Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By frenchclubsport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 01:23 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New here and new car : Air filter question

Hello,

My name is Eric from France new owner of an ex. competition car : CObra 427sc by RealmEngeniering.

Since I replace my old and tired BOSS302 by a full new race prepare 351W I have a problem with no much place for my air cleaner.

I read many post here about this problem but I don't find the good and unique solution.

For you what is the best solution ?

1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by frenchclubsport; 04-28-2017 at 01:28 AM..
Old 04-28-2017, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Well a 351 is taller than a 302 but from that photo's perspective it seems your engine sits pretty high in the engine compartment. Maybe it's just the photo perspective. Can you post some more pictures of the engine compartment and engine mounting from underneath.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Hi Eric, I am running a 351w and experienced the same issue. I ended up using a drop base of 1.5" and a round 14"x3" air filter. Others have also used a smaller oval air filter that just fits under the hood scoop. I think it's 12"x8" and you can see a pic here of it:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g282/overview/.

Also to Dan's response, from your pic it does look like your engine is a bit high, what kind of motor mounts are you using?
Old 04-28-2017, 06:41 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Eric;
I had the same problem. I used the low distributor from MSD specifically designed for the 351W, then a drop-base 14" K&N filter assy. with a filter top. This put the base right down on the plug wires so I added a 1/2" spacer. That put the filter top right up to the cut-out in my hood, which I cut out to match the filter (I wanted a bolt-on scoop anyway) and now everyone is happy. With that much air piling into the carb from up top and the sides you can get tuning problems at speed; the Corvette guys solved this by taping up the front of the filter until the power smoothed out and then fabricating an add-on to the base to match the taped area. If all this sounds a little strange I read about it on a Corvette forum and the thread is probably still out there. Good luck.
Bill
Old 04-28-2017, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Was noticing the height of the valve covers and the exhaust exits....
Covers also appear quite high. Even for taller Penta style valve cover....
Consider looking at the type of motor mounts you have installed. I'll just bet that they are contributing to the height problem..... Looks like the design of the exhaust exits at the side would allow the engine to lower without major surgery to the body.... a little hard to see the ground clearance in the photo. Another good indicator for lowering the engine is the height of the oil pan from the ground.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 04-28-2017, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

sllib I need more clearance also. I was thinking of making a cutout and installing a bolt in scoop myself. What brand scoop did you use? Any tips on the install would be appreciated
Lou
Old 04-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My engine is not higt but lower as possible with my Moroso front sump 3" from the ground.

It's british realm with best racing châssis Cobra Ever...but very low on road.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I can't see your latest pictures for some reason.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:47 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lou;
I put my hood up on it's driver-side hood prop for a final check before heading off to the Middle East for a job. When I came back (six months later) I discovered that I had a "custom" hood with a 3" gap on the LS that I couldn't get out, so I bought a new street hood from Unique and a large bolt-on scoop that I didn't like at first, but it's growing on me. What I didn't like is that most of the scoop screw holes fell out right where the hood was laminated on the sides so I had to re-glass the underside to make it smooth. I think any company that makes bodies can sell you a scoop, probably for a lot less ($400) than this adventure has cost me.
Eric;
If you're using poly engine mounts you may want to try going back to stock Ford-type mounts to make the engine sit lower. When I used the poly mounts the engine sat up so high that the side-pipes would not connect to the headers. That and the higher exhaust ports on my AFR heads left a 2" gap I couldn't close.
Bill
Old 04-29-2017, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Bill. I tried the prothane type and the engine was about 3/4 to 7/8 of and inch higher. I custom made solid mounts instead.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I think the drop base filters are the easiest solution. You can have the intake milled off, at the carb mount, but requires pulling it off.

I used child's play dough. I set little spots of play dough all around the top of the filter. Then closed the hood carefully. That let me measure the gap between the filter top and the hood.

I just got home last night, from a two week stay in Strasbourg, France. Where are you located in France?

Last edited by olddog; 04-30-2017 at 05:59 AM..
Old 04-30-2017, 11:15 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm located just near LE MANS, in west of France.

It's not possible to drop down my engine because, we make specific mounting to drop the engine in the lowest position for best weight balance.
My Moroso front sump is 3" from the floor.

I need the best solution : what is the best solution for my car 750cfm 4160 with a drop base... wich drop base ?

more photo of my car.

after bad experience with this belt ... I ran a standard v-belt
Old 04-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Eric;
One thing that pops right out in your pictures is how high your distributor sits in your engine. MSD makes a short one designed for the 351W that will give you plenty of room for a drop-base filter. I couldn't find the receipt for mine, but the part# has 5 digits instead of the usual 4, so that's some help. Also, I looked at oil sumps for Dart blocks and didn't like what I found, so I bought a marine-type pan from Armando's. No kick-outs or humps, just one shallow depth from front to rear and it holds 8 quarts, plus it was cheaper than the Canton pans. I hope this helps.
Bill
Old 04-30-2017, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Eric,
I had clearance problems with my big block. I tried *everything*. Drop base, you name it. The best solution for me was to use a 9" flat-bottomed base and (I think) a 2.75" high air filter from K&N, with a custom top. This way it fits up into the scoop. I checked clearance by placing clay on all corners of the top and measuring how far they compressed. I wanted to leave a minimum of 1/4" for engine movement. It's been running with this setup for awhile and seems to be working well. Hope that helps a bit.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2017, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ram SC
Not Ranked     

What manifold are you running?

I have a RAM also and clearance was a problem.

I ended up with an Edelbrock performer manifold as this was the lowest profile I could find, and a drop base filter that I had to modify to miss the distributor. I fitted a k&n 13" x 3" with an Extreme filter top.

I also machined the choke tower off the carb before I re-bodied it.

on the road 8 years , nearly finished!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

A K&N Extreme or Spectre Extra Air with a drop base will work but your distributor may be an issue. I have the Spectre 4726 with a drop base that I got from Summit Racing or Speedway of 1.5".
Old 05-11-2017, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

Eric,
With the engine sitting up like that you don't have many options. This is not a recommendation, just something to think about. It is however low and will fit up into the scoop. You are really space challenged.

I tried all manner of drop bases and different filter diameters and finally ended up like this.

Works good as long as your engine isn't too large.
Frank