurice19 likes this.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I have American National, stated value (needed an appraisal). $230 a year! Limited driving, special events, shows, ect which is what I do anyhow. Not taking it to buy groceries. I have a custom 32 roadster, that one is only $210. As for the special events, not sure about your areas but almost every night there is a cruise in somewhere in town. With all this said their customer service is less than stellar. I have my agent fixing an issue because they claimed to not get the appraisal and raised me to $500 a year under a different policy. Not sure how hard it would be to file a claim if it were ever needed but based on the issue I am currently dealing with I would guess it would not be fun.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I have State Farm, but I'm only insured for $45,000. premium is $260.00 a year for limited use (also have had my home and other vehicles there for 30+ yrs.), but come spring, I may seek to insure it for it's appraised value.