Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 07:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I would like to offer my sincere apology to all my Cobra brothers in Australia and other places where Ford motors are not easily obtained.

My crude and sarcastic comment was for those in the U.S. that can easily buy a Ford motor.

I'm a die hard Ford guy. I like Ford motors in Ford cars and hot rod like a '32 - '34. But most are Chevy motors.

My '34 Ford would have a Ford motor.
My '63 Vette would have a small Chevy motor.
My '67 Vette would have a 427 Chevy.

Dwight
Old 05-14-2017, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Pete View Post
.....never saw a non Ford powered go for a good price (for the seller).

My $0.02
Im giving my cars to my son so resale value means squat to me! Letting my son enjoy these cars is PRICELESS. Cars and Bikes are in our blood and thats what matters to me.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

As long as you like the engine that you put in YOUR car, what does it matter what other people think.
Go with what you want, or makes you happy.
There is a guy in the Phoenix area running an 860 cu in V12 marine engine. A little extreme, but if I could have afforded it I might have done it too.
Millsy likes this.

Last edited by MKS427; 05-15-2017 at 10:02 AM..
Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 Narrow Hip Street Roadster
Not Ranked     

Different strokes for different folks! Whatever floats your boat! As long as whatever you build pushes all the right buttons for you,I say go for it.
One Caveat to bare in mind...... If you want to build some sort of Morphodite Albatross,don't expect to find someone who wants to help you make a profit,let alone break even when you want to move on to something else. What's my exit strategy is always something I think about .
Millsy likes this.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Talking Not an Aussie, but I can relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I would like to offer my sincere apology to all my Cobra brothers in Australia and other places where Ford motors are not easily obtained.

My crude and sarcastic comment was for those in the U.S. that can easily buy a Ford motor.

I'm a die hard Ford guy. I like Ford motors in Ford cars and hot rod like a '32 - '34. But most are Chevy motors.

My '34 Ford would have a Ford motor.
My '63 Vette would have a small Chevy motor.
My '67 Vette would have a 427 Chevy.

Dwight
Hey Dwight, don't sweat it buddy! We're all hard backed, thick skinned fellas and the barbs taken and thrown are without serious anger or malice.

I have a thing about die-hard loyalty to brands of all kinds, but with the Cobra, I do get where its coming from. The Cobra is a milestone car for Ford enthusiasts - it took the fight to the Grand Sport Corvettes and the European sports/racing cars of the day and became one of the most iconic performance cars of all time. That is a huge feather in a Ford fan's cap.

To replica folks who love the Cobra but are not afflicted with die hard brand loyalty to Ford's marketing execs and bean counters, the Cobra is a mix of John Tojeiro design, AC heritage and Shelby entrepreneurship (in varying and debatable degrees of importance). The engine, like other components were sourced openly and the actual brand just doesn't matter.

I think both sides can see the other's point of view, but reactions will be forthcoming from strongly opinionated and judgemental statements.

Its all good, entertaining discussion though.
kyleb likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default Just another point of view

For those who live in places where getting a Ford engine is difficult to do and maintain, hey do what you have to do, but put something respectful in the power department and stay away from the status quot if possible.

For everyone else, lets face it, an old Ford Pinto 4 cylinder just doesn't cut it any better than a Flathead Ford V8. So just because it is a Ford engine, it doesn't make it right. Well and while I'm at it, putting some bone stock family car engine in, even if it is the almighty FE is unimpressive. Yep I got me a bone stock 331 FE that purrs like a kitty -- well that doesn't float my boat either. My point is that "Ford Engine" is not the only important criteria.

Now I'm not one who poo poos on someone else's parade. I just think that if you are going to deviate from what most considers belongs in a Cobra, it should be creative and impressive. So if you are going to drop a 4 popper into a Cobra it should be able to blow the doors off of most of our cars, and then you have my respect. If you put a middle of the road small block Chevy in, I have to ask why? Hell anyone could do that. Put one in that runs 9 seconds in a quarter mile, and I'll give you a big thumbs up, even though I still would prefer something more creative.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Some of you will love this!

427 Ford SOHC Powers a 1955 Chevy Convertible - Hot Rod Network

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 05-17-2017, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That Cammer makes any car look good. I originally considered one for my car.