Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 04:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You know this conversation has appeared almost every site just like the big block small block argument and there are no clear winners. Very few of our cars are originals and in an original 60s Cobra I would say stay with the Ford engine, but in replicas, no matter how close the resemble an original 60s Cobra, they are still just replicas and I really don't see any problem with the person building one using whichever engine they like. After all they are building it for themselves and not the rest of the group. And yes, I have Ford engines in mine but they are not even close to originals as I have them the way I want them and am not trying to impress anyone. Mine are driven hard and show it with rock picks, scratches and misaligned gaps.

Ron
Millsy likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 05-10-2017 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

I worked Ford shops 43 years, my Dad 40+ years. Drive nothing but Ford's. My Factory Five is Ford powered. Attend the all Ford days at drag strips every year. I have no idea what all this brand loyalty talk is about. Really, I don't... (I have had some naughty dreams about '63 split window Stingrays. Don't Tell anyone)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
You know this conversation has appeared almost every site just like the big block small block argument and there are no clear winners. Very few of our cars are originals and in an original 60s Cobra I would say stay with the Ford engine, but in replicas, no matter how close the resemble an original 60s Cobra, they are still just replicas and I really don't see any problem with the person building one using whichever engine they like. After all they are building it for themselves and not the rest of the group. And yes, I have Ford engines in mine but they are not even close to originals as i have them the way I want them and am not trying to impress anyone. Mine are driven hard and sow it with rock picks, scratches and misaligned gaps.

Ron
Agreed, though I will note that when I was looking to buy one 3 years ago I quickly discovered those with non-Ford engines seemed to sell at quite a discount against those with Ford engines. YMMV
Ron61 likes this.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

Most everyone here at Kirkham Motorsports either has a Ford engine or wants one. A couple of guys, myself included, are the ones that think the a Ford is all a cobra should run. That being said, we did drop a big block chevy V12 engine into a cobra. What a monster that was! And quite the build as well!

Chris Kirkham
Old 05-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

putting a non Ford motor in a Cobra is the same as marrying your sister.

It ain't right.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This one has always been a hot topic for a few of the zealots, it absolutely makes no sense. After all these are KIT cars that replicate the CSX Cobra's. When considering the power plant for my car 25+yrs ago while looking for an FE engine was talked into the more modern 385 of course once the car was on the road a couple of zealots started chiming in about why is it not an FE. The answer, my name is on the title sometimes depending on mood might say roll your FE car out here and I'll show you why I chose the 385. Never had any takers. These days it simply does not matter.

Bottom line is no matter the engine if the car is built with a lot of TLC it will sell itself when and if the day comes one decides it is time to be sold.

Last edited by mdross1; 05-10-2017 at 02:45 AM..
Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

It ain't right.
Almost as bad as ruining the shape by stretching the wheel base and then going further and stuffing a live axle underneath . Buy an old Mustang or T-Bird convertible if that's what you really want. Sacrilege I say!!

Edit - Many would say the same about fitting an auto box, but didn't the Old Man himself do that once?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 05-10-2017 at 06:03 AM..
Old 05-10-2017, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by C427Kirkham View Post
Most everyone here at Kirkham Motorsports either has a Ford engine or wants one. A couple of guys, myself included, are the ones that think the a Ford is all a cobra should run. That being said, we did drop a big block chevy V12 engine into a cobra. What a monster that was! And quite the build as well!

Chris Kirkham
Kirkham's are mainly about authentic recreation, so any deviation from the original formula will cause scratching of heads, notwithstanding of course the well-received experiments with copper bodies, the billet car and others like the flip-top.
I wish there was more info on that V12 build though. I did some searching a while back but couldn't find much. I'd love to hear more about the engine and it's specs.
C427Kirkham likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

It looks like a Torque Engineering 860 ci marine engine.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Kirkham's are mainly about authentic recreation, so any deviation from the original formula will cause scratching of heads, notwithstanding of course the well-received experiments with copper bodies, the billet car and others like the flip-top.
I wish there was more info on that V12 build though. I did some searching a while back but couldn't find much. I'd love to hear more about the engine and it's specs.
First look from Boats.com: First Look: Torque Engineering V-12 - boats.com

Apparently the company is out of business: Torque Engineering V12

"The V-12 is available in three model variants: Torque 1000, 1100 and 1200, with the 1200 producing a formidable 1,150 horsepower (858 kW) at 5,500 rpm and 1,150 foot-pounds (1560 Nm) of torque at 4,800 rpm."

Before any Cobraphiles get hot and bothered about tracking one of these down, they may be interested in this: "The 90-degree cylinder block and heads, four in total, are aluminum alloy castings contributing to a very light total (dry) weight of 1,212 pounds (550 kg)." [emphasis added]

There may be 'no replacement for displacement', but 1,200+ pounds offsets that massive displacement pretty quickly. There are many automotive engines that would easily do better on a lbs/HP basis.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! I found those earlier after some searching. That must be one wild ride! I hope the owner posts some more about this beast.

One of the reasons for the failure of the company was apparently too much weight in the marine applications, but that may have been partially due to the transmissions used. I see in the owner's profile the car's overall weight is 2650lbs so with 1000hp that's not too bad at all, depending, I suppose on how far forward the bulk of the additional weight sits. Interesting stuff.

Last edited by Buzz; 05-10-2017 at 09:43 AM..
Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

I guess everyone looks at this subject a bit differently. I come from the point of view that I like my cars to look generally period correct. I don't own any rods, customs or Frankenstein cars. They don't have to be 100% original but I want them to look, feel and sound how I remember from my youth.

My cars don't have braided hoses, MSD distributors, 17 inch wheels, chrome master cylinder caps or dark window tinting. I have a 66 427 Vette and I don't want a Chrysler 440 in it. I have a 67 Plymouth 440 GTX and I don't want a Chevy motor in it. I built my ERA to look as reasonably period as I could (couldn't do a thing with that rectangular frame chassis) and I didn't want a Chevy or Chrysler motor in it. But there is a big custom and hot rod crowd who have different goals and want to do their thing and that's just fine by me. I enjoy looking at them too.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I really enjoy reading and talking about the cars that have non traditional engines and drive trains after all so many of us are hard core car guys. If were had to follow a guideline on how our cars are to be built there would be very few doing it. What would there be to talk about or give reason to ask questions about how it was built.

When the Cobra was first dreamed up what do you suppose went through Carrol's head about the drivetrain. Think about that for a minute it was where am I going to find and engine that will work in this small sports car there were a lot of small V8's around back then and all were candidates. Read the Cobra history books!!!!!
Old 05-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

I'll never forget the day I was riding alongside this car on a trailer going to Hot August Nights in Reno, seeing what appeared to be newer aluminum Corvette suspension peeking out underneath, then when we finally got to the show, they lifted the bonnet on this little Bugeye Sprite to show the engine. Uh, were were like "holy cow"..., is that what I think it is, yep, 426 Hemi! Really nice build, very unusual, ultra clean layout throughout like it was actually meant to be that way. It was fun to stand there and watch the double and triple-takes as peopled walked by and back to the car to see if they could believe their eyes.

As the guy drove it through the Sparks show that night and stopped at the center intersection idling along, he would hardly pressed the throttle and the little Bugeye would shoot forward like an electric slot car barely above idle speed. All the "hard cores" were paying attention on this one.

Ron61 and Igofastr like this.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

.....never saw a non Ford powered go for a good price (for the seller).

My $0.02
Dwight and cycleguy55 like this.
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 05-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Not only is it wrong, but there is a special place in Hell reserved....

Seriously, it's your car, do what you want. But, you will suffer the consequences if you ever go to sell. I wouldn't buy a Cobra without a Ford engine, and the market says that most agree with me.

For some reason, the same bias doesn't exist in the Hot Rod scene...Fords with Chevy motors are all over, and equally accepted, if not expected. Go figure. But then, I guess the mentality is that Hot Rods are really all custom cars not really "replicating" anything.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 05-11-2017, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

The most of the specs I know are that it was 860 cubic inches and in the territory of 1200 horsepower.

Chris Kirkham
Old 05-14-2017, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

It ain't right.
...says the man with a 'Builders bar aka Goalpost' roll bar in his hotrod that looks like a Cobra.

It's like that saying in the Bible..."Take the log out of your own eye before you take the splinter out of your brother's".

Who gives a fk what motor powers a replica. As Buzz wrote earlier, there are so many Cobraesque creations running around that barely look like a Cobra replica yet ...."oh, they are correct because they have a Ford powerplant in them". Pfffft.

Build it. Drive it. Enjoy it. That's what matters, not what's under the hood.
Ron61, kyleb and Millsy like this.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

I didn't realise Carroll Shelby did a faux wood dash...
Authenticity.. Hmmm
Old 05-14-2017, 05:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Paintwerks thanks for the kind words

Dwight